• ARF Oyster Perpetual Dark Rhodium
    • ARF Oyster Perpetual Blue
    • MKF IWC Pilot Mark XVIII
    • ARF Rolex Submariner
    • Tudor Blue Pelagos V6F/XF V4  
    • Other

museguy

Hi All, 

I am new to replica watches.  In the past have modded many Seikos, which I find very interesting and relaxing.  Especially enjoy learning about the finer details of watch constriction and mechanics.  

Have found the RWG forum very interesting with a very nice group of members.  Have been reading and studying here on RWG and RWI, thank you all for your guidance and patience as I learn my way around replica watches !

Have yet to purchase my first replica watch, have a few on a shortlist ARF Oyster Perpetual Dark Rhodium or Blue, MKF IWC Pilot Mark XVIII,  ARF Rolex Submariner, and the Tudor Blue Pelagos V6F/XF V4.  Have found the [CONSENSUAL LIST] Super Reps NWBIGs thread very informative.  

A few questions:

1. Any recommendations on which watch should be my first replica watch purchase ?
  2. Any "must have" that should be on my short list.
  3. Are there less expensive ($150 to $250) NWBIG watches ?

Thank you !

Edited by museguy
Added link

KarmaToBurn

Out of your short list I'd personally select the Pelagos. I'm a fan of divers and you get a Ti case and bracelet which isn't too common.

• Like 1

museguy

Hi @KarmaToBurn !

Thank you for the suggestion. 

Do you have the Tudor Blue Pelagos V6F/XF V4 ?  The adjustable clasp and the titanium makes the watch very interesting.  Also like the clean minimal design.

The titanium watch case and band of the Tudor Blue Pelagos V6F/XF V4 got me thinking about ceramic watch cases, but so far the MKF IWC Top Gun is the only ceramic case watch I have found that I like the design.

- Best

thejudge

If you after a diver you might want to look VSF Omega Seamaster Diver 300m its the first super rep I've bought and its well liked on here.

To begin with you might want to start with a Regmariner that's probably the best way for a newbie to start rather than ordering $300+ super rep

• Like 1

black263

You've only got 5 on your list. Throw a die and buy what comes up.  Once it's on its way, repeat.  The 5 will then form an initial introduction to your collection.

Griffo

Other than a list of watches. Tell us more about what you’re looking for in a watch. Some of those watches are very different to each other.

GenTLe

Surrend to yourself, once you'll get one, you'll most probably also buy the others too.

My vote is for the Pelagos or the VSF seamaster 300 42mm as mentioned. Then the Rolex Oyster or the Omega Aquaterra.

I am a fan of the IWCs except the pilot mark ones that I find boring (other than small for me).

nick3237

My vote is for the IWC XVIII. I have had the repped XVII and also owned a gen model. Honestly, I could have easily lost track of the gen vs. the rep. 

• Like 1

CurioLeo

Any one of your choices will be highly satisfactory as a first rep.  You will be giddy with the bang for buck aspect of paying several hundred dollars instead of several thousand.  It will soon wear off and you will contemplate your next purchase. Slippery slope from there - especially if the starting point was super reps.  Having said that, I wouldn't contemplating purchasing any other type of rep.

As for your specific choices, the Submariner seems like an obvious choice but trust me (or not .....  doesn't really chance my life) you will not get as big a buzz as you think.  Every one wants a sub at some point but wearing a rep sub just doesn't scratch the  itch for long.  The IWC is an excellent quality rep - the M&F Grand versions are pretty much gen quality and terrific for every day wear, provided you are OK with relatively unassuming and light watches.  The blue of the oyster perpetual isn't quite right, the rhodium is good but rather drab (gen is pretty boring too in my opinion).  Of course, that might be a good thing as it would be a safe bet for a gen purchase as "my one good watch".  Even a gen blue Pelagos is a watch that doesn't pop on the wrist - I have just about every gen Tudor worth buying - except a Pelagos, because it is meant to be a tool watch and made like one and just kind of hard to find a place in an extensive collection.  Nothing wrong with that in a single watch collection - wear and forget might well be fine for you ?  

