vinnychase1

Looking to buy a Rolex GMT what's the opinion on these 2

vinnychase1

I tried going for a  vintage GMT I  model. However,  I couldn't locate much using the search function. I remember seeing a side by side comparison of the Gen and Replica model and was impressed. Whats the opinion on these two. One is a DJF a3186 and the other is the GMF with  A2836 movement. I know they both say best edition and both have the 904l bracelet. I'm I really  just looking at movement differences here? 

https://kuvarsit04.com/gmt-master-ii-126710-blro-904l-gmf-best-edition-black-dial-blro-real-ceramic-bezel-on-904l-jubilee-bracelet-a2836/

https://kuvarsit04.com/gmt-master-ii-126710-blro-904l-djf-1-1-best-edition-black-dial-blnr-real-ceramic-bezel-on-904l-jubilee-bracelet-a3186/

BadApple

Stick to the 2836 version - proven, tested and won't let you down.

ShovelnTC

Yes the 2836 would be my choice but keep in mind that that GMT function is not native to a 2836 so it has been modified to suit, so reliability won't be as good as a standard 2836 but likely still better than the rolex clone movement.

Someone else with more knowledge will likely correct me if I'm wrong.

Whooops forget what I just said as I just looked and saw that they are both 2836 clones but one has a bunch of extra decoration so movements will likely be the same as far as reliability!

vinnychase1

The 2836 movement is $598.00. The other movement 488.00

I'll stick with the 2836 movement but are these 2 watches the same in appearance. I can't tell from the photos.

FudgyDocker
1 hour ago, vinnychase1 said:

The 2836 movement is $598.00. The other movement 488.00

Wrong. It automatically selects Swiss ETA2824 movement when you click on the first link. If you take it off, it is  $448

Joeboy

I couldn’t live with the incorrect hand stack on the first one regardless of whether the movement is more reliable.....

NCRich
16 minutes ago, Joeboy said:

I couldn’t live with the incorrect hand stack on the first one regardless of whether the movement is more reliable.....

LOL.  If you sit analyzing your watch with a loupe then you should be buying gens.  Door stops bother me, something I can't even see on my wrist, nah.

GingerApple
10 minutes ago, NCRich said:

LOL.  If you sit analyzing your watch with a loupe then you should be buying gens.  Door stops bother me, something I can't even see on my wrist, nah.

+1. I'm a person who very much likes watches and yet if someone put a gun to my head and asked me what the correct hand stack is, I'm not convinced I'd get the order right. Such an irrelevance imo!

ShovelnTC
42 minutes ago, TheFreckledTampon said:

+1. I'm a person who very much likes watches and yet if someone put a gun to my head and asked me what the correct hand stack is, I'm not convinced I'd get the order right. Such an irrelevance imo!

Shit I've been a member of most of the Rep forums for years and have owned a swag of of Rollies including a couple of BK's and a couple of TC's and have read all of the many posts pointing out the "Faults" and "tells" of them all but still can't tell the difference of most of them without someone pointing them out so really can't see why so many guys "can't live" with this or that or state that it's a "deal breaker".

Some folks just look for shit to stress about.

Joeboy
1 hour ago, ShovelnTC said:

Shit I've been a member of most of the Rep forums for years and have owned a swag of of Rollies including a couple of BK's and a couple of TC's and have read all of the many posts pointing out the "Faults" and "tells" of them all but still can't tell the difference of most of them without someone pointing them out so really can't see why so many guys "can't live" with this or that or state that it's a "deal breaker".

Some folks just look for shit to stress about.

I’m not stressed about it mate, far from it. The OP asked for an opinion and I gave one.

If you take the “can’t live” comment literally then it’s clearly OTT, could I change it to “I would prefer”.

I don’t look at reps through a loupe either, I just like to get the best I can, neither do I look for perfection in reps.

So out of the 2, I would still go for the one with the correct hand stack....

vinnychase1

So, I just read on another post that the DJG and GMF were horrible versions of this GMT Rolex. The problem for me is that I don't think I've ever seen a Pepsi 1675 up close. Was there a side to side comparison to the gen for this watch?  

As far as the GMT I edition, it appears that's whats closer to Gen with some mods. 

Edited by vinnychase1

BadApple

At present you may ought to see what some of the other TD's can do for you......