wkl5532

316L vs 904L? Does it matter?

wkl5532

Looking to buy a rep sub

Does the steel make a difference? 

I saw a few newer copies have the 904L but the so called not very good Asian 3135 movement 

The ones with reliable movements are 316L 

Does it matter? Can you tell the difference? 

Simonix

I’m gonna step out Of the crowd here and say.... does it f**k!!

if someone says they can just look at your watch, on its own and tell if it’s 904 or not, they’re a liar!

there, I’ve said it. Now where did I put that tin hat...?!

NCRich
2 minutes ago, Simonix said:

if someone says they can just look at your watch, on its own and tell if it’s 904 or not, they’re a liar!

I'm sure that is useful since he posted this over a year ago.

• Like 1

Edeeot
3 minutes ago, NCRich said:

I had the problem once...

GC

I sure hope he wasn’t holding his breath for a response... if so, I fear we have killed someone somewhere. 

Simonix
1 hour ago, NCRich said:

This was on the unread topics updated only an hour ago?!?!

maybe a spammer bumped the topic?

tribefan

Once the 904L is seen it cannot be unseen. Or so they say. All looks like metal to me.

deju
2 hours ago, Simonix said:

Not true.... if I saw you wearing your panerai. I’d know. 

:rofl:

SteveA

I’ve got a sub in 904 and to repeat part of my purchase review ,I can’t tell the difference,even side by side it’s minimal and not worth the extra cost imho.

FunnyStarSystem

Yes, I know it's a necro thread, and I'm bringing it back alive AGAIN - but because I have a point to make!

Or rather a question. I'm very skeptical about this whole 904l rep thing (even though I own one), has anyone actually done a metallurgical test, seeing as it's the only real way to find out the alloy content? I frankly think it's pointless, but it might be fun to kickstarter a lab test of a supposed 904l bracelet link. I wouldn't even be a tiny bit surprised if it was 316l, why should rep makers invest in a more expensive alloy if no one can  tell the difference? I mean these are REPS! Who cares if the alloy content is correct?!?  I might even admire their chutzpah if it turned out to be 304l and not even 316l :thumbsup:

Who's with me? :D https://www.labtesting.com/services/materials-testing/metallurgical-testing/

tribefan
12 minutes ago, FunnyStarSystem said:

Yes, I know it's a necro thread, and I'm bringing it back alive AGAIN - but because I have a point to make!

Or rather a question. I'm very skeptical about this whole 904l rep thing (even though I own one), has anyone actually done a metallurgical test, seeing as it's the only real way to find out the alloy content? I frankly think it's pointless, but it might be fun to kickstarter a lab test of a supposed 904l bracelet link. I wouldn't even be a tiny bit surprised if it was 316l, why should rep makers invest in a more expensive alloy if no one can  tell the difference? I mean these are REPS! Who cares if the alloy content is correct?!?  I might even admire their chutzpah if it turned out to be 304l and not even 316l :thumbsup:

Who's with me? :D https://www.labtesting.com/services/materials-testing/metallurgical-testing/

This would be an important service you would be providing for the entire community. If you're gonna send your 904L rep away to be destroyed to see what kind of metal it's made out of, I am all in.

• Like 1

mos009
16 minutes ago, FunnyStarSystem said:

I'll happy support this idea financially. Would be good to see why it costs 100 euro extra for metal. 

• Like 1

FunnyStarSystem
10 minutes ago, tribefan said:

This would be an important service you would be providing for the entire community. If you're gonna send your 904L rep away to be destroyed to see what kind of metal it's made out of, I am all in.

it might be fun to kickstarter a lab test of a supposed 904l bracelet link.

It's tongue firmly in cheek. Unless it grows into a movement!