NCRich

Vintage Sea Dwellers

GingerApple
4 minutes ago, SCShrek said:

I'm sure the correct answer is to remove it and start over...

Don't say that! I'm going to pray my puffy lume is more akin to a curvaceous size 12 with lumps in all the right places rather than a minging, fat heifer for whom the phrase 'ten pinter' was invented.

FudgyDocker

Sounds like a shit Rap artist - Puffy Luminova.

NCRich
1 hour ago, TheFreckledTampon said:

Looking good! I hope mine turns out like that. Does the puffy lume cause any issues with the hands? There's still plenty of clearance for the minute and seconds hands?

On these plenty of room. On some the combination of the dial thickness and the pinion height can cause interference.  People do sand the lume down if it interferes because you really can't remove it without messing up the dial.  JK factory dials with 2813s or 2836s are no problem.

1 hour ago, TheFreckledTampon said:

Looking good! I hope mine turns out like that. Does the puffy lume cause any issues with the hands? There's still plenty of clearance for the minute and seconds hands?

On these plenty of room. On some the combination of the dial thickness and the pinion height can cause interference.  People do sand the lume down if it interferes because you really can't remove it without messing up the dial.  JK factory dials with 2813s or 2836s are no problem.

SCShrek
23 minutes ago, FudgyDocker said:

Sounds like a shit Rap artist - Puffy Luminova.

:rofl:

16 minutes ago, NCRich said:

@TheFreckledTampon Translation: Dont fuck it up the first time! ;)

GingerApple
9 minutes ago, SCShrek said:

:rofl:

@TheFreckledTampon Translation: Dont fuck it up the first time! ;)

It's too late for that, it's all done - just waiting for it to dry. It does look very puffy! I think it's dried like expanding foam!

28 minutes ago, NCRich said:

Good to know, ta!

SCShrek
3 minutes ago, TheFreckledTampon said:

It's too late for that, it's all done - just waiting for it to dry. It does look very puffy! I think it's dried like expanding foam!

We expect some pics when all said and done!

The lume on my two SD's like this are perfect....because I bought the 2 in this post from Rich :rofl:. He got me hooked with the Milgauss and the 6204 sub tutorial. They arrive today. Beware, Rich is an enabler. LOL. I just keep getting deeper...:digging2:

NCRich
5 minutes ago, SCShrek said:

Beware, Rich is an enabler. LOL. I just keep getting deeper...:digging2:

I live to serve.  :lol:

GingerApple
20 minutes ago, SCShrek said:

We expect some pics when all said and done!

Here it is so far, before and after. Lots of variation in colour and a few shitty shapes, but on the wrist, behind the plexi, it should do. I'll also fuck something up putting it back together, I always do, but that's the fun! Don't just buy from Rich, good as they are, give it a go!

OEA4.jpg OvGj.jpg ON8I.jpg

Theviking

Well done ginge, that's some great work. Matt spray can help too.

SCShrek
15 minutes ago, TheFreckledTampon said:

Here it is so far, before and after. Lots of variation in colour and a few shitty shapes, but on the wrist, behind the plexi, it should do. I'll also fuck something up putting it back together, I always do, but that's the fun! Don't just buy from Rich, good as they are, give it a go!

Damn dude, that does look good! Congrats. 

FudgyDocker

@TheFreckledTampon - definitely want to see pics of that, when it's done. If it's really a first effort, it's pretty good so far.

GingerApple
16 minutes ago, Theviking said:

Well done ginge, that's some great work. Matt spray can help too.

Cheers dude (and everyone). Can you just spray the whole thing, it won't affect the lume?

3 minutes ago, FudgyDocker said:

If it's really a first effort, it's pretty good so far.

Did I say it was my first? It's not. It's my second. I fucked up a vintage speedy once. Although, in my defence, I had a defective/cheap insert that melted into bare metal at the barest whiff of bleach, that aside it was ok.

NCRich
29 minutes ago, TheFreckledTampon said:

Nice job!  You used the lume with the white glue binder?  If so take a rounded wooden toothpick and carefully push that lume that is outside the line back inside the lines.  CAREFULLY.  If you scuff the dial its no big deal, use some matte lacquer and the dial will be fine.  Actually better.  If the lume is uneven you can smooth it carefully with the toothpick as well (within reason)  The lume will be pliable for a few hours.

