Del

USD/GBP Exchange Rate Kills US Purchase

Del

I was in the US for a holiday earlier this month and considered buying a watch. This new Longines Hydroconquest with ceramic bezel and rubber strap with deployant caught my eye so I enquired about a discount. The shop offered me a reasonable discount (of around 15% iirc) but when I checked the USD/GBP exhange rate (the spot rate on XE.com, not the tourist rate) I discovered that it would be marginally cheaper to buy the same watch at full price in the UK.  Wtf! :facepalm: 

Needless to say, I didn't buy it...

Nice watch though! :lol: 

2-074-04-0015_1.jpg

NCRich

This is one of those situations where it is all about perspective..............

964boy

Wip, nice watch mate

Just have to pop down your local mall :happy:

simey83

Love the watch. Had the black version "in my cart" on a few occasions. Huge fan of Longines, but my next watch from them will be the BigEye!! 

Cheers

semperfi55

I love how I have to time my purchases just before/after some parliament vote/leadership statement because of how the pound responds. Never cared about currency exchange until I got interested in reps, then Brexit happens :lol: Now I follow the GBP, USD, EUR and CNY like some  crazed currency trader

deju

Swings and roundabouts, your gens have a wider market of buyers and prices are up :)

Also while it's down we are getting a good influx of tourism.

GingerApple
23 minutes ago, deju said:

Swings and roundabouts, your gens have a wider market of buyers and prices are up :)

Also while it's down we are getting a good influx of tourism.

I thought the whole point of Brexit was to keep out Johnny Foreigner? :ohwell:

Del
2 hours ago, 964boy said:

Wip, nice watch mate

Just have to pop down your local mall :happy:

Already have mate! :rofl: Tried on the chrono 43mm bracelet version in Chisholm Hunter at Silverburn - it’s a superb watch and quite reasonably priced at £1770 (before discount) but I wasn’t blown away tbh.

Something else on my radar now though... :picard: :lol:

Del
55 minutes ago, TheFreckledTampon said:

Keep your Brexit chat for the dedicated thread - this thread is about something far more important - I can’t buy watches on holiday now! :frusty:

;) 

GingerApple
7 minutes ago, Del said:

This thread is about something far more important - I can’t buy watches on holiday now!

Forgive me if I don't panic at the news, as I suspect you'll manufacture a work around. :thumbsup:

Del
Just now, TheFreckledTampon said:

Forgive me if I don't panic at the news, as I suspect you'll manufacture a work around. :thumbsup:

I already have - I came home! :D 

Theviking

Its a bloody pain. I've noticed a few cheeky M2M sellers in the EU putting their price in $$$.

splke

I always looked forward to your holidays gens del bloody politicians 

GenTLe

Oh well, this is one of those watches that are NWBG, at most you can have a TD to send it to your Hotel if it has to be purchased during vacation :D

Then you can get rubber strap for it gen (or maybe rep if it exists)

deju
4 hours ago, TheFreckledTampon said:

Are we building a wall? :lol:

964boy
3 hours ago, Del said:

Already have mate! :rofl: Tried on the chrono 43mm bracelet version in Chisholm Hunter at Silverburn - it’s a superb watch and quite reasonably priced at £1770 (before discount) but I wasn’t blown away tbh.

Something else on my radar now though... :picard: :lol:

:daffy:

MAJ75
6 hours ago, simey83 said:

Love the watch. Had the black version "in my cart" on a few occasions. Huge fan of Longines, but my next watch from them will be the BigEye!! 

Cheers

Great shout on the “Big Eye” that is without doubt the star of the current line-up.....

tabuktime
2 hours ago, GenTLe said:

Oh well, this is one of those watches that are NWBG, at most you can have a TD to send it to your Hotel if it has to be purchased during vacation :D

Then you can get rubber strap for it gen (or maybe rep if it exists)

Has that list been updated recently?

Dendo

Its the GBP to EURO rate that's killing me!

Del
5 hours ago, splke said:

I always looked forward to your holidays gens del bloody politicians 

:rofl: 

tonyh7

I was considering a Seiko from Creation Watches, but what with the exchange rate and the possibility of a clobbering on duty, not much advantage over high street jewellers. The worst of it though is the cost of travelling - euro more or less parity. 

GenTLe
4 hours ago, tabuktime said:

No idea, but let's be serious: this is a great rep:  https://www.intime05.co/longines/6027-conquest-l38404566-real-ceramic-bezel-ss-zf-1-1-best-edition-blue-dial-on-ss-bracelet-a2824.html

Glaude
7 hours ago, tabuktime said:

It's updated regularly, but the criteria to be admitted on that list and it's various "levels" are quite obscure

BenjaminButton

Caramba someone’s on a spending spree and flashing their cash. Great fun and always a nice problem to have so much disposable for this hobby. High class problems wrapped up in something definitely more serious for many as the pounds demand is at it lowest for some time. Tourism, although important for many people, is such a relatively small part of the UK economy that it’s never going to make the difference. I do like the Hydroquest. And quite like the Conquests too but finding their pricing creeping up a bit too much for my taste. Plus every time I go to try on a ‘modest’ plus 500 squid watch I just look over at the genuine versions of my replicas and end up thinking what is the point of spending it when I have all the aesthetic pleasure for under £200 without any of the damage to my bank balance. For me it just reinforces the smoke and mirrors of most brands. Horses for courses.

alan d

my only input being that im seeing far more trade from the US on my ebay store, than I ever have.  Which in turn funds my habit here. Win Win!