There are several other options that are virtually indistinguishable from the gen and NWBIG (such as several PAMs - especially the older ETA models, some Breitlings,  Cartier Santos, AP ROO diver) but at the end of the day the question really is "what do you already have, what do you want the watch for and does it suit your overall persona and style".   People will assume your watch is a fake (and by extension you) if you are wearing a $22k AP and driving a 12 year old Toyota Corolla.

• Like 1

Undinist

I'd get a six digit gold Rolex sub or a big Panerai diver.  More impact. More conspicuous. More cheeky. I have the  former and it's been very enjoyable to show it to people and give them an intro to the rep phenomenon.

• Like 1

museguy

Thank you all for the suggestions !  Very much appreciated.

It took me a while, but I pulled the trigger and ordered a Oyster Perpetual in Dark Rhodium from Joshua.  The watch shipped today. 

Already thinking about the next purchase.   

The_Proctometrist

YES to all!  Buy them all.  Scrimp save sacrifice but get them all!

museguy
On 10/09/2019 at 20:47, CurioLeo said:

Any one of your choices will be highly satisfactory as a first rep.  You will be giddy with the bang for buck aspect of paying several hundred dollars instead of several thousand.  It will soon wear off and you will contemplate your next purchase. Slippery slope from there - especially if the starting point was super reps.  Having said that, I wouldn't contemplating purchasing any other type of rep.

As for your specific choices, the Submariner seems like an obvious choice but trust me (or not .....  doesn't really chance my life) you will not get as big a buzz as you think.  Every one wants a sub at some point but wearing a rep sub just doesn't scratch the  itch for long.  The IWC is an excellent quality rep - the M&F Grand versions are pretty much gen quality and terrific for every day wear, provided you are OK with relatively unassuming and light watches.  The blue of the oyster perpetual isn't quite right, the rhodium is good but rather drab (gen is pretty boring too in my opinion).  Of course, that might be a good thing as it would be a safe bet for a gen purchase as "my one good watch".  Even a gen blue Pelagos is a watch that doesn't pop on the wrist - I have just about every gen Tudor worth buying - except a Pelagos, because it is meant to be a tool watch and made like one and just kind of hard to find a place in an extensive collection.  Nothing wrong with that in a single watch collection - wear and forget might well be fine for you ?  

There are several other options that are virtually indistinguishable from the gen and NWBIG (such as several PAMs - especially the older ETA models, some Breitlings,  Cartier Santos, AP ROO diver) but at the end of the day the question really is "what do you already have, what do you want the watch for and does it suit your overall persona and style".   People will assume your watch is a fake (and by extension you) if you are wearing a $22k AP and driving a 12 year old Toyota Corolla.

Dear CurioLeo,

Thank you ! 

I have come back a few times to re read your post.  Besides the great suggestions, you are a very good writer. 

My first purchase has not arrived and already trying to decide on the next purchase, short list:

1. IWC Laureus Sport Ingenieur 2824 Noob
  2. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (black)
  3. IWC IW327010 MARK XVIII by V7 

Best 

CurioLeo
1 hour ago, museguy said:

Dear CurioLeo,

Thank you ! 

I have come back a few times to re read your post.  Besides the great suggestions, you are a very good writer. 

