Theviking

Homemade Pressure Tester

Nikosaldente

Nice build!

I saw a similar thread on RWI a few years back!

Isn't there a way to "Dry Test" it without the risk of compromising the movement in case of leaks?

I know it's best to remove the movement and test only the case but humor me for the sake of argument :rolleyes:

GenTLe

I've the same doubts of our ginger friend @TheFreckledTampon

Normally if the leak is not big and you release too quickly your crystal will simply pop-off (quite violently).

If the leak is more important, you'll not even get the air sound because it will release the pressure very quickly.

A way to fix those issues is to have the container half full of water and the watch kept in air while pressurizing it. Then you put the whole thing upside down (having watch under water) and then slowly (SLOWLY!) release the pressure to se if it bubbles...

GingerApple

That's basically exactly what I was just about to say. #gingerscientist

BenjaminButton
I've the same doubts of our ginger friend [mention=93698]TheFreckledTampon[/mention]
Normally if the leak is not big and you release too quickly your crystal will simply pop-off (quite violently).
If the leak is more important, you'll not even get the air sound because it will release the pressure very quickly.
A way to fix those issues is to have the container half full of water and the watch kept in air while pressurizing it. Then you put the whole thing upside down (having watch under water) and then slowly (SLOWLY!) release the pressure to se if it bubbles...

Now I get it. This makes perfect sense. Took an Italian to explain it in plain English.

Theviking
55 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

I've the same doubts of our ginger friend @TheFreckledTampon

Your right, that is the safest method (with the movement removed from the case) but it's not perfect as if there is a major leak the water will ingress while under pressure (as the air in the case and the housing is in equilibrium). 

I reckon the best method would be,

-remove the movement

-dry test with quick decompression to check the crystal doesn't pop off

-test with water when you decompress then put it in water immediately (still in the housing would be quickest)

BenjaminButton

Am I missing something... the best method for testing a watch’s water resistance has clearly been long resolved. Are we really reinventing the wheel here?

GingerApple
1 minute ago, BenjaminButton said:

Am I missing something... the best method for testing a watch’s water resistance has clearly been long resolved. Are we really reinventing the wheel here?

Dunlop reinvented the wheel and it didn't do him any harm. You closed minded bitch.

BenjaminButton
Dunlop reinvented the wheel and it didn't do him any harm. You closed minded bitch.

You silly red headed cock gobbler. Dunlop re-invented the pneumatic tyre. Didn’t even invent it.

GingerApple

A tyre and wheel are different? Who knew? :ohwell:

deju
18 minutes ago, BenjaminButton said:

You silly red headed cock gobbler. Dunlop re-invented the pneumatic tyre. Didn’t even invent it. emoji6.png

Pffttt that’s nothing Andy and Edward Michelin went on to become world star chefs and have a very successful restaurant :lol: 

BenjaminButton
Pffttt that’s nothing Andy and Edward Michelin went on to become world star chefs and have a very successful restaurant :lol: 

The chicken, I hear, was very rubbery!

Age does me no favours.

On reflection I simply made the Red Devil’s point for him. Re-invent boys, re-invent. Does anyone fancy one of my After Six Mints or my revolutionary mint with two holes... called a Duolo. Back to the drawing board, back to the drawing board...

asmo

I've seen a similar build on a forum next door a couple of years ago, however I still consider it a watch pressure bomb. :D