Steve36

What to buy with £1000???

Abe Fromen

Funny I had a similar dilemma about four years ago. I went with a gen mircro brand watch and got it numbered with my age that year (number 50 out of 500). I kept it for two years and then sold it to get a couple of reps. LMAO

Because we all seem to like to flip our watches, i'd say get a few super reps and enjoy the rotation. 

deju
1 hour ago, Piccolo said:

I had a 203 B&R by Sinn - number 199 of 300. Offered it to Travis Pastrana via Instagram :D

great watches

Didn’t you sell it for under £1000?! I’m pretty sure it was yours I wanted haha. Along with the rest of your collection :boxedin:

hasel5

A Ginualt maybe and as seiko ?

Mankw

Maybe you can buy the  gen hands of the Daytona? Just giving an idea what you can get for that price. 

Chavezzito

Oris, Tag Heuer Aquaracer

RussP
6 hours ago, TheFreckledTampon said:

Ooooh! A Tripdog vintage Rolex. Doesn't get much better!!!!

+1.

Or a BabaNJ datejust.

RussP

I just realised.

I like your wife.

Does she have a sister who might be interested in moving to Australia?

:thumbsup2:

Steve36

Wow! I didn’t realise I would have so much choice other than the big brands at higher prices etc.... 

looking into the Sinn brand and best models for the price. 

Also checked out Squale 2002 which is a very nice watch

thank you very much for the offer of the discount code Del, much appreciated. 

Also checking out the oris for my price range

awesome ideas chaps, thanks to all for the help. 

47 minutes ago, RussP said:

I just realised.

I like your wife.

Does she have a sister who might be interested in moving to Australia?

:thumbsup2:

Sadly no sister, but I’ll give you a grand to move to Oz to get out the way of her ;)

RussP
6 minutes ago, Steve36 said:

Wow! I didn’t realise I would have so much choice other than the big brands at higher prices etc.... 

looking into the Sinn brand and best models for the price. 

Also checked out Squale 2002 which is a very nice watch

thank you very much for the offer of the discount code Del, much appreciated. 

Also checking out the oris for my price range

awesome ideas chaps, thanks to all for the help. 

Sadly no sister, but I’ll give you a grand to move to Oz to get out the way of her ;)

No payment required.

I'm already Down Under.

cvp3

No 1 watch could solve my $1,200 USD (conversion) itch. All gen's, all with a little history. Before you plop $1,000+ on a CW, please look at Glycine, Certina or Alpina. Great watches for 1/2 the money and extremely excellent build quality. You could easily get 2 for $1,000 USD. Here would be my $1,200 shopping spree.

1) Timex vintage $100 includes custom strap

image.jpg

2) Russian  Boctok 24hr watch. Everyone should own a Russian watch just because, same for 24hr watch. $100

image.jpg

3) HMT 17 Jewel handwinder redials. Hilariously good fun and under $35 even with a handsome custom strap.

IMG-7411.jpg

4) Glycine Airman GMT automatic. Any color way really, but I fell in love with this one. $500

image.jpg

5) Bulova Super Seville day/date the closest I will ever come to owning a gen' Rolex. Please excuse my poor quartz imposter below from my collection. Not even close to what a true gem these are. Expect to pay $500 for a nicely restored version versus my $60 beater.

image.jpg

Jimmyrich1
4 hours ago, RussP said:

Or a BabaNJ datejust.

Yess!! :bananarider: 

The_Proctometrist
18 hours ago, Steve36 said:

My wife just told me to pick a new watch for my upcoming birthday, value around a grand. 

if you like vintage gen stuff and who doesn't this is what a grand will get you in the vintage gen watch market in vancouver canada.  i bought a 2 line no date submariner from these people.  they are a highly  reputable dealer and appraiser of coins and watches. as appraisers they also provide an appraisal certificate upon purchase which indicates the replacement value (not purchase price) of the item that can be used to insure the watch back home in the uk.  this came in very handy when i lost my beloved 2 line no date submariner six months after i purchased that beauty.  these prices are in canadian dollars which is great for you because it's shit these days. my choices are:

Screen-Shot-2019-08-29-at-7-09-09-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-08-29-at-7-10-25-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-08-29-at-7-11-16-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-08-29-at-7-12-01-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-08-29-at-7-12-56-PM.png

Screen-Shot-2019-08-29-at-7-44-58-PM.png

BenjaminButton

Oris is another thought. Some excellent looking watches and some of their range is sub 1k... or for a few hundred extra there is the diver sixty five.

14d50cc565188fc1b1591ec1ea6c40a5.jpg

Piccolo
13 hours ago, deju said:

Didn’t you sell it for under £1000?! I’m pretty sure it was yours I wanted haha. Along with the rest of your collection :boxedin:

Went for a bit more in the end I think.  There’s a German seller who’s had one for ages at £1800

deju
12 minutes ago, Piccolo said:

Went for a bit more in the end I think.  There’s a German seller who’s had one for ages at £1800

They will creep up to the 2k mark I think, one of those ones no one wanted at the time got rare then sought after. 

Great looking watch too 

CurioLeo

Present from your wife - get a gen with some meaning to you, not just another watch and definitely not any old rep. You don't want to have a conversation with her about how the watch just stopped in 3 years and isn't worth repairing. Unless you go for a bomb proof movement like a 6497 and get a Pam modded by Marlin which will end up costing you most of your budget but it will be 99% gen and you can wear it for decades to come.

zulu44gmt

I haven't seen the blue in person--yet. But the visodate should be on the short list for memories and keepers6343f82fcc4c7354b10a4e7547eed40d.jpg3b18987f740fade136f2b865fca8f866.jpg9c32ff1520db26b82c400274d8bd4e4a.jpg

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

NFleischer

This Maurice LaCroix Pontos Diver is a great watch IMO. It's on sale now at (Mass)Drop.com for$880,on SS bracelet. List at least $3000 USD. If you were able to get one at $1300 it would be a good deal!

Swiss Automatic (SW?), 600M WR,  moveable inner bezel. They have several others on sale including the Masterpiece which is very cool too.

https://drop.com/buy/maurice-lacroix-masterpiece-mechanical-watch

VMSG

Glycine is a great brand, I would consider them.
Anyone know any classic (breguet style) brand in this price range?

NFleischer

Yes, Glycine is steeply discounted now that they're owned by Invicta.  Many nice watches in $300-500 range.

I got this for about $280,  Swiss ETA 2824, hard to beat . Ashford.com and Drop.com have a nice selection usually.

F074E1CC-937D-4BF1-98C9-76D93827AAC2_zps

Here's another Combat on rubber strap under $400

https://www.ashford.com/us/watches/glycine/combat/GL0089.pid?nid=cpg_cat2951180&so=28

Edited by NFleischer

cvp3

Glycines.........I got a few.

image.jpg

IMG-9273.jpg

image.jpg

GingerApple

There's a Glycene Airman for $385 in the Ashford specials pages - I'm not sure if that's good or not.

cvp3
3 hours ago, TheFreckledTampon said:

There's a Glycene Airman for $385 in the Ashford specials pages - I'm not sure if that's good or not.

Decent. I've seen them on eBay for $299.

Steve36

Well, after much deliberation I’ve decided upon the Oris Aquis Hulk, green sunburst dial and ceramic bezel. 

May never get my hands on a gen Rolex sub hulk, but for £1500 I’ve got my own version in the Aquis Hulk. 

Very nice watch and my mrs picks it up from Goldsmiths next week. 

Thanks for all the ideas fellas really appreciate the input. 

Edited by Steve36