SCShrek

New Xeric NASA watches

SCShrek

Never heard of Xeric before but I came upon a KickStarter for their new NASA branded watches. It only took a month to get 18,000 backers at $5.4 million and yes, I was one of them.

I opted for a mechanical and a quartz.

Here's the mechanical one:

xeric-trappist-1-automatic-nasa-edition-NASA-xeric-trappist-1-nasa-automatic-pro

Based on a Myiota 8215 @ 21600BPH, it's 44mm, 316L case, Hesalite crystal (whatever the hell that is),  Tritium (probably gonna get radiation sickness) and Super LumiNova lume and Horween leather strap

The complete line up: https://www.xeric.com/collections/trappist-1-automatic-nasa-apollo-11-watches

Here's the quartz:

xeric-trappist-1-nasa-edition-xeric-trap

Same specs as the auto but running a Seiko VH31. The also have multiple models that mimic the auto lineup.

All in all, I didnt have time to do my research as the kickstarter was running out of time so I hope Xeric doesnt produce crap. 

If anyone has a comment on the movements or have had experiences with Xeric, please comment. 

Because it was a kickstarter, I could change the models as well as the different straps and bracelets they offer.

I love interesting pieces and these qualify in my book but I also realize being a NASA release, they may not spark any interest to most of the world. They make a lot of interesting watches though: https://www.xeric.com/

Wriggles

They've been knocking around for a good few years, seem to always have some KS campaign running. I don't personally see that as a good thing, KS is a launchpad and I'm always suspicious of brands that remain using it as a platform for promotion and sales and don't "grow" into a standalone brand not reliant on a platform like KS. Makes me wonder what margins they're running on their productions. 

As to the watches, I never backed them, but they seem to be reasonably well regarded and as seen by the level of backing, they have quite a following. Whether that following actually know anything about quality watches or not I have no idea. They must be doing something right though.

Personally, they're not normally my cup of tea, they tend to be very unusual designs but using cheap movements and charging at a higher price.  You either like them or love them I think.

That said I was briefly tempted by the NASA models, purely for the NASA connection. But decided it wasn't for me.

Enjoy it when it arrives and do a write up if you can, would be interesting to see

NCRich

Yeah, that is what keeps flooding my FB feed.  It will be interesting to see how you like it.

I'll admit I was much more tempted by the UNDONE Snoopy moonwatches but I didn't get one yet.

SCShrek

Thanks Wrigs and Rich. I will definitely give my thoughts when I get my hands on them. 

VMSG

This is nice, congrats!
The only thing that prevents me from getting one is the thickness...

PabloEscobar

Nice, I actually got the other Xeric in the mail the other day, the Cypher. Quite interesting design. Hard to read the time on it but I'm gonna wear it more like an acessorie. Haven't used it yet though.

Escapizm

Congrats SCSHrek, I was a backer too for my sons Christmas present (hope it comes by December although said if could be January. I also picked the ISS auto, the st steel and brown leather strap look great, the free NATO was a bonus too!

hanski
On 11/08/2019 at 02:16, NCRich said:

Yeah, that is what keeps flooding my FB feed.  It will be interesting to see how you like it.

I'll admit I was much more tempted by the UNDONE Snoopy moonwatches but I didn't get one yet.

If I’ve heard correctly UNDONE is founded by Michael Young (http://www.classicwatchrepair.com/), the renowned Rolex Restoration watchmaker. Somehow this association gives his line of watch cred IMO. I’m tempted to pick one up too - but not sure which one.