dsg2013

Help & Expertise appreciated on new purchase!

dsg2013

Hello all,

Let me start first of all for by apologizing for asking a newbie question. I haven't purchased a new rep in about 4 years now so I'm a little bit rusty. 

With the recent 50th anniversary of the Apollo lunar landings my quest for the most coveted watch personally for me the Speedmaster moonwatch was reinvigorated. It went up-to a point where I almost pulled the trigger on getting the gen from Torneau on financing. However I felt that financing a watch was probably not the best thing to do as I just got a new car. So after weeks of begging I was able to convince my wife to let me buy a rep (ps. this was after I got her a hermes apple watch for her birthday).

So now that I've rambled on quite a bit I'm at a stage where I've scowered through every TD's website to find the best 1:1 match for this mythical watch. After extensive research and spending more time searching than I care to admit I feel like Kevin at Kuvarsit probably has the best version.

https://kuvarsit04.com/speedmaster-professional-ss-omf-best-edition-black-dial-on-ss-bracelet-manual-winding-chrono-movement/

I wanted to see if I'm correct and if anyone has bought this one in particular from Kevin before have any pics.

Any and all help is sincerely appreciated. 

Again I'm terribly sorry for a newbie question. I know we have a section for it but I wanted to reach out to any kind souls personally. 

Thanks.

DG

GenTLe

You know that there is no 1:1 speedy due to different placement of subdials (movement constrain), right?

That one is good, but you'll need to live with the wrong dial and with the hour subdial mimicking the movement of the hour main hand (unless you mod it).

dsg2013

I did do my research regarding the spacing and the difference in the movement so I'm well and fully prepared that it's never going to be a exact but just trying to get get the best I can especially there's so many options on every TD's website. 

Also as I said it's been a while so just wanted to make sure there aren't any "better" versions out there.

I also realize everything I'm saying makes me sound like a noob and please be rest assured I am ashamed lol

GingerApple

I've got fifty odd reps, but until they replicate the Speedy movement (which might be never), I'll not buy a Speedy rep, no matter how much I love the Gen - the reps are just dreadful. That's the one watch imo you should go Gen on! So I'd say save up your pennies for Gen and forget these poor imitations.

That said, if you're convinced you want the Rep, I'm afraid I can't help in terms of which is the best - because they're all a bit shit sadly.

Good luck either way.

CurioLeo

It won't scratch your itch for a gen Speedy, especially since it is clearly your grail watch.  Here is a left field suggestion- try a Bulova moonwatch until you are ready for the real deal purchase. 

dsg2013
17 minutes ago, CurioLeo said:

It won't scratch your itch for a gen Speedy, especially since it is clearly your grail watch.  Here is a left field suggestion- try a Bulova moonwatch until you are ready for the real deal purchase. 

I completely forgot that existed!

Till now I've been making it work with a quartz cheapie of the 40th anniversay edition that I bought on M2M here.

I see more anguish in my future till I can drop the money on the gen. Appreciate everyone's input!

dsg2013

So I finally pulled the trigger on the one from Kevin. We'll see when it comes in. I'll try to do a review so maybe it can help others like me.

Thanks for all the help gents!