And I agree, try it yourself.  Its why I take the time to write tutorials.

Its also better to lume hands with the other side up.  Lume from beneath.

SCShrek
26 minutes ago, TheFreckledTampon said:

Don't just buy from Rich, good as they are, give it a go!

Just started dipping into my own modding. All I can say is Rich is one patient person! But that's what these two are for....

OGYi.jpg

NCRich
5 minutes ago, SCShrek said:

Just started dipping into my own modding. All I can say is Rich is one patient person! But that's what these two are for....

OGYi.jpg

Be extremely careful with those inserts too. 

GingerApple
5 minutes ago, NCRich said:

Nice job!  You used the lume with the white glue binder?  

Praise from the master is true praise indeed! All thanks to your tutorials, I'd never have tried without them :thumbsup: 

It is the lume with the white binder. I tried pushing it back a bit as your described - exactly as you described actually - but I bottled it as I worried I'd make it worse. It's drying now, I think that ship has sailed.

Re the hands, that is the underneath. At least I think it is! Fuck! I hope it is. I certainly intended to lume from the underneath...

SCShrek
4 minutes ago, NCRich said:

Be extremely careful with those inserts too. 

I hope it's only the DS inserts that wont bleach. You are talking about the bleaching?

NCRich
8 minutes ago, SCShrek said:

I hope it's only the DS inserts that wont bleach. You are talking about the bleaching?

Yeah, those don't beach as well as they used to.  I actually thought it was the bleach I was using so I bought another brand.  No diff.

That milgauss one will bleach, but it didn't work like the first one I did.  They are using different sources now.  The 6204 I think I did something other than bleach.  I need to look back at the pics.  Don't do anything with the inserts until you PM me.  Wait till you get to that point.

15 minutes ago, TheFreckledTampon said:

Praise from the master is true praise indeed! All thanks to your tutorials, I'd never have tried without them :thumbsup: 

It is the lume with the white binder. I tried pushing it back a bit as your described - exactly as you described actually - but I bottled it as I worried I'd make it worse. It's drying now, I think that ship has sailed.

Re the hands, that is the underneath. At least I think it is! Fuck! I hope it is. I certainly intended to lume from the underneath...

No, I meant lume them with the money side up.  Like this

V339tkQ.jpg

SCShrek
1 minute ago, NCRich said:

Yeah, those don't beach as well as they used to.  I actually thought it was the bleach I was using so I bought another brand.  No diff.

That milgauss one will bleach, but it didn't work like the first one I did.  They are using different sources now.  The 6204 I think I did something other than bleach.  I need to look back at the pics.  Don't do anything with the inserts until you PM me.  Wait till you get to that point.

@TheFreckledTampon Wanna bet that I end up with a ghost sub being my first try??? LOL

@NCRichCase work first, then dial, then I'll ask about the insert..

Mrluwin

@TheFreckledTampon good effort on the lume, I’ve got one of these with the intention of doing some tweaking and I might give the lume a go now, if you don’t mind me asking what did you use to do it? I’ve seen a lot on eBay that looks decent but if you’ve got any tips they would be welcome

GingerApple
16 minutes ago, NCRich said:

No, I meant lume them with the money side up.  Like this

Hang on, I'm possibly confused. Do you mean to have the visible/polished side facing upwards (on long sticks like yours), and lume them from underneath?

GingerApple
15 minutes ago, Mrluwin said:

@TheFreckledTampon good effort on the lume, I’ve got one of these with the intention of doing some tweaking and I might give the lume a go now, if you don’t mind me asking what did you use to do it? I’ve seen a lot on eBay that looks decent but if you’ve got any tips they would be welcome

Cheers! I watched the watch repair channel guy relume hands over three videos (part 1 below). I also watched a video by Cwazy reluming a dial, which was ok. I just used a small oiler,  a magnifying headset thingy and just went for it!

Mrluwin

Thanks mate I’ll check that out :thumbsup2:

SCShrek
1 minute ago, Mrluwin said:

Thanks mate I’ll check that out :thumbsup2:

There's a good bit on you tube about re-lume projects.

Intresting

wow!  Learning something new again for the weekend.  :)