MRR

Should I buy a rep?

MRR

I know; it's like walking into a bar and asking if I should order a drink.

Background; My Seiko 5 broke and I need a new watch.  I cannot find a Seiko 5 that I love, but I did find a $50k watch I like a lot.  Problem is, I'd rather have a no-name brand in a style I like with a great movement than a perfect reproduction.  But, I haven't' found anything I like that is remotely similar to a particular 40mm ice blue diagonal dial with day, date, and luminous sticks.

EDIT for clarity (thanks, @TheFreckledTampon)

fc143cec1bd7b3b71edffc0c5dff80e8.jpg

Questions;

Is the movement Noob uses (or another maker, if you suggest one) better than a 7S26 movement?

Can Noob or anyone else supply a watch with a face that is lacking the Rollo word and the symbol above it?  

I'm not looking for the closest reproduction, so Noob's wide sticks, etc don't bother me.  I just want the best movement in a style I like.

Thanks for any insight.

MRR

Edited by MRR
Show specific watch

BadApple

Have a browse through the New Members section as there is a plethora of information and answers to any questions you may have. 

Noob isn't the panacea of watches - if you want a sterile watch Rolex or otherwise buy a sterile or even a Homage: 

http://www.militarytimewatch.com/new/product-page.php?product_id=470

MRR

I appreciate the quick responses.

I'll keep looking, but so far I have not found an homage to the one specific watch I want; DD-40 platinum, ice blue weave(?) face with luminescent sticks.

I also question the movement quality of something from eBay as opposed to something from noob that has been vetted by enthusiasts like all of you over the years.

I'll read through the forums to see about my movement question, but I've noticed only "rep-a vs rep-b" as opposed to  "rep vs. cheapish gen".

Thanks again.

mr.tourette
8 minutes ago, MRR said:

I appreciate the quick responses.

I'll keep looking, but so far I have not found an homage to the one specific watch I want; DD-40 platinum, ice blue weave(?) face with luminescent sticks.

I also question the movement quality of something from eBay as opposed to something from noob that has been vetted by enthusiasts like all of you over the years.

I'll read through the forums to see about my movement question, but I've noticed only "rep-a vs rep-b" as opposed to  "rep vs. cheapish gen".

Thanks again.

Could you spit out tbe actual name of the watch rather than have is guessing?  Might be easier to help that way

Do you mean something like this  https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nautilus-AUTOMATIC-WATCH-japan-f1-DIVER-DIDUN-style-bolt-gmt-geneve/174013787395?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=20160908105057&meid=aa460c3ea3d84c75b1c43596e04a3570&pid=100675&rk=1&rkt=15&sd=174013787395&itm=174013787395&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=2481888&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci:be7a069e-cc32-11e9-8949-74dbd180ea84|parentrq:e97d353e16c0ac3c6a9d8456ffd5cd0d|iid:1&redirect=mobile

GingerApple

Like this, but sterile you mean?

I'm not sure of the answer to your question, but I'd imagine cheap Gen movements are better than rep movements. I stand to be corrected my the millions in here who know better though.

MRR

That's the one.

Sorry for the vagueness. I wasn't sure how much we could say about gems.

GingerApple
5 minutes ago, MRR said:

Sorry for the vagueness. I wasn't sure how much we could say about gems.

We're all criminals - say what you like on here!

That's mine in a wristy I took when bored yesterday. Just get over the 'Rolex' thing and wear it anyway. If anyone asks (they hardly ever do), tell them it's fake! Fuck em!

BadPickle
5 minutes ago, TheFreckledTampon said:

We're all criminals - say what you like on here!

That's mine in a wristy I took when bored yesterday. Just get over the 'Rolex' thing and wear it anyway. If anyone asks (they hardly ever do), tell them it's fake! Fuck em!

@MRR everyone will just think it’s fake anyway, especially when they see it on your wrist when you hand them  Big Mac with large fries :giggle:

MRR

Well, that's some of the issue.  I'm in a field where many of my colleagues wear gens.

Again, I'm not against a rep if the movement is at least as good as a $70.00 Seiko 5.  If removing the Rolex and crown from the face is an option, I'd take it.  Otherwise, whatever.

Damn, now I want fries.

GingerApple
4 minutes ago, MRR said:

Again, I'm not against a rep if the movement is at least as good as a $70.00 Seiko 5. 

@GenTLe Thoughts? How do good rep movements compare to cheap Gens like the Seiko 7S26?

Dr Fun Socks

Get a swiss eta put in it by a modder? Cant fault a swiss eta!

GenTLe

I'm not sure of the answer to your question, but I'd imagine cheap Gen movements are better than rep movements.

Uhm... No.

The base Seiko movement he is mentioning is in pair of the lowest of the Miyota production, the 8205, not a case I have swapped all of f them for a Seiko NH35 which, at least, can be hand wound and hacks the second hand.

DayDate are based on a clone of the ETA 2834 (they always call it A2836 but that's wrong) and it is a well done and reliable movement. Of course it needs to be taken care like any mechanical movement doing the services when needed and so on.

To the OP: do you really think that a sterile watch is better then a rep in terms of society acceptance? A sterile watch (or a watch identical to the gen but with Parnis or any other fancy brand on it) is nothing else than a fake watch (the design has been stolen the same way) that will make you look like a wannabe.

So either keep using low cost gens with a distinguished design or get a properly done rep which none (except maybe a AD boutique opening it and looking at the movement) will recognise as a replica.

