Jump to content
NCRich

Vintage Sea Dwellers

Recommended Posts

trolexlover

Hi, the Comex loog good with this DW but how is the case profile on these rep? I see them quite fat when i compare to gen but i am wrong for sure.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheGingerFerret
On 13/08/2019 at 12:33, NCRich said:

The DRSD has the Cousins tropic 39

I couldn't help but jump on this bandwagon - these really are tremendous value for $100. Before I start tinkering, can I ask what the t39 adds over the stock plexiglass that the DRSD came with?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Flinnt

I just received one of these, mainly to practice hand removing and replacing and other dexterity skills before doing it to my expensive reps, and maybe to have a go at doing lume. I had hoped to get some use of it too but I must say the bracelet is just trash, I don’t think I can stand using it after being used to much better ones. 

Anyone know a decent cheap replacement bracelet, or do I need to put it on a strap instead? I mostly prefer bracelets on these. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NCRich
13 minutes ago, Flinnt said:

I just received one of these, mainly to practice hand removing and replacing and other dexterity skills before doing it to my expensive reps, and maybe to have a go at doing lume. I had hoped to get some use of it too but I must say the bracelet is just trash, I don’t think I can stand using it after being used to much better ones. 

Anyone know a decent cheap replacement bracelet, or do I need to put it on a strap instead? I mostly prefer bracelets on these. 

The bracelet is EXACTLY what it is supposed to be.  Gens had the same bracelet.  Modern bracelets look silly on a vintage watch.  Its one of the closest reproductions to gen I've seen.  Polish any sharp edges and oil it and you could not tell the diff between it and gen.  Modern bracelets are better because, well, they are modern.  If you don't like it put it on a nato or strap.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Flinnt
1 minute ago, NCRich said:

The bracelet is EXACTLY what it is supposed to be.  Gens had the same bracelet.  Modern bracelets look silly on a vintage watch.  Its one of the closest reproductions to gen I've seen.  Polish any sharp edges and oil it and you could not tell the diff between it and gen.  Modern bracelets are better because, well, they are modern.  If you don't like it put it on a nato or strap.

 

Yeah I thought that may be the case. I remember some old watches that had similar feeling bracelets. I’m just spoiled now with solid feeling bracelets. May have to go leather. Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NCRich
56 minutes ago, TheFreckledTampon said:

I couldn't help but jump on this bandwagon - these really are tremendous value for $100. Before I start tinkering, can I ask what the t39 adds over the stock plexiglass that the DRSD came with?

Its just better.  Its subjective.  Some people like the dome that it comes with.  I've had probably every plexi out there and I prefer the T39.  It is heavy duty and does not distort the dial.  I've got a comparison thread of Tropic 19 alternatives floating somewhere on the board.  I kind of like the factory plexi on the DRSD.  I finished this one this morning and its got the factory plexi on it.

IMG-4556.jpg

You will have difficulty fitting it as they have changed the retaining ring.  The ring is too small which makes it impossible to press it over the plexi without modifying either the plexi or the ring.  On your first attempt just stick with the provided plexi.  Its screwed up since it now doesn't function like it should.  They have been using glue to hold it together.  I can make it work by modifying stuff but it used to be easier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NCRich

Oh and watch the bleach on the insert.  Its not working on the factory supplied one.  Just destroys it.  The one on the DRSD is a replacement from Cousins that I lightly bleached and sanded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Flinnt
2 hours ago, NCRich said:

Oh and watch the bleach on the insert.  Its not working on the factory supplied one.  Just destroys it.  The one on the DRSD is a replacement from Cousins that I lightly bleached and sanded.

Thanks for the heads up. I was going to bleach mine. Any tips on ageing the factory insert given the bleach is out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheGingerFerret

 Wowsers, @NCRich coming to the rescue in advance with those handy tips!!! Thanks big guy, you just saved me the ignominy of a second, unplanned ghost bezel! The reason I asked about the plexi was because I do like the stock, domed one and so wondered off it was worth changing. It certainly isn't now! Thanks Rich.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Theviking

To me the distortion on the stock crystal is unacceptable, and i imagine it would be unacceptable on a gen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NCRich
13 minutes ago, Theviking said:

To me the distortion on the stock crystal is unacceptable, and i imagine it would be unacceptable on a gen.

Stock crystal is a reproduction of the rolex superdome, and the superdome distorts it too.  Some people like that.  If you read the history of the tropic 19 you would know that its all over the place on gens.  Sizes changed 4 or 5 times as did the actual shape of the plexi.   The retaining ring on this model is a service item.  Meaning they threw it away on service.  So they didn't keep the plexi the same size.  Just the outside of the retaining ring stays the same.  Inside varies.  This isn't even all of the plexi sizes:

http://www.ofrei.com/page419.html

I make this suggestion to everyone, don't get hung up on "right."  Get what you like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheGingerFerret

Exactly, wise words. I love a bit of distortion, I find it really sexy. Like on the Fiddy, the modern DSSD and many others. I love it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NCRich

@TheFreckledTampon @Flinnt So this is what happens to the insert with bleach now.

IMG-4564.jpg

You can try using a green scotchbrite pad or careful sandpaper.  Some people recommend drain cleaner.  The paint on this just doesn't fade, it comes off.  For a good even result that looks older but not destroyed you can always just spray it with matte lacquer.  That takes the shine off and I find it a good look.

If you destroy it Cousins charge about 8 pounds for a new one.  And that one will fade.  Just swap the pearl over.

For the dial, most people on their first attempt bake the dial.  Just watch it carefully as it can go bad fast.  Here is one I found in my box that I did years ago.

IMG-4565.jpg

Darkens it down and takes some of the shine off.  Maybe get a bit of brown on there for a tropical look.  Then you could matte spray it.

Reluming does the best job, but that is a lot harder.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Flinnt

Thanks for the advice. This is the first watch I want to do mods to as it’s just not right looking brand new. (Some may say I modded my hulk but really just swapped parts to make it look the way I like.) Totally agree to just go for what you like. 

I finally received all my tools to start servicing movements which is really what I’m interested in. Bought the DRSD to practice some dexterity on because it’s cheap and I like it so will still wear it too, but as said it’s just not right looking brand new so now I’m interested in some mild mods to age it now. 

Thanks again NCRich. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Theviking
3 hours ago, NCRich said:

Stock crystal is a reproduction of the rolex superdome, and the superdome distorts it too.  Some people like that.  If you read the history of the tropic 19 you would know that its all over the place on gens.  Sizes changed 4 or 5 times as did the actual shape of the plexi.   The retaining ring on this model is a service item.  Meaning they threw it away on service.  So they didn't keep the plexi the same size.  Just the outside of the retaining ring stays the same.  Inside varies.  This isn't even all of the plexi sizes:

http://www.ofrei.com/page419.html

I make this suggestion to everyone, don't get hung up on "right."  Get what you like.

Well, that's me told.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheGingerFerret

Ditto what Flint said Rich, super helpful as always, the king of the vintage mod!

Well, I've gone for full a relume and it's done at least. It's a bit shit close up, but I'm hopeful it will be okay on the wrist.

Last question Rich, I promise (until the next time); how long do you need to leave the lume to dry properly before I can hide this monstrosity recase it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NCRich
36 minutes ago, TheFreckledTampon said:

Ditto what Flint said Rich, super helpful as always, the king of the vintage mod!

Well, I've gone for full a relume and it's done at least. It's a bit shit close up, but I'm hopeful it will be okay on the wrist.

Last question Rich, I promise (until the next time); how long do you need to leave the lume to dry properly before I can hide this monstrosity recase it?

I give it a full day.  In the UK that is probably a week :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheGingerFerret
6 minutes ago, NCRich said:

I give it a full day.  In the UK that is probably a week :lol:

Nonsense, we have terrific weather!

[*Runs and puts dial in airing cupboard to help things along]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Popperini
The one on the DRSD is a replacement from Cousins that I lightly bleached and sanded.
Cousins do an insert? Dammit, I wish I knew ALL the things Cousins do - their website’s not exactly the best/easiest to find stuff on, and I’m forever finding that they do yet another thing... So once again thanks for the tip Rich!

I’ve got a couple of their plexis ready to pop into the latest three $100 specials that have arrived, but I’ll also order replacement inserts too, now I’ve seen what bleach will do to the stock one.

I’m stuck here in America, wearing the same watch every day, while 6 new reps are waiting for me back at home. Stupid holidays.



Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SCShrek
6 minutes ago, n0bby said:

Stupid holidays

:D LOL...it must suck...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NCRich

Really these are my favs, got one one today.

IMG-4583.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheGingerFerret
1 hour ago, NCRich said:

Really these are my favs, got one one today.

IMG-4583.jpg

Looking good! I hope mine turns out like that. Does the puffy lume cause any issues with the hands? There's still plenty of clearance for the minute and seconds hands?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SCShrek
50 minutes ago, TheFreckledTampon said:

Looking good! I hope mine turns out like that. Does the puffy lume cause any issues with the hands? There's still plenty of clearance for the minute and seconds hands?

I haven’t tried to lume a dial myself...Jesus, That would be awful, but I have read where others have take a bit of sanding paper to the lume because it was too puffy for the hands. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TheGingerFerret
11 minutes ago, SCShrek said:

I haven’t tried to lume a dial myself...Jesus, That would be awful, but I have read where others have take a bit of sanding paper to the lume because it was too puffy for the hands. 

That sounds like it would end up looking like total crap though!!?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SCShrek
10 minutes ago, TheFreckledTampon said:

That sounds like it would end up looking like total crap though!!?!

That's just what I ran across somewhere on RWI. If  I remember correctly, the post was too old for the pics to be present but yea, who wants bezelled lume markers?

I 'm sure the correct answer is to remove it and start over...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×