pinkchelsea

Howdy from the SW of ‘Merica

pinkchelsea

This has been an insane rabbit hole I did not know existed. 

A couple months back back I was on holiday and had a Gen watch stolen.  Combination of being too comfortable  with an area, acting like a tourist and alcohol.  My fault 100%.  

Ive been spending time at a boutique considering replacing the piece when the sales person, a person I’ve known for a couple years said, you’ve had a bad go, I’m on break in a second let’s go get a coffee my treat.  

Long story short he said you should familiarize yourself with the Rep community and replace your piece that way.  7 days later, many hours spent on various forums and reddit and am blown away.  

Thanks for all the curated knowledge and nice to meet you!

GenTLe

A (presumably watch) boutique salesman told you to try reps? Wow, that's a friend!

If his manager knew probably he would have been fired :)

Remember, whatever you do with reps: take a week more to decide what you will go for, don't do impulse buy and always go for trusted dealers (those here or on the other rep forums), never from a random appealing site. 

NCRich

Welcome, do your research and you will be fine.  Then you can drink and lose it with fewer consequences.  :rofl:

Jimmyrich1

I like the cut of this salesman's jib! 

The_Proctometrist
2 hours ago, pinkchelsea said:

Ive been spending time at a boutique considering replacing the piece when the sales person, a person I’ve known for a couple years said, you’ve had a bad go, I’m on break in a second let’s go get a coffee my treat.  

Long story short he said you should familiarize yourself with the Rep community and replace your piece that way.  7 days later, many hours spent on various forums and reddit and am blown away.  

great sales person.  you will get all the info you need right here.  welcome!

pinkchelsea
5 hours ago, GenTLe said:

A (presumably watch) boutique salesman told you to try reps? Wow, that's a friend!

If his manager knew probably he would have been fired :)

Remember, whatever you do with reps: take a week more to decide what you will go for, don't do impulse buy and always go for trusted dealers (those here or on the other rep forums), never from a random appealing site. 

I’m sure.  

He made a compelling case, he said you’ve already spent X on X watch, no need to do it again.  You’ve had the experience, replace it with a Rep and majority of people won’t know the difference. 

He also said, why not buy Reps for all your Gens and travel without worry of being a dumb American.  Lol.

Thanks again, the hunt is on.

Edited by pinkchelsea

GingerApple

Pics!!!! We need pics!!!!! Of the sadly long lost Gen.

What's the first plan, a straight replacement?

Jimmyrich1
14 hours ago, pinkchelsea said:

He also said, why not buy Reps for all your Gens and travel without worry

I think this is very sound advice as well! I really like this sales person, sounds like he/she has a few reps themselves

SCShrek

You should get toasted first and then buy your reps and see what you get. Could get interesting. I know enough around here have. :D

In all seriousness, my first luxury rep, which I still have, started me down this path because I just couldnt pour all the cash it would take to get all the watches I wanted in gens. You will learn that some reps are almost as good as the gens and then you will have your list of gens that can only be gotten as gen to make you happy. So save up for more gens but feed your addiction, yes, its an addiction, with reps...

Happy hunting. What geb did you lose BTW? 

pinkchelsea
16 hours ago, SCShrek said:

You should get toasted first and then buy your reps and see what you get. Could get interesting. I know enough around here have. :D

In all seriousness, my first luxury rep, which I still have, started me down this path because I just couldnt pour all the cash it would take to get all the watches I wanted in gens. You will learn that some reps are almost as good as the gens and then you will have your list of gens that can only be gotten as gen to make you happy. So save up for more gens but feed your addiction, yes, its an addiction, with reps...

Happy hunting. What geb did you lose BTW? 

GMT Master.  

I bought it for a song in 2010 used and it was my go to daily beater.  Took it everywhere.  Got drunk in a pub I’d been to 30 times and we started showing off watches and taking them off and exchanging and 30 minutes later I had lost it and didn’t think much of it and kept drinking.  An hour later, maybe four,  I had a moment of panic but it was too late. 

Tough lessen but my fault.  I could’ve given it away or lost it in some stupid game of chance.