Rx4Time

My 2 cents.... look at brand other than Rolex and odds are almost zero of a call out or even a recognition.  The only brands besides Rolex I've ever had noticed on my wrist are my Pelagos (once) , Omega seamaster and Panerai.   The seamaster and Panerai have pretty unique design elements so easy to cue in.   Never been called out or questioned on authenticity....just general comments like oh, is that a *****. 

MRR

I tried.  But I could not find anything I liked nearly as much as what is in  @TheFreckledTampon's post.  

The only other one that came close was Maurice Lacroix that I could only find as a gen.  I'm certainly not paying over twice as much for a watch I like less.

Looks like my answers are;

1) Rep Rolex has a better movement than Seiko 5,

2) Probably cannot get the only watch I like in a sterile format.

So now I get to decide if my skinny wrist is man enough for a Rolex.

Mike777

Just get a good Tudor rep!

Problem solved.

MRR
6 hours ago, TheFreckledTampon said:

Show me a Tudor (or anything else) that looks like this and I'll buy it.

But I'm 95% of the way to pulling the trigger on this one anyway. 

Rx4Time

Honestly sometimes in this game you have to bend your expectations and wishes to what's available. Below is a comparison of a genuine and replica Tudor Pelagos that I own (before I sold the rep off).   Even in person the replica was very very close in appearance to the genuine.  Can you tell which one is genuine?   This is why I and many others here will tell you to pick the watch according to which one is the best and most accurate in your general style versus the one that you like the look of.  This is especially true if you're in a position where others around you may have genuine pieces. 

IMG_20180902_0954133effa34ebd7c4d01.jpg

One other bit of wisdom.... Make sure you pick a watch which has a clone ETA movement either a 2824 or 2836. This makes it easy and relatively inexpensive to just swap out the movement to it's Swiss counterpart should the watch malfunction or die.

MRR

I'm not concerned at all about it looking genuine.

I'm in the market for a watch.  A Seiko 5 has a movement that satisfies me and I've found a model that I sort of like.

The only watch I've found that I like better (and frankly, like a lot) is that one particular ice blue DD-40 Rolex.  As long as the movement is better than the  Seiko 5, it's probably worth the  300% higher price.

I simply would rather have an homage to that watch than a rep.  But, I also like  REO Speedwagon more than Journey, and I'm well aware that that's the incorrect stance to take.

Edited by MRR

Rx4Time

If you're fixated on the Platinum ice day date, just go for it and enjoy it!  After you get it report back here and let us know how you like it. 

CurioLeo
1 hour ago, MRR said:

I'm not concerned at all about it looking genuine.

I'm in the market for a watch.  A Seiko 5 has a movement that satisfies me and I've found a model that I sort of like.

The only watch I've found that I like better (and frankly, like a lot) is that one particular ice blue DD-40 Rolex.  As long as the movement is better than the  Seiko 5, it's probably worth the  300% higher price.

I simply would rather have an homage to that watch than a rep.  But, I also like  REO Speedwagon more than Journey, and I'm well aware that that's the incorrect stance to take.

The only watch you like better than a $70 Seiko5 is a $45k platinum DD Rolex ???? Nothing in between makes the cut ? Get an Apple watch,  this is not the hobby for you.

MRR
6 minutes ago, CurioLeo said:

The only watch you like better than a $70 Seiko5 is a $45k platinum DD Rolex ???? Nothing in between makes the cut ? Get an Apple watch,  this is not the hobby for you.

Pretty sure I've looked at several thousand watches. Everything on all the websites of TDs who have sites listed here and RWI, chart of every Seiko5 ever made, pages of  pics from dozens of web searches.

I'm filling a specific role for my daily watch when not wearing a suit; automatic, stainless metal band, day, date, contrast between hands and face, illuminated enough to easily read time at night, smooth bezel (not gold), light-colored face, no hour numbers...

Most do not have illuminated hands.  Others have poor illuminated indicators.  Those that are decent have obnoxious bezels.  White and silver faces seem to come with stainless hands and are hard to read.  I don't care for black, green, or red faces.  Even most blues are to dark for my tastes.

So, yeah; a particular Seiko5 or this Rolex  rep.   There is actually a Franken Seiko I like more than the other Seiko , but the face exists in only one model that is not made any more and isn't even on eBay.  Even if that base watch were available it would probably cost as much to source all the other parts as the Rolex rep costs.  I like the Day part of the Rolex more and it sounds like the movement is better.

This purchase is not about starting a hobby. The next tablesaw I buy is about starting a hobby.  This purchase is about a daily wearer that I hope will last many years.

Apple Watch? At least pretend to show me respect. :dry:

davidmodic

As somebody already mentioned 7s26 is a really low end movement. Very cheap too.... Hmm... your seiko died? And you feel attachment to it? Why not buy a new 7s26 movement and replace it? It will be very cheap and you will have exactly what you had up to now. Or better yet, buy a NH36 which has perks mentioned above. I’ve done this on my skx007. This will again not cost you much more than $30 (I looked just now and found plenty on ebay) if you keep everything else the same. 

With skx007 the crown is part of the stem, and they are not compatible across 7s26 and NH36, so you need to buy a converter, or a new crown. This can also be fairly cheap.

If you are uncomfortable doing this on your own, there are qualified watchsmiths on these fora or in your town, who will happily do this for you if you bring them the parts.

Hope this helps.

MRR
6 hours ago, GenTLe said:

To the OP: do you really think that a sterile watch is better then a rep in terms of society acceptance? 

I make no judgement or opinion on the societal acceptance.  I personally prefer what I have to be what I show. 

Part of it is probably because it's Rolex and it's such a noticeable brand.  But hey, that's all me.