hanski

A Sentimental Sob Story About My Broken Watch

hanski

My first foray into haute horology was a gen Junghans Max Bill Hand Wind back in 2012 during a trip to Switzerland. It was also the first time I’d paid so much for a watch, about 10x my previous daily (a 1940’s Wittnauer military watch). 

With that, I always took great care to send it out for service to the authorized Junghans service center in the USA. 

DE301-FE6-D767-4948-A081-18776312-D01-D.

Fast forward to today, the poor thing doesn’t get the wrist time it used to. Now my Tudor 9411/0 takes that prize. But I still wake up everyday to wind it. But after letting it unwind fully after a short camping trip, the mainspring broke upon my next wind. 

Thankfully with my experience I felt confident toying with this and I decided to take this repair into my own hands. With a few simple tools I would be able to pull out the broken mainspring and replace with a new one - all without pulling the movement out or removing hands/dial/train. 

5230-E64-F-9838-495-A-8228-23-BDDB66-A3-

First thing remove the case back. It’s just an ETA 2801-2 but Junghans does a nice job on the finishing. 

B99255-B3-CD16-4805-BC2-A-8-E12-F804-F61

Remove ratchet wheel and crown wheel. 

BC920-B1-C-5638-463-E-A3-C5-2-EEA2-EBB85

Remove barrel bridge. 

9-E3-BE24-E-025-B-4-A52-89-CF-304760-C75

Remove crown/stem, sliding pinion, winding pinion, and case clamps. Turns out I needed to lift the movement up just a hair to slide the mainspring out, clearing the edge of the case. 

D70-E50-EF-0-DEA-48-CF-92-A5-22-F5-C2-D9

Check the existing mainspring - yup, broken spring as expected. 

FF08-DC8-C-12-D2-4033-B087-5-B920916-D88

Swap in a new, complete mainspring. I got this from Ofrei for ease of repair - they sell main barrel, main spring, complete and lubricated for about $25. Totally worth it. 

08-F10-C33-547-C-426-B-8344-073-B9-CE8-B

Reverse the sequence of removal to reassemble. Wind until there’s resistance and we’re back in business. And now that I’ve to tinkered with this, I think I might order a hack with my next Ofrei order. Would love to be able to hack this watch. 

So why the story of a simple repair? Well, it’s the fault of this forum and this hobby that I’ve gotten into tinkering with watches, so much so that I’m medaling with my highly prized gen (sentimentally speaking). Thanks guys!

A09-EE322-3-ECE-4-B3-B-9-BD5-0-A37-FF732

Psssniper

Very nice write up!  I always find these posts to be a bit of a confidence booster, then when I try it, everything goes to shiat,

BM284

Great read .... yet another quality thread that really adds value for those of us that don’t have the experience to carry out repairs (yet). 

On a side note your ‘tinkering’ is a rather special gift - que the builds you’ve done!

:thumbsup:

The_Proctometrist

Beautiful watch and thanks I needed an uplifting feel good post after binge watching season 3 of stranger things...

Edited by mmjmmj
Spelling

Theviking

Love your work @hanski a beautiful gen

Piccolo

Opening it up and fixing it must increase the attachment sentimentally as well... Lovely watch.  Thanks for sharing :)

CollieWobbles

Great work well done :Applause:

simey83

Love it! Classic piece. I must add another to my collection. Great thread mate, cheers :)

Edited by simey83

BabaNJ

Great write up, i have about 10 swiss eta movements sitting with various minor issues. Every time i try to do this on one of them i somehow make it worse..