hanski

Fun Alternatives to the Oyster Bracelet

hanski

The fake posts on IG that pretend to just be talking about a product the user likes but really it’s advertising for me - it convinced me to buy the reboot of the vintage Tropic rubber strap by Synchron (you might know them for their Aquadive Bathyscaphe). Anyways, having gotten another strap alternative for my Submariner, something different then the ubiquitous Oyster bracelet I decided to keep going. Let me qualify that to say, there’s nothing wrong with an Oyster - love that bracelet and design. Anyways, onwards: 

5-B2-EC8-FF-4-C39-4-D84-B05-C-EA88-E6-DA

First up is my trusty gen Rolex folded link jubilee with big crown clasp. It’s not a cheap date but it’s still about 1/2 the price of a gen Oyster. I like how this dresses up a submariner - like an alternative to a jet setting GMT and more like leaving the boardroom and hopping into first class to go scuba off my favorite tropical island. It’s light, easy wearing, and unassuming. 

3-BF17609-C18-E-4-C28-820-C-8137-D8-A57-

D04-A5-F9-A-7391-4-BDD-99-E9-71374-B25-A

Next up is the new version of the vintage Tropic rubber strap. I was sold on its being true to the design of the vintage straps but using updates rubber formula to make it supple, avoid lint/dust, and strong. It’s legit, it’s soft like a piece of suede, doesn’t pick up any dust/lint, and in keeping with the vintage design, the coffers help dry your wrist quickly. It has a nice, tapering profile and give the submariner a casual appearance. Two details did bother me, the clasp is a bit pointy and the ends at the lugs is simply cut. I wish the clasp had more depth to sit flush to the strap and a rounded end would’ve been a better resolution. 

84139962-A9-B3-480-E-8-A1-C-82-F4-EA7-ED

08-DFFB25-257-B-4253-84-F5-6-E6914470547

Of course I had to try a shark mesh - not that you see them often, much less on a submariner. Sure, I think this will protect a 20mm swath of skin and bone around your wrist from a shark bite but that’s about as far as my enthusiasm for this bracelet goes. It’s thick, it’s heavy, it isn’t as flexible as I expected, and I cannot stand the clasp. It’s a big bracelet that overwhelms a 40mm watch. Sure, I got it fairly cheap on eBay but it claimed to be the “Original”. Meh. 

1262919-B-1884-42-CB-A774-8-AAF35729-A6-

B09-F61-B5-4-CDF-4-DB9-85-C8-3-DF71-D960

I understand nylon perlons were a thing with divers in the 70’s and now they’re making a comeback. I always associated perlon with the woven leather belts and straps but nylon is a fun alternative - especially for something meant to get wet. It’s a light, light, light strap. Lighter than a nato. But it also dries much faster than a nato. With the wide variety of colors it makes for a fun wear but I’m not sure I’d wear it long term this way. 

28-D86582-8-DB4-4874-8922-039-FA9-CF8310

B5330039-7-E0-A-4151-8-E05-EFF794-A1-A58

And of course what sampling of strap wouldn’t be complete without a nato. I decided on a Bond color palette (not that I have a Bond watch). I also went with a 18mm nato to wear “British style” as I saw one blog post claim it to be. Whatever is called, it’s cool. Having the thinner strap against the profile of the submariner almost reminds me of how the profile of the Oyster marries up to the modern Maxi cases. Hmm. I also like the thicker quality of the nato and substance of wrapping the strap back on itself. Obviously a casual wear but a cool casual. 

D1-C5-F3-A6-9109-4985-B416-DD21762-ED980

5-AC8-BABC-0873-4-CBB-BD12-2-C2-EC1-EAD6

Finally an Erika’s Original Marine Nationale parachute strap appropriate to the MN Tudors contemporary to mine (although a date sub wouldn’t have been military issue). Again, I am suckered into the vintage reboot of old technology. I think this wears similarly to the nato, as a cool, casual strap. But unlike the nato is is elastic which makes wearing it and taking on/off infinitely easier. I also like the hardware. One downside is it is thick, doesn’t dry fast, and absorbs lots of sweat. It needs frequent washings. 

B795-A70-A-18-B2-48-F4-BC4-A-8-B1-C46-FC

20-B3-C5-E4-59-A6-431-F-8-C8-E-12-F24-D6

Well that’s what I’ve got. I’m curious to hear your go to alternatives. 

And me, I’ll probably fall back on my jubilee. It’s become my go to default. 

Sembal

Nice collection of straps! Thanks for the review, a nato and a rubber oyster are on their way for my rep roli’s, a modern sub  and 5514. 

Theviking

Lovely hairy wristies @hanski. For those unsure, try some alternative straps. Rolex (Tudor) in disguise

semperfi55

Love it! Especially the Perlon strap.

Now just need to get more subs to match these bracelet options :D 

hanski
2 hours ago, Theviking said:

Lovely hairy wristies @hanski. For those unsure, try some alternative straps. Rolex (Tudor) in disguise

They sure are - I still haven’t come around to shaving my arms like @TheFreckledTampon

GingerApple

Jesus, you kill one cat and everyone calls you, 'Cat Killer'!

So I lightly trimmed an inch or two of wrist pube, get over yourselves!!!!

:bananarider:

Flinnt
2 hours ago, TheFreckledTampon said:

Jesus, you kill one cat and everyone calls you, 'Cat Killer'!

So I lightly trimmed an inch or two of wrist pube, get over yourselves!!!!

You see that shed over there? I built that shed and do you think they call me Gary the builder?..no. 

You see that house over there? I painted that house and do you think they call me Gary the painter?..no. 

You see that dunny over there? I installed that dunny and do you think they call me Gary the plumber?..no. 

You see that fence over there? I built that fence and do you think they call me Gary the fencer?..no. 

But you fuck one goat...

NCRich
On 01/09/2019 at 20:03, hanski said:

They sure are - I still haven’t come around to shaving my arms like @TheFreckledTampon

The gorilla look is in this year.  It's funny, I have a NOS Tropic rubber strap in grey.  I've never worn it, but the previous owner said it was a very valuable little strap.  Something like $300.  That true?

hanski
15 minutes ago, NCRich said:

The gorilla look is in this year.  It's funny, I have a NOS Tropic rubber strap in grey.  I've never worn it, but the previous owner said it was a very valuable little strap.  Something like $300.  That true?

A NOS Tropic brand tropic strap is valuable these days. Particularly 20mm

Heres a 19mm for example: 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F162713353853