vinnychase1

DeepSea Dweller gave out on me

vinnychase1

I ordered a  Sea Dweller form Perfect Clones 2 years ago and just last week It's stopped winding. What tools do I need to open up the watch and try to repair it. While I'm at it I'll try and age the dial and see how it turns out. 

Now the watch does wind sometime and it depends how I tighten the crown. If its loose it will wind but once I tighten the crown/stem it stops winding. 

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by vinnychase1

Flinnt

Are you saying that when the crown is screwed down to its lock position it doesn’t wind, but when you unscrew it to its wind position it winds? Because that’s how it reads to me. 

You might need to explain it better for stupids like me. 

Starting tools would be a sticky ball or wad of duct tape, screwdrivers and tweezers. After that, what tools you need depend on what you want to do. 

Raddave

the autowind stops working when the crown is screwed in ??

Rx4Time

Or do you mean you cannot manually wind it by the crown when it screwed down?  Or does it stop running when you screw the crown down?  If you could post some pictures and perhaps a video it might help, as I think everyone here is somewhat confused. 

BadApple

I think thicko thinks a watch can be wound with the crown locked :coke:

mysterio

This is a head scratcher...

vinnychase1

LOL, looks like I confused everyone. Maybe I don't know how to operate this watch. When the crown is screwed tight the "seconds" hand doesn't move. Even after wearing it for an hour. I Imagine that is the lock position. My other watches work the same way. But at times, when I loosen the crown the seconds hand will begin to move. Unfortunately it would be very loose allowing water to enter if I left it that loose. But yes, once the crown is tight it stops the seconds hand. 

Maybe I'm  doing something wrong. 

Rx4Time

My first instinct is the stem is too long and needs to be trimmed

Raddave
21 minutes ago, Rx4Time said:

My first instinct is the stem is too long and needs to be trimmed

id agree with this , but id check movement camps first before making adjustments 

vinnychase1
5 hours ago, Raddave said:

id agree with this , but id check movement camps first before making adjustments 

Ok, I will check this.  The watch worked will for over 1 year and stopped working when I failed to wear it for over 6 months. So, I would hate to trim the stem. 

Rx4Time
7 minutes ago, vinnychase1 said:

Ok, I will check this.  The watch worked will for over 1 year and stopped working when I failed to wear it for over 6 months. So, I would hate to trim the stem. 

If it was working fine for a long period this changes my opinion since an issue like that would have shown from the get-go.  This was my understanding when reading your initial post. 

Rokerite

Why would you age the dial of a DSSD? It is a watch only released 10 years ago. People  artificially "age" the classic Sea Dweller watches because the lume was made of tritium on these,  and developed patina over time, so people try to imitate that. The DSSD lume is superluminova which doesn't age as much if at all. You will not see a gen DSSD with "aged" hands or indices on the dial.

vinnychase1
16 hours ago, Rokerite said:

Why would you age the dial of a DSSD? It is a watch only released 10 years ago. People  artificially "age" the classic Sea Dweller watches because the lume was made of tritium on these,  and developed patina over time, so people try to imitate that. The DSSD lume is superluminova which doesn't age as much if at all. You will not see a gen DSSD with "aged" hands or indices on the dial.

You are correct, this one is not that deep, it's only the Sea Dweller. I did get the watches mixed up. The DSSD was a mistake. I should have been typing SD not DSSD. 

17 hours ago, Rx4Time said:

If it was working fine for a long period this changes my opinion since an issue like that would have shown from the get-go.  This was my understanding when reading your initial post. 

Yes, you are correct. When I re-read the post I was not specific on date of purchase. The watch is about 2 years old and for 6 months I stopped wearing it and it seems to not run at the moment. 

Raddave
19 hours ago, vinnychase1 said:

was the crown unscrewed while it sat ?

BadPickle

Did you actually wind it? I mean 20-30 winds of the crown instead of just picking it up and “swirling” to get it going? 

vinnychase1
6 hours ago, pickledbeetroot said:

Did you actually wind it? I mean 20-30 winds of the crown instead of just picking it up and “swirling” to get it going? 

Actually, No I haven't. I wore it for about 2 days to get it going - but never thought about winding the watch. In what position should the stem be in to wind. 

I have a small collection of Gens and typically after I wear them for half the day or even just even within an hour they start keeping time. 

That may be the answer. This is the watch description.

RLSD00077 16600 Classic Sea Dweller SS Blk Asian 2836/31

vinnychase1
11 hours ago, pickledbeetroot said:

Worked!

This actually did the trick. Right on! Simple fix. I loosened the crown and pulled it to the last position. I turned it gently in each position clockwise and bingo! Watch started keeping time like a genuine Lorex. 

Thanks Pickledbeetroot and everyones help. 

GingerApple

I'm new to this thread. I've just read all of the above. I'm just going to say, 'Wow'.

And 'Special'. It would be remiss of me not to say 'Special'.

tucker
10 minutes ago, vinnychase1 said:

Worked!

This actually did the trick. Right on! Simple fix. I loosened the crown and pulled it to the last position. I turned it gently in each position clockwise and bingo! Watch started keeping time like a genuine Lorex. 

Thanks Pickledbeetroot and everyones help. 

Lol

vinnychase1
8 minutes ago, TheFreckledTampon said:

I'm new to this thread. I've just read all of the above. I'm just going to say, 'Wow'.

And 'Special'. It would be remiss of me not to say 'Special'.

So I went to look at the date of purchase and the watch is actually 4 years old. The crown was loose when it sat for about 6 months. My gens work pretty much the same way. Once I wear them for a short time, they start to keep time. I typically only wear a watch 30 days out of the year now a days.  LOL, I'm not sure why I never tried to wind this thing. I figured it would break, but these are very resilient. 

BadPickle
2 hours ago, tucker said:

Lol

I didn’t realise they’d let you in here :lolcina:

tucker
16 minutes ago, pickledbeetroot said:

I didn’t realise they’d let you in here :lolcina:

I don’t think they know yet so let’s keep it quiet. 

Glaude
3 hours ago, tucker said:

I don’t think they know yet so let’s keep it quiet. 

39jb81.jpg

Raddave

wow OK so im guessing the autowind module has failed on your watch then ...

GingerApple
8 hours ago, Glaude said:

39jb81.jpg

Who's Fucker?

Edit: Tucker

Edited by TheFreckledTampon
Entirely accidental spelling mistake