chr0nos

Recommend a rep model that is extremely minimalist and versatile?

chr0nos

Looking for a rep watch that is minimalist in design (something like Linjer), versatile (can be worn as smart casual or for formal dinners), and made with high quality + durable components/movement (min 5 years).

Budget <$500. Open to all brands/models. Will be great if you could also share which dealer you'd recommend. 

Thanks!

linjer-classic-watch-38-gunmetal-tan-1-f[/img]

Jasonbaylee

This budget allows u to consider many Gen pieces.
Eg Skagen or Bering

8e7b50df67479426f547ea5542fea08c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jasonbaylee

c90b92fdcd47c2087e14fa250c21c90e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mankw

Try “movement watches” (mvmt) not rep but not that expensive neither!

komono is another brand in line of what you are looking for

Edited by Mankw
Add text

chr0nos

I do have a MVMT watch (casual, gold color, metal), though I always thought they are a fashion brand and not that serious on durability. 

Would prefer recommendations for Rep with high quality internals that last a long time though. of course, if usd200 can get me a decent rep, I'll do that too. :) 

Mankw

Then you should try “nomos” as the brand. 

fatarms

Nomos reps possibly?

Mankw
Just now, fatarms said:

Nomos reps possibly?

You were seconds before me with your post :Waiting:

fatarms
4 minutes ago, Mankw said:

You were seconds before me with your post :Waiting:

Ha, your post shows before mine on my screen.  I thought I was the one who was seconds late :lol:

The_Proctometrist

OYSTER PERPETUAL!!!

20190828-175247.jpg

chr0nos
26 minutes ago, fatarms said:

Nomos reps possibly?

Just had a look at the website - looks great! Thing is, are there even Nomos reps? what kind of movements do the reps use and are they durable enough (>5 years)? 

Mankw

There are nomos rep, look at the TD section here on rwg but what you are asking about the movement is kind a tricky! Who nows how long it will last? I think nobody can tell you for sure it will last for days, years,... ages? For example I have a very cheap (+-€150) panerai watch bought 9 years ago and it’s still working! But that’s not a certainty it will be for all the watches.

its a lottery for all of us! 

Mankw
19 minutes ago, chr0nos said:

Just had a look at the website - looks great! Thing is, are there even Nomos reps? what kind of movements do the reps use and are they durable enough (>5 years)? 

Trusty time has nomos on his website! Be sure you go to the website with the link here in the td section cause there are a lot of fake sites on the web of trustytime.

chr0nos
11 hours ago, Mankw said:

There are nomos rep, look at the TD section here on rwg but what you are asking about the movement is kind a tricky! Who nows how long it will last? I think nobody can tell you for sure it will last for days, years,... ages? For example I have a very cheap (+-€150) panerai watch bought 9 years ago and it’s still working! But that’s not a certainty it will be for all the watches.

its a lottery for all of us! 

thanks! does the comment above apply for all reps too? My Fossil on a miyota movement has lasted me 6 years so far. Just wondering how much less (or more) durable are reps in the same price (say 200usd).

KarmaToBurn

We're talking about reps here so there are no guarantees that anything will last 5 years. If you like the Nomos watches, the TD MaryWatch has some of the 35 mm models on sale for about $150. Check out their section on the forum if you're interested.

Xpletiv

They make mvmt homages, too.

Cheapies.

RussP

Calatrava.

Rep of course.

9097843102_95d04ac626_b.jpg

38636876692_a5c2251692_b.jpg

umaso

I had a Nomos rep, but was basically a re-dialed Rodina (had Rodina caseback and crown).  Went out on me.  So not sure I can recommend it, but I think it's the right look for smart casual.  Cheaper watches (including all reps) you always risk getting a bad apple.  Of watches that have broken on me, maybe 2 have been reps of various quality (this Nomos, and an AP Diver), and 2 have been gen (a heralded SKX007, and an  ST-19 Alpha).

41966810475_5f20a65f28_z.jpg

GenTLe

Minimalistic means Bauhaus (Nomos are part of these trend).

I'd personally go, with your budget, for a gen Max Bill Junghans .

Quarzes like these below goes for less than 400$ (check here: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1311.R4.TR12.TRC2.A0.H1.Xjungha.TRS0&_nkw=junghans+max+bill&_sacat=0):

Risultati immagini per junghans max bill quartz whiteImmagine correlata18780037_1_640.jpgRisultati immagini per junghans max bill quartz black

Automatic are a bit more expensive and there is also a beautiful chronograph (out of your budget) that looks wonderful:

junghans-max-bill-27450101-multiple-1.jp

And, on a budget option, there are the Junkers, which are homages of these watches, made in Germany but with Miyota movement: https://shop.junkers.de/en/bauhaus/

I have this one (and, if you are interested, I'm thinking to sell it):

junkers-6060-5-junkers-bauhaus-series-wa

Theviking

Many beautiful suggestions here

chr0nos

wow! Thanks for the recommendations guys! I particularly like the "overflowing" design of the Junghans (like a Samsung phone with slightly curved bezels). Is there any luxury brand (e.g. Patek/IWC/VC or others) that also has a similar face, but with simpler/lesser inscriptions on it?

Separately, I checked out the Calatrava on TrustyTime. The rep strap looks cheap for a 450usd watch though. Is this expected and do yall simply replace it with a higher quality version? 

Risultati immagini per junghans max bill quartz black

V101

The Glashütte senator sixties is both simple and versatile (in my opinion).

Here is mine. Manufactured by YLF and sourced from Mary (although any TD here could probably get it for you).

58706d8db6375f53a6a4f3e84961bd2b.jpg

The supplied strap felt cheap so I switched it with a gen brown alligator. I couldn’t be happier with the result.

porschespeedster

^ this is how to do it!

Lots of classic/restrained reps tbh, you just gotta look around. BP 100 hours, Senator Sixties, most all the JLCs/VCs etc

And yes...rep straps suck. Just swap em out for something good...

Oris

I'd have to go for a BP rep Rolex Explorer 1 (214270 2016 Baselworld) 

It's versatile, minimalist and can be worn in almost any context. It also houses and ETA clone movement. Asian ETA clones are generally very good, but being ETA based, if anything went wrong, you'd just replace the movement with a genuine ETA.

Rolex-Explorer-2016-214270-1.jpg

Rocketmanoptions

I want to second a Rolex explorer 1 rep. Perfect size and very minimalist