NCRich

Rolex 5513 PCG

NCRich

This is probably my favorite of the vintage subs.  Just so simple and clean.  It ran from 1962 to 89.  The PCG is a 1963 model, and it came originally with a gilt dial.  Matte dials came later.  You will hear a lot of people prattle on about what ought to be on one of these subs, but the fact is they were not expensive watches, Rolex outsourced many of the components so they vary from year to year, and when they were sent in for service they tossed away the gilt dials for service ones.  Same for any other part that looked worn out.  So if you look at picture they are all over the place.  Crown of different sizes, plexis of different dimensions, etc.  So you may as well do what you like as there is no "right."  Even gen parts are most likely not correct for your model.  Some gens:

5513-2.jpg

5513-3.jpg

rolex-5513-pcg-2line-silver-gilt-vintage

I particularly like that last one.

So I've built several of these.  They started life as the base JK factory model from Marvellous Replica.  The problem you face is the CGs are too short and wide, and the crown is way, way too tall.  People tell you an Athaya is GREAT but I'm not a fan.  They don't look right (well they probably are gen spec for some Rolex) but in combo with what I have to work with the overall look is wrong.  Here are two I have finished up that I think make some decent compromises.  I have reshaped the cases with pointy crown guards.  The jubilee one has an Athaya crown (its a bit tall for this case) and the oyster one has a crown I found on Aliexpress.  I think it makes for a better look.  Everything has been aged and relumed, cases drilled (yada yada).  I have not modified the juby bracelet to fit 2mm spring bars, so the lug holes look a bit empty.  But I love the watch on juby.  So some pics of the very understated sub.

IMG-4290.jpg

IMG-4287.jpg

IMG-4284.jpg

IMG-4281.jpg

IMG-4278.jpg

IMG-4274.jpg

IMG-4270.jpg

IMG-4267.jpg

IMG-4265.jpg

IMG-4261.jpg

IMG-4259.jpg

semperfi55
38 minutes ago, NCRich said:

So you may as well do what you like as there is no "right."

After scrutinising the models featured on Hodinkee Reference Points and elsewhere, couldn't agree more!

Another great showcase!

Where did you source the Jubilee bracelet? Is there anywhere that does it cheap but reasonably ok? I have Rafflesdial and Aliexpress in mind

FudgyDocker

Very nice, Rich. Still not feeling the vintage vibe, so I definitely don't appreciate these watches as much as I really should. You've obviously put in a lot of effort into them!

NCRich
10 minutes ago, semperfi55 said:

After scrutinising the models featured on Hodinkee Reference Points and elsewhere, couldn't agree more!

Another great showcase!

Where did you source the Jubilee bracelet? Is there anywhere that does it cheap but reasonably ok? I have Rafflesdial and Aliexpress in mind

Rafflesdials

Mrluwin

Great work again mate, nice simple good looking watches 

hanski

Nice work! 

I totally agree with you, a Jubilee on sub is a great combination. 

SilverBack

Love this on the Jubilee too!

rm65453

I must buy a watch from your @NCrich

Planning to sell any in the near future?

tribefan

Man these are sweet watches. About the only thing better would be to convert one of them to a 7928.

NCRich
4 minutes ago, tribefan said:

Man these are sweet watches. About the only thing better would be to convert one of them to a 7928.

Uhm, like this?

7.jpg

4.jpg

tribefan
2 minutes ago, NCRich said:

Uhm, like this?

7.jpg

Almost exactly like that, but with that spectacularly done faded bezel.