My first purchase has not arrived and already trying to decide on the next purchase, short list:

1. IWC Laureus Sport Ingenieur 2824 Noob
  2. Blancpain Fifty Fathoms (black)
  3. IWC IW327010 MARK XVIII by V7 

Best 

You are welcome and great choices :thumbsup:  I have the first 2 as well as two Mark XVIIIs - the best versions of the Laureus with Miyota 9015 and the  Heritage with A2892.  I don't know what the current iterations of the Laureus Ingenieur and the BPFF are like but mine are the original super reps, both with genuine Sellita SW200 movements.  Both are several years old and still look and work great.  Assuming the quality hasn't fallen off a cliff (no real reason to since everything else seems to have improved over time), the current versions should serve you well.  Can't really suggest one over the others as a clearly superior choice, given that I have them all, so........ buy them all eventually ???  If I really, really had to pick one I would probably go with the BPFF.  I am surprised you nominated the black version though, given both of the others on the shortlist are blue dials.   Good luck, half the fun is deciding on the next purchase :D

• Like 1

Intresting
On 11/09/2019 at 11:47, CurioLeo said:

People will assume your watch is a fake (and by extension you) if you are wearing a $22k AP and driving a 12 year old Toyota Corolla.

How true.   This is a great thread.  No mention of Subs, GMTs or Sea Dwellers at all.   Oh wait,  the newbie is getting an oyster perpetual.   Thats fine.  Understated elegance.

• Like 1

museguy

My watch collection as of today. 

Watchbox never sell (?):

HslDP.jpg

Watchbox thinking of selling:

HsBMJ.jpg

Not show in the photos;

Four Seiko Pogue Chronographs 6139-6002 (two yellow, one blue and one champagne) all are being cleaned, rebuilt. One (1) ARF Oyster Perpetual, on order from Joshua.

"Need" In order of priority (first "priorities" NWBIG watches):

1. Noob IWC Laureus Sport Ingenieur 2824
  2. Blue Pelagos V6F
  3. VSF Omega Aqua Terra 8500 Black
  4. ZF Blue Fifty Fathoms (not sure about blue color)
  5. ARF or Noob Submariner (not sure 2824 or 3135)
  6. ZF IWC Portofino Chrono or ZF IWC Portuguese Chrono
  7. MK Mark XVIII (not sure maybe blue dial or MK XI)
  8. Genuine Speedmaster Professional  (don't think rep will scratch the itch)
  9. MKF Phillipe Patek Nautilus 5711 (more of a curiosity)
  10. Radiomir 1940 Ref. PAM00512 (don't know of any decent replicas)
  11. Rolex GMT (not sure what factory is best)
  12. JF Rolex Explorer I and maybe Noob Explorer II
  13. Noob Rolex Chronograph (not sure which one)
  14. Sinn U1 (not sure on factory)

Would love to hear feedback, thoughts, thank you.

P.S. All of this makes me think I need to pull out all my cameras and take a photo.  Yes, I have OCD and an issue with collecting ! 

P.P.S. Feels a little like posting baby pictures in a public online forum

Edited by museguy
added text

Mike R
1 hour ago, museguy said:

Watchbox thinking of selling:

Nice roomy watch boxes.

My boxes don’t seem to be comfortable holding anything over 43 mm

After that they start scrubbing against each other, not good

Oh yeah, some nice watches to :Applause:

museguy
40 minutes ago, Mike R said:

Nice roomy watch boxes.

My boxes don’t seem to be comfortable holding anything over 43 mm

After that they start scrubbing against each other, not good

Hi MikeR,

Thank you !  Got the watch box on Amazon, 

Watch Box for 10 Wood Finish XL Extra Large Compartments Fits 63mm Soft Cushions Clearance Glass Window 

The only watchbox I have found for large watches.

Edited by museguy

The_Proctometrist
On 01/11/2019 at 15:12, museguy said:

Would love to hear feedback, thoughts, thank you.

Love your collection mate. Yes please post them individually on our various threads.

• Like 1

museguy
4 minutes ago, ballandbiscuit said:

Love your colletion mate. Yes please pist them individually on our various threads.

Thank you ballandbiscuit, very kind of you.

Edited by museguy

Griffo

@museguy - the first pic, top row 2nd watch - what Seiko is that with the white dial? Lovely!

museguy

Hi @Griffo,

The watch is a Seiko 6139-6012 purchased off ebay