Sign in to follow this  
SB56667

IWC FA Jones Skelly still for sale?

SB56667

So I know skeletons aren't too popular on this forum, but I've got a real weakness for them. I just put an order for this IWC skelly from Perfect Clones, and got an email 5 mins later saying "Sorry, this model is no longer made."

IW01002FAJonesSSDecoratedSkeletonDialDecoratedBridgesU.jpg

I wrote Mary asking if she could place it...in the meantime, has anyone bought one recently? Are they still around? And as a noob, I can ask: Is this generally what happens, that all the factories make X number of models for X amount of time, then the stock shifts, and if you happen to be looking for something on a website that just hasn't been updated recently, you're out of luck?

David543

I don't know about the general popularity on the forum of skeletons, but I love them. The genuine skeleton is usually far more expensive than any other model in a range and requires a lot more 'finishing' of the movement. I guess the reason for the lack of popularity here may be that they are almost impossible to rep anywhere close to a genuine. Reps normally use different movements to skeleton gens and even where there is a similarity, the finish that goes into a gen is exceptionally time consuming that rep-makers cant easily re-create. As a result I think that a rep of a gen skeleton would be too easy for us to know wasn't like the original, which is part of the reason we are here!

Here's my Corum!

e87dafbb.jpg

Edited by David543

SB56667
I don't know about the general popularity on the forum of skeletons, but I love them. The genuine skeleton is usually far more expensive than any other model in a range and requires a lot more 'finishing' of the movement. I guess the reason for the lack of popularity here may be that they are almost impossible to rep anywhere close to a genuine. Reps normally use different movements to skeleton gens and even where there is a similarity, the finish that goes into a gen is exceptionally time consuming that rep-makers cant easily re-create. As a result I think that a rep of a gen skeleton would be too easy for us to know wasn't like the original, which is part of the reason we are here!

Ah, that makes good sense. As I get more educated on this forum and other places each week, I find myself moving further away from the flashy fake tourbies and such I was drooling over in the beginning, and looking for reps that are more convincing...and there are certainly fewer skeletons on that list.

Still, there's something about those IWCs...

SB56667

Lovely Corum, by the way!

graman

Hey...Joshua still has them. :)

SB56667
Hey...Joshua still has them. :lol:

Really? I tried to order one from him last night and he wrote saying "They're no longer made, pick another." Maybe he just ran out...?

David543
Lovely Corum, by the way!

Cheers mate :daffy:

graman
Hey...Joshua still has them. :D

Really? I tried to order one from him last night and he wrote saying "They're no longer made, pick another." Maybe he just ran out...?

My bad.....sorry...sleep deprivation will do that...

Have you tried Andrew?

Or...have a look about..I'm sure I saw one of those advertised in a thread here...

SB56667

There was a similar one for sale here recently....Actually, Lawrence just told me he found one for sale through his brother, but it's more than twice the price it was when they were in production ($245), apparently because the seller knows they're hard to come by.

Lawrence warned me off it based on the movement not being worth it. Earlier he warned me off the IWC Regulateur he stocks himself, but that Francisco and others here have noted the problems with. What a pleasure to deal with somebody who isn't just trying to sell you anything he can! +1 for Lawrence!