GulfGT40

What have I just done?

GulfGT40

I'm trying to school myself up on movements, just out of pure interest, but am still a bit overwhelmed by the different types. So bare with me, I've built a few automotive engines and  transmissions so I'm not a complete mechanical novice.

This movement was stopping within a minute or two of powering up, seemed to happen around the 15 second mark, don't know if that's relevant or not...

First port of call was to see if anything was loose, all tight except for this one pointed too by the screwdriver. Easily got 1/3 of a turn out of it until gently tight then backed it of by a hair.

Been wearing it all day with no issues.

So, what is it? How tight should it be?  Have I done the right thing?

Any help or advice appreciated, I have got motorvation  to learn. Thanks.

48556541671_0a437a2ba0_z.jpg

FudgyDocker

Is that a Gate watch? It looks as if it's the same movement that I'm having trouble with (quick set date at 2, by pen pusher?) . Mine randomly decides to run for a short while, stop at random, lose time at random etc etc. I tried the rotor thing, but it didn't make a lot of difference, unfortunately.

GulfGT40

Yeah its a gate 1499 style, quick set date. It ran for about 24 hours sitting in my watch box, only seems to do it on the wrist. When I popped the latch it'd start up again. So far so good but shits me not being able to trust it.

Foxindebox

You have done the right thing, don’t worry. That is the ratchet wheel you have tightened, if this is loose the mainspring barrel could let the power down (which is possibly what was happening).

Alternatively if a watch is stopping at the exact same point every time, it points to the hands fouling on something (each other or the crystal).

As for how tight, do not over tighten as you could shear the head off the screw. Just turn until it doesn’t turn any more and leave it there :)

FudgyDocker

Yeah, that annoys me with mine too. Mine's a 1359. Problem is, the quality of the watch itself is really good, so I may end up sending to Rolie to give it the once over, even though it's a Gate one. I've had 34 hours of PR on it, but it is entirely hit and miss, so I suspect that there's a dodgy component in there somewhere, or it is as dry as a nun's crutch.

I can't actually find out what movement it is. I have trawled through all of the ST series, but the nearest I can get is the ST2555, but the date is set via the crown on that movement, So I am at a bit of a loss on where to go.

GulfGT40

Cheers @Foxindebox the second hand was quite crooked, I could see daylight under it at 45 and nothing at 15 so I've pulled it out and given it a bit of a tweak, running much smoother now. That was a great help. Thanks.

Hey @FudgyDocker it's a nice watch for the money, my first white dial pam, feeling better about it now. Worst comes to worst, I've learned a little today which is invaluable to me. If it does turn out to be a dud it'll be the base for me to strip one down and learn some more...

Foxindebox

@GulfGT40        :thumbsup2:

black263
5 hours ago, GulfGT40 said:

Cheers @Foxindebox the second hand was quite crooked, I could see daylight under it at 45 and nothing at 15 so I've pulled it out and given it a bit of a tweak, running much smoother now. That was a great help. Thanks.

Hey @FudgyDocker it's a nice watch for the money, my first white dial pam, feeling better about it now. Worst comes to worst, I've learned a little today which is invaluable to me. If it does turn out to be a dud it'll be the base for me to strip one down and learn some more...

When you're trying to adjust the hands you need to be very gentle.  I find that anything over a 3lb club hammer is likely to cause even more problems.