Sign in to follow this  
bananakid0

Accurate Tourbillons?

bananakid0

Hey Everyone,

Does anyone know of any almost NWBIG tourbillons out there? Or is it a dead giveaway?

fatarms

If you can deal with the thickness issue (40% thicker from searching for the review), I think the AP royal oak tourby is pretty close from a head on view.  The thing is, I've never seen a gen tourbillon in person.  Most people who see my tourby (Jaeger Lecoultre version) usually never say anything about it.  I don't wear it often, but I've only ever had one person ever notice it and just said something to the effect of "hey, cool watch."  I don't think people are going to be able to distinguish whether my tourby is real or gen, or even distinguish it from a $50 watch.  That's just the people I'm around.  If you're a high roller and hang with people who own gen tourbies, you may be in a different situation.  I don't know anyone that would have the finances to buy a gen tourbillon, I wear it because I like watching the movement.  If someone were to recognize it, I'd definitely tell them it was a replica.  I definitely wouldn't be able to wear the gen article.

bananakid0
If you can deal with the thickness issue (40% thicker from searching for the review), I think the AP royal oak tourby is pretty close from a head on view.  The thing is, I've never seen a gen tourbillon in person.  Most people who see my tourby (Jaeger Lecoultre version) usually never say anything about it.  I don't wear it often, but I've only ever had one person ever notice it and just said something to the effect of "hey, cool watch."  I don't think people are going to be able to distinguish whether my tourby is real or gen, or even distinguish it from a $50 watch.  That's just the people I'm around.  If you're a high roller and hang with people who own gen tourbies, you may be in a different situation.  I don't know anyone that would have the finances to buy a gen tourbillon, I wear it because I like watching the movement.  If someone were to recognize it, I'd definitely tell them it was a replica.  I definitely wouldn't be able to wear the gen article.

Thanks a lot - very helpful!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatarms

No problem, bud.  The thing is, a lot of the tourbillon movements are built in house by the gen factories and the reps have to make due with one of the tourby models that China has.  They tend to be thicker and be in slightly different positions than the gen article.  The Royal Oak is pretty close, others are way off.  In fact, I believe the JLC I have is a fantasy model that was inspired by another real JLC.  Doesn't bother me though, I don't think many people I'll run into have seen either a rep or a gen, let alone what a tourby even does.  Wear what you want and don't let other people influence your decision.  Just know that if you go for some blingy, rose gold tourbillon, it's bound to garner some attention at one point or another.