phantom_772

Are 2836 Asian movements generally interchangeable??

phantom_772

I purchased a rather inexpensive Rolex rep last year from perfect clones that finally stopped working, actually never worked exactly right. The case is good quality and worth keeping, the movement not so much.   After trying to work through many of the issues that the watch has, I finally realized that may be best to just replacement the movement.  My question to you is this, if the watch has an Asian 2836 movement with the date wheel, can I replace it with any Asian 2836 movement (with date wheel) and not have issues with hands fitting and such

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

BadPickle

Movement is the same but you’ll need to swap the date wheel for yours 

phantom_772

I appreciate your input on this.

Where would you recommend I find a good A2836 or A2824 movement?  I see many offerings on ebay, but I'm hesitant to bite on anything without some guidance from someone that has done this type of thing before.....

phantom_772
NCRich
26 minutes ago, phantom_772 said:

They are fine, but a 2824 and 2836 are different sizes.  Not interchangeable.

phantom_772

Good to know.  I thought the only difference was a date wheel.  My rep currently has the A2836, I will have to keep that in mind when ordering.  I see some of the Asian clone movements are not high-beat either (21600 vs 28800).  If you were in my shoes, which movement would you choose for the project?

NCRich

28800 is more appropriate.

NCRich
11 minutes ago, Rx4Time said:

Personally, if you are going to go through the time and expense of a movement swap, I'd get the seagull Asian movement (budget option) or an ETA....my preference for a keeper.   https://www.seagullwatchcompany.com/products/seagull-st2100-automatic-movement-1

Carbinet on ebay sells that same Seagull for $75 shipped.  A lot of us buy from him/ner.

Rx4Time
2 hours ago, NCRich said:

Carbinet on ebay sells that same Seagull for $75 shipped.  A lot of us buy from him/ner.

Good to know for future reference.  I saw PBRs link, but wasn't sure if anyone had bought from them before.    Thanks! 

GenTLe
11 hours ago, Rx4Time said:

Good to know for future reference.  I saw PBRs link, but wasn't sure if anyone had bought from them before.    Thanks! 

Yes, Walter (that's his name) is good and his products are fine.

GenTLe
46 minutes ago, phantom_772 said:

Would this one be appropriate for my A-2836 replacement?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SEAGULL-ST2100-CLONE-ETA-2836-2-SELLITA-SW-220-AUTOMATIC-MOVEMENT-GOLD-WHITE/323311090895

I don't have a day/date window in my current face, can I leave the day/date wheels in place and just hide them under the face or should they be removed first?

You need to remove the day wheel (it should be kept in place by a central seeger) and replace the date one with the one from your Rolex which has an overlay.

You also may need to replace (from the old movement) the 4th wheel (running second hand), cannon pinion and hour wheel if they are shorter than the one in your watch, or the hands will be too close to the dial and they'll look bad.

For 80/100$ you can have the current movement services, so unless it is faulty, I'd personally go for that...

phantom_772

My Rolex rep is a vintage style, with no cyclops or date whatsoever.  I was just wondering if I could leave the day/date wheels in place and have them operate under the dial

GenTLe
On 14/08/2019 at 16:54, phantom_772 said:

My Rolex rep is a vintage style, with no cyclops or date whatsoever.  I was just wondering if I could leave the day/date wheels in place and have them operate under the dial

No, remove them, it's not a difficult task... Mainly the issue would be due to hand post height... That's not an easy task for a newbie.