wkl5532

316L vs 904L? Does it matter?

wkl5532

Looking to buy a rep sub

Does the steel make a difference? 

I saw a few newer copies have the 904L but the so called not very good Asian 3135 movement 

The ones with reliable movements are 316L 

Does it matter? Can you tell the difference? 

Simonix

I’m gonna step out Of the crowd here and say.... does it f**k!!

if someone says they can just look at your watch, on its own and tell if it’s 904 or not, they’re a liar!

there, I’ve said it. Now where did I put that tin hat...?!

NCRich
2 minutes ago, Simonix said:

if someone says they can just look at your watch, on its own and tell if it’s 904 or not, they’re a liar!

I'm sure that is useful since he posted this over a year ago.

• Like 1

Edeeot
3 minutes ago, NCRich said:

I had the problem once...

GC

I sure hope he wasn’t holding his breath for a response... if so, I fear we have killed someone somewhere. 

Simonix
1 hour ago, NCRich said:

This was on the unread topics updated only an hour ago?!?!

maybe a spammer bumped the topic?

tribefan

Once the 904L is seen it cannot be unseen. Or so they say. All looks like metal to me.

deju
2 hours ago, Simonix said:

Not true.... if I saw you wearing your panerai. I’d know. 

:rofl:

SteveA

I’ve got a sub in 904 and to repeat part of my purchase review ,I can’t tell the difference,even side by side it’s minimal and not worth the extra cost imho.

FunnyStarSystem

Yes, I know it's a necro thread, and I'm bringing it back alive AGAIN - but because I have a point to make!

Or rather a question. I'm very skeptical about this whole 904l rep thing (even though I own one), has anyone actually done a metallurgical test, seeing as it's the only real way to find out the alloy content? I frankly think it's pointless, but it might be fun to kickstarter a lab test of a supposed 904l bracelet link. I wouldn't even be a tiny bit surprised if it was 316l, why should rep makers invest in a more expensive alloy if no one can  tell the difference? I mean these are REPS! Who cares if the alloy content is correct?!?  I might even admire their chutzpah if it turned out to be 304l and not even 316l :thumbsup:

Who's with me? :D https://www.labtesting.com/services/materials-testing/metallurgical-testing/

tribefan
12 minutes ago, FunnyStarSystem said:

Yes, I know it's a necro thread, and I'm bringing it back alive AGAIN - but because I have a point to make!

Or rather a question. I'm very skeptical about this whole 904l rep thing (even though I own one), has anyone actually done a metallurgical test, seeing as it's the only real way to find out the alloy content? I frankly think it's pointless, but it might be fun to kickstarter a lab test of a supposed 904l bracelet link. I wouldn't even be a tiny bit surprised if it was 316l, why should rep makers invest in a more expensive alloy if no one can  tell the difference? I mean these are REPS! Who cares if the alloy content is correct?!?  I might even admire their chutzpah if it turned out to be 304l and not even 316l :thumbsup:

Who's with me? :D https://www.labtesting.com/services/materials-testing/metallurgical-testing/

This would be an important service you would be providing for the entire community. If you're gonna send your 904L rep away to be destroyed to see what kind of metal it's made out of, I am all in.

• Like 1

mos009
16 minutes ago, FunnyStarSystem said:

I'll happy support this idea financially. Would be good to see why it costs 100 euro extra for metal. 

• Like 1

FunnyStarSystem
10 minutes ago, tribefan said:

This would be an important service you would be providing for the entire community. If you're gonna send your 904L rep away to be destroyed to see what kind of metal it's made out of, I am all in.

it might be fun to kickstarter a lab test of a supposed 904l bracelet link.

It's tongue firmly in cheek. Unless it grows into a movement!

citizenfox

Can’t imagine this is a real thing because if it was I think we would have seen somebody test it with the minutiae we tend to get into about reps. 

tribefan
6 minutes ago, citizenfox said:

Can’t imagine this is a real thing because if it was I think we would have seen somebody test it with the minutiae we tend to get into about reps. 

It has been tested, long thread over at RWI. Some were, some weren't.

citizenfox

So like everything else rep….

Abe Fromen

I've had gen 904L and rep 316 and side by side, you're hard pressed to tell the diff. 

Redfire1066

Is it true that  Slipknot are a heavy metal band … :giggle:

Edited by Redfire1066

BadApple
58 minutes ago, citizenfox said:

jqrcrj.gif

• Like 2

Devil
11 minutes ago, BadApple said:

jqrcrj.gif

Made his account in 2011 and is just decided to get post count for M2M :giggle:

• Like 1

Rozza72
21 minutes ago, Devil said:

Made his account in 2011 and is just decided to get post count for M2M :giggle:

You cynic!!! Lol

countblanc149

it does to me

Horace Derwent
On 14/10/2021 at 18:56, Abe Fromen said:

I've had gen 904L and rep 316 and side by side, you're hard pressed to tell the diff. 

True,

i had similar experience....904L Gen Submariner, 904L Noob Sub Rep and 316 (don't remember the Factory) Rep.

All 3 were identical with the 316 Rep maybe a slightly difference. Really really slight difference.

I mean, try to look at a Stainless Steel watch and a White Solid Gold one.

THAT is a BIG difference ! But all the 904L story is Rolex hype IMHO.

Negligible difference.

• Like 1

...I can't tell the difference and neither do I care frankly...much rather have a decent,reliable movement!

Irishfair3247

Visually, distinguishing between the two requires professional assessment.  They have different compositions and properties, you can not distinguish the difference really. 

1.  Composition: 

• 316L Steel: This is a widely used stainless steel, containing 16-18% chromium, 10-14% nickel, 2-3% molybdenum, and about 0.03% carbon. It's known for good corrosion resistance, especially against chlorides and other industrial solvents.
  • 904L Steel: This steel contains higher amounts of chromium (19-23%) and nickel (23-28%), as well as added copper (1-2%) and molybdenum (up to 5%). The increased nickel and chromium content improves resistance to acids, particularly sulfuric acid.

2. Corrosion Resistance:

• 316L Steel: Offers good resistance to corrosion, particularly against chlorides. It's suitable for marine environments but can corrode in highly acidic conditions.
  • 904L Steel: Superior in corrosion resistance compared to 316L, especially in acidic environments. It's highly resistant to sulfuric acid and other harsh chemicals.

3. Cost and Availability:

• 316L Steel: More commonly available and generally less expensive than 904L.
  • 904L Steel: More expensive due to its higher nickel and chromium content. It's also harder to work with, which can increase manufacturing costs.

4. Applications:

• 316L Steel: Used in a variety of applications like food preparation equipment, chemical containers, marine parts, and medical devices.
  • 904L Steel: Often used in chemical processing due to its excellent corrosion resistance. It's also used in high-end watchmaking, for instance, by Rolex.

5. Visible Difference:

• In terms of appearance, it's challenging to distinguish between 904L and 316L steel by the naked eye. Both have the bright, shiny look typical of stainless steel. However, 904L might have a slightly higher luster due to its composition. The difference is generally discernible only through chemical analysis.

In summary, while 316L is a versatile and commonly used stainless steel, 904L offers superior corrosion resistance and is used in more demanding environments, but at a higher cost. Visually, distinguishing between the two requires careful professional assessment.