Sign in to follow this  
dumluk

Selling Options Question

dumluk

OK, I'm new to the replica world. Just introduced myself to the club a few days ago. I have one non-authentic Breitling that was given to me, and am waiting on a Panerai from Getat. I have several authentic affordable quartz watches already and could always dump them on Ebay if I got tired of them. In fact, I plan on flooding the market in the near future.

I searched the forum a bit for answers, but I'm supposed to be working, so didn't get too deep....

What do you guys do with these reps when you are tired of them, other than selling to each other here in the Member to Member Sales Area? Are there other options besides giving them away? Can you sell them on Ebay with the statement that they are not authentic?

I guess the real question here is, why spend $300 or more on a good replica if you can't honestly unload it at some point in the future?

pollux1

In short, with regard to ebay et al, no you can't sell there mate. I wouldn't worry though as there's always someone to buy your used rep here. Ebay and the other selling sites a re a complete no-no as you'll be reported and have your account closed down. :popcorn:

houndoggie

You will have absolutely no problems selling replicas on the forums.... as long as you price them fairly.

dumluk

Yeah, I didn't think Ebay would really be an option here.

KBH

Just read the sales rules before you start selling. It'll save us both a lot of time and aggravation. Ebay's an option for non-branded watches or gens. No reps.

dumluk

So that's it then? We buy all these replicas from the trusted dealers, and we can only hand them back and forth between the forum members? Seems to be a limited market. Some of you guys must be serious collectors.

myaz

It does seem to get contagious. I initially wanted just one and now I can't reveal how long my wish list is in case my wife wanders here. :o

But seriously, in time, you too could aspire as well. ^_^

Luthier
So that's it then? We buy all these replicas from the trusted dealers, and we can only hand them back and forth between the forum members? Seems to be a limited market. Some of you guys must be serious collectors.

Why you think we should sell them? Some people buy, then sell, no problem.

I have 50+ reps and never sold even one. I love all of them.

Your question is the same, as "How I'll divorce this girl, that I just married today?".

narikaa
What do you guys do with these reps when you are tired of them?

Throw them on the pile with all the others

pile-of-watches-300x1992.jpg

houndoggie

You underestimate how large the community is. In fact it makes it so much easier to sell things on dedicated forums. It is not a problem to sell at all. None. Zero. Zilch.

dumluk

Why you think we should sell them? Some people buy, then sell, no problem.

I have 50+ reps and never sold even one. I love all of them.

Your question is the same, as "How I'll divorce this girl, that I just married today?".

Buying a watch for a hundred or three that you might get tired of in a year or two is not quite the same thing as marrying someone you love. I don't plan to pledge my undying love to a watch!

tesmith2112

You could do Craigslist. If you post a watch on Craigslist, you'll get numerous emails with in a couple days. After you have a few hits, pull the add, otherwise your add will be pulled by them if they discover it's for a rep. Also, if someone is selling a Gen Rolex (for example) for $7000 and you're selling a rep for $200, you can bet he will report you and have your add pulled. Also, if you do use Craigslist, dont put Replica or Fake in the title. Just say something like "Watches for Sale", then in the body of your add put "Rolex DateJust II Rep" or something similar. This way, your add will get hits for "Watch", "Rolex", and "Rep". I would also setup a fake email account in conjunction with setting up your Craigslist account. When you do get emails, google the hell out of the buyer's name and email address and hopefully you can find their Facebook or LinkenIn account. This will confirm they are someone other than law enforcement. Never use your real name, never give them your number, if you have to call them, call as private. Always meet in public, always make sure they bring cash, and always agree to a specific dollar amount before they show. The last thing you want to do is haggle. You want to be in and out quick. And lastly, if you dont have a good vibe, dont show.

Or you can just sell in the members to members section, you will not make a profit, but you can recoup some of your expenses, just enough to justify the hobby.

Luthier
Buying a watch for a hundred or three that you might get tired of in a year or two is not quite the same thing as marrying someone you love. I don't plan to pledge my undying love to a watch!

Hundred or three - not a big money, and if you planning to sell it in the future - then sell it, big deal?

I buy the watch only if I like it very much, and it mean I'll never sell it.

We call it "collection".

^_^

dingle

What are you trying to get at dumluk?

:lol:

dumluk

@ dingleberry...

What I'm trying to get at is simply what my original post said...in the authentic world I've always been able to turn over various parts of my collection that weren't doing it for me anymore, and wondered what honest options there are in the rep world.

I understand now that you guys are my buying public if/when any of my reps gets old for me....when I want a divorce, as Luthier might say, I'll be handing my former sweetheart off to one of you.

Just trying to understand the rep world, not trying to ruffle any feathers.

@ tesmith2112...thanks for your tips on Craigslist. Sounds like potential trouble, so I'll stay out of there, though a quick search this morning found lots of items listed as replicas, including this U-boat:

http://fortmyers.craigslist.org/col/jwl/2375682670.html

KBH

If you don't get any bites here, there are at least 3 other rep forums that allow sales, although each has their own separate sales rules. Generally speaking, it's very easy to sell reps as long as they are priced fairly.

chum_2000_uk

Hundred or three - not a big money, and if you planning to sell it in the future - then sell it, big deal?

I buy the watch only if I like it very much, and it mean I'll never sell it.

We call it "collection".

:P

Just because you don't find $100-$300 a lot of money, it may be to some people. I told a friend last night about my latest watch purchase, and told him I'd spent £110 on it (around $180?) and he was like bloody hell! He has never spent more than £50 on a watch. When I told him that's nowhere near the most I've ever spent on a watch he was gobsmacked.

We're all in different circumstances Luthier. You shouldn't preach to people like we should all do and think the same way as you do. Just my 2p

Member X

'Tis a fair point on the cost - we are not all as flush as Luth ;) :P

Having a limited budget does reduce the amount of purchases you sell on, though, as it's likely you really REALLY wanted your purchases out of all the options and are therefore unlikely to fall out of love with it :)

Although I never convert my purchase prices into proper money (£ ;)) as it would scare me LoL :rofl: