gceaves

Buying Advice & General Thoughts on Reps

gceaves

Dear RWG,

Some thoughts on purchasing reps.

I own two reps. One is a Rolex Explorer GMT polar on a bracelet, the other is a Patek Nautilus, also on a bracelet. Both were bought through Andrew at Trusty Time. I am quite content with both purchases and with that retailer.

ROLEXP2033 - 2011 Explorer II 42mm White

PP0182 - Nautilus Jumbo SS/SS Blue Miyota 9015

Both watches are OK... I guess. I'm kind of embarrassed to wear them, to be honest, though no one has ever noticed/ commented. I normally just wear my genuine JLC Reverso instead, or my Seiko Astron. After a genuine Reverso or a genuine Astron, reps can feel somewhat... shoddy or even fake, if I dare use that word. It's mostly in the metalwork. The watch aspects of a rep are fine, but the metalwork just feels thin to my fingers. Especially on a difficult Genta design like the Nautilus, or maybe a Royal Oak. I can imagine that being some very fine, difficult metallurgy. The rep bracelet is simply... fine.  

Which leads me to my ~Rep Watch Buying Recommendations~. I would limit my future rep purchases as follows.

-- three hands, no sub-seconds dial, date aperture is allowable, no-date is better

-- no other complications

-- leather strap, no metal bracelet; leather is easy to make, metal is hard to craft

-- closed caseback; a display caseback just adds unnecessary glam to your watch; or maybe have a display caseback, but keep it simple

-- check out each reputable dealer's Deals section; these retailers are often long this model or that model, and need to clear 'em out to make space. Generally, don't spend over USD $200. Just wait for it to show up in the Deals section, and then pick it up.

-- avoid new releases of this year's design; our Guangdong factories are good, and fast, and accurate, but I would still wait a year or so for a new design to be perfected

-- avoid chronographs, complications, sub dials, fancy dial artwork, et cetera. Such items can be off by a millimeter here or there, only increasing the fakeness feel

So that's it: buy the simplest rep possible. The rep factories in Guangdong can handle the simple models quite well. Once you get more complicated, with complications, chronographs, fancy artwork, movements, metal bracelets, beautiful designs (Nautilus, Royal Oak, Reverso, Navitimer), etc., you get farther and farther from the perfect three-handed rep watch.

So... I'm going to go buy now some simple Panerai or that Cartier Santos, or a vintage Rolex. All are classic designs, with little chance to make mistakes with gaudy or clunky handiwork during the rep manufacturing process.

What are your thoughts, please? I'll buy you all a beer for your input. ^^

Happy watching~

Indywatchguy

I think with your limited experience in the rep game you don’t have a clear perspective on reps. There are many fine made pieces that rival the gen! I have several “super” reps that with a side by side comparison can’t be picked apart from gen. The fit, finish, and feel are superb!

If you are only willing to spend $200 on a rep then that’s what you’ll get! Not sure what you mean by metal feel but the new subs are made of 904L steel are insanely good! I own a gen 5 digit sub and the rep subs feel the same.

I do agree with you on buying reps with less intricate workings and closed casebacks if you’re wanting to limit error risk but have you seen the new Noob Daytona with SA4130 all functioning chronos?!?!?!

Panerai and no date sub c are both excellent choices! I’d go ARF on the sub c.

My suggestion is do more research and be willing to spend more money before judging so harshly on a hobby you haven’t fully explored. Now where’s my beer!

Enjoy to the max!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

elp

Moved to the Lounge.

Not sure 2 reps count as a statistically significant sample to base conclusions or recommendations on .... members can chime in with their super-rep experiences, there are numerous examples.

gceaves

Good points. Thank you, all~