Joeboy

2836 Movement wobble!

Joeboy

Hi all,

I have just purchased an ARF DSSD with the above movement and it looks and works great. However when I pull the crown out to set the time there is some play in the movement and I can move it up and down slightly.

I’ve had the back off and it’s almost like the steel ring which the movement sits in is too big! That can’t be it though can it?

I can live with it but just wondered if anyone knows what could be going on?

Thanks in advance,

FudgyDocker

In my limited experience the movement ring holds against the dial & the case, rather than the actual  movement itself. I would try and tighten the screws on the movement ring and see if it helps. It might be that the dial screws aren't tight enough and the dial is moving on the movement, but that is less likely. 

Someone with a lot more experience may have greater insights. 

Joeboy

Thanks mate, the 2 screws I have found are already tight. I was hoping it was this as well but unless I have missed a screw they seem fine.

Also when the crown is pushed in its as solid as a rock, the slight issue is just when it’s out.....

FudgyDocker

Can you see inside what is moving, when you pull the crown out? Theoretically, if the movement is moving, then the dial should move as well if it's solid. If the dial doesn't move exactly as much, then the dial screws might not be tight enough. 

If that's the case, then I would remove the movement ring, screws etc, gently tip out the movement and dial onto a movement cushion, and check that the dial screws are tight. Be ultra-careful though, as if the dial screws are loose it may affect the hands etc, if the dial wants to part company with the movement, because it hasn't been tightened properly.

That's all I feel confident in telling you, as I've done it a couple of times before.

BadPickle

Best to post a pic, sounds to me like the factory has run out of movement tabs 

Joeboy
29 minutes ago, FudgyDocker said:

Can you see inside what is moving, when you pull the crown out? Theoretically, if the movement is moving, then the dial should move as well if it's solid. If the dial doesn't move exactly as much, then the dial screws might not be tight enough. 

If that's the case, then I would remove the movement ring, screws etc, gently tip out the movement and dial onto a movement cushion, and check that the dial screws are tight. Be ultra-careful though, as if the dial screws are loose it may affect the hands etc, if the dial wants to part company with the movement, because it hasn't been tightened properly.

That's all I feel confident in telling you, as I've done it a couple of times before.

Cheers for that I’ll post some pics as PB has suggested to see if it helps. 

Joeboy

Right, the first 3 are with the crown pushed in and show the 2 retaining screws which are tight. The last 2 are with the crown out and you can  just see the gap in the 1st where I have pulled the crown down slightly which is the wobble. You can move the crown slightly forward and back and the movement does shake.

D69355-DE-DB78-4663-A5-A9-D4-D2-EE513-CB
3-BE9-B9-F4-438-C-4723-8473-33-F2896-DFA
47-D92-CE4-6-EB1-4-B94-969-F-76759347821
76-EABF01-CC99-463-E-8508-3-F6592-C1-CBA
22-B0-FFB8-49-AD-4-FC9-9-FBA-0-D052784-B

FudgyDocker

Those movement tabs. Are they the right way round? Difficult to see in the photos. They are bent at the ends, and as far as I know the bend should be upwards (towards the back of the case), so that it pushes the movement and dial toward the crystal which makes the whole shebang rock solid, as you tighten the screws.

It looks as if there is a gap on the one near the crown and it's pointing downwards, at second glance.

Joeboy
1 minute ago, FudgyDocker said:

Those movement tabs. Are they the right way round? Difficult to see in the photos. They are bent at the ends, and as far as I know the bend should be upwards (towards the back of the case), so that it pushes the movement and dial toward the crystal which makes the whole shebang rock solid.

I see what you are saying. I can unscrew them to check and then it’s a simple fix by turning them round. Let’s give that a go and see what I find as it’s simple enough to do even if it’s not the answer. Cheers for that and I’ll let you know how I get on.

FudgyDocker
8 minutes ago, FudgyDocker said:

It looks as if there is a gap on the one near the crown and it's pointing downwards, at second glance.

Logixa

take out the movement holding tabs (or whatever they are called) and flip them upside down. Screw it back tight again. Those tabs are bent in a certain direction. Bend them a bit more or flip them upside down.

Oh I see @FudgyDocker is already saying it :rofl:

Joeboy

This place is ace @FudgyDocker I love you and want to have your babies, well maybe buy you pint sometime at least. Cheers all you have cheered up my day and my movement is now rock solid.

deju

Movement tabs on ARF are shite.... try the tabs round the other way of even used needle nose pliers to make the curve more pronounced! 

Joeboy
13 minutes ago, deju said:

Movement tabs on ARF are shite.... try the tabs round the other way of even used needle nose pliers to make the curve more pronounced! 

Good to know and all sorted now by simply turning them around, simple enough fix but without this place I’d have been fucked....

GenTLe

I see the movement is fixed to the holder, but the holder isn't fixed to the case. Check it is just the movement that moves or if it is both the movement AND the holder.

If the latter then probably it's one of those rings that are kept in place by the caseback and maybe the caseback wasn't tight enough or you need to put some tape on the holder to raise it a bit.

If it's only the movement that moves, try what @Logixa suggested

Joeboy
8 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

I see the movement is fixed to the holder, but the holder isn't fixed to the case. Check it is just the movement that moves or if it is both the movement AND the holder.

If the latter then probably it's one of those rings that are kept in place by the caseback and maybe the caseback wasn't tight enough or you need to put some tape on the holder to raise it a bit.

If it's only the movement that moves, try what @Logixa suggested

OK I see. The movement now appears to be rock solid after turning over the movement tabs. So despite being only fixed to the holder everything else is tight. 

I hope this thread helps others as much as it has me as these all seem pretty easy solutions to what at first appears to be a much bigger issue.