Nikosaldente

Frozen Subdial @6 Mod on ST19 Hand Wound Movement

Nikosaldente

Hey guys,

A while ago, I got a nice Rep Omega Speedmaster Professional Moonwatch with the Clear Caseback and Plexi, powered by the Hand Wound ST19 / Lemania Movement :D

I was looking for one for quite some time and when the opportunity came next door, I grabbed myself a deal!

The watch, as all of the Reps of this specific model had the Subdial at "6" working as an Hour indicator,  following the Big Hour Hand during the day.

On the Gen, this Subdial counts hours when the Chronograph is engaged. So, the whole time it should be pointing at "12" like the Subdial at "3" and like the Big Seconds Hand. 

A few days ago, I was able to get some spare time to perform the "Frozen Subdial at 6 Mod", which is going to  be presented with photos on this thread! I used the steps of a nice tutorial that I found,  link is here:

https://rwg.cc/topic/107483-toads-guide-sea-gull-st19-keyless-works-and-freezing-6-o-clock-subdial/

Here's my attempt:

Caseback off:

20190815-115624.jpg

Crown/Stem off... Be careful to press gently the Stem Release Button so you won't screw up the Keyless Works and most important; Do it with the Crown in Winding Position and not in Time Setting position.  So it's best to let the watch "drain" from power before working on it.
20190815-115855.jpg

Remove Movement Holder Screws/Tabs/Ring/Hands and Dial.

To remove the Dial there are 2 Screws on the side of the movement (one at 7 and one at 1 positions) forgot to take those photos.... Probably because I managed to brake off the stem of the subdial at 3 and as a result stayed on the pinion:picard2:

Underneath you'll find a Dial Plate that stays in Place with 3 Screws
20190815-124644.jpg

Remove the Screws(Don't lose them) and Dial Plate 

Among others, there are 2 Brass Gears; One larger and one smaller. 
20190815-125038.jpg

Remove Both, discard the larger one and keep the smaller one.

Place 2 Dial Strips or Dots (it's like double sided tape) where the pinion of the smaller gear is.
20190815-125310.jpg

Reposition the smaller brass gear on its pinion and the Dial strips.
20190815-125414.jpg

Do all the steps Backwards.  

For the Subdial at 3 I used a tiny drop of cyanoacrylate glue and placed the hand on its stem....No one would know! It works and resets perfectly :thumbsup:

No need to be extra anal with the minute/hour hands since there's no date complication.

The Big Seconds Hand gave me a bit of a hard time....

Here I check the Chronograph:
20190815-165343.jpg

Recased:
20190815-172735.jpg

Complimentary Wrist Shot:
20190816-100858.jpg

Thanks for watching!

Cheers!

Glaude

Very nice and clean tutorial ! Thanks for taking the time man ! :thumbsup:

Mr_B

Excellent work mate

Nikosaldente
5 hours ago, Glaude said:

Very nice and clean tutorial ! Thanks for taking the time man ! :thumbsup:

Merci mon ami!

13 minutes ago, Mr_B said:

Excellent work mate

Thanks mate!

Foxindebox

Nick one Nik, looks great :thumbsup2:

semperfi55

Well that’s a clear guide that even I could follow! Thanks!

Nikosaldente
12 hours ago, Foxindebox said:

Nick one Nik, looks great :thumbsup2:

Cheers mate :D

10 hours ago, semperfi55 said:

Well that’s a clear guide that even I could follow! Thanks!

Thanks pal! :)

I hope I was clear enough.... It could have been more explanatory though :ohwell:

NCRich

That was excellent.  Thanks!

semperfi55
21 hours ago, Nikosaldente said:

For the Subdial at 3 I used a tiny drop of cyanoacrylate glue and placed the hand on its stem....No one would know! It works and resets perfectly :thumbsup:

To clarify, you did this step only because you accidentally broke the stem earlier on when removing the dial?

BM284

Great tutorial Nick - one that is follow if I had a speeaster that I wanted to mod - tip of the hat to you sir :) 

Nikosaldente
1 hour ago, NCRich said:

That was excellent.  Thanks!

Coming from you, it means a lot!

You're welcome Boss:)

Nikosaldente
1 hour ago, semperfi55 said:

To clarify, you did this step only because you accidentally broke the stem earlier on when removing the dial?

Exactly,  the stem broke off from Underneath the Hand when I  was trying to remove it, so I can then remove the Dial. 

The damn bastard was too tight..... This has happened to me once more on a Spitfire Doppel Chronograph IWC but fixed it with the same method. 

It broke off the hand and stayed on the pinion. I put the glue so stem and hand can be one again!

If it hadn't been broken, there wouldn't be any reason to use the glue ;)

Nikosaldente
1 hour ago, BM284 said:

Great tutorial Nick - one that is follow if I had a speeaster that I wanted to mod - tip of the hat to you sir :) 

Thanks Dan:D

I was under the impression that you had a Speedy!

semperfi55
1 hour ago, Nikosaldente said:

It broke off the hand and stayed on the pinion. I put the glue so stem and hand can be one again!

Lucky you. I've broken many a subdial stem and only find out until it is too late...

BC1221

On Chronos, make sure you don’t accidentally or intentionally pull the pusher off. There’s a TINY little clip holding them in. If they pop off, you will never see them again. It took me months to source those and now I have a bag full of them. Lol.

Good tutorial.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nikosaldente
20 hours ago, BC1221 said:

On Chronos, make sure you don’t accidentally or intentionally pull the pusher off. There’s a TINY little clip holding them in. If they pop off, you will never see them again. It took me months to source those and now I have a bag full of them. Lol.

Good tutorial.

Cheers mate!

I guess I know now who to send a PM in case I lose one:giggle:

BC1221
Cheers mate!
I guess I know now who to send a PM in case I lose one:giggle:

Hahaha I have about 10 sets of them. I don’t even remember how I found them but it took many orders of the wrong sizes to finally get the correct ones and then I sold the watch. Lol.

Let me know if you need any.

The_Proctometrist

I have the same watch. I'm going to give this a shot.  Thanks for your very clear and concise guide.  Cheers, mate. 

Nikosaldente
On 10/11/2019 at 00:18, BC1221 said:

Hahaha I have about 10 sets of them. I don’t even remember how I found them but it took many orders of the wrong sizes to finally get the correct ones and then I sold the watch. Lol.

Let me know if you need any.

Will do, thanks for your offer! Let's hope I won't lose any:thumbsup:

On 10/11/2019 at 02:07, ballandbiscuit said:

I have the same watch. I'm going to give this a shot.  Thanks for your very clear and concise guide.  Cheers, mate. 

You're welcome buddy! Don't forget to post photos of the result!

Good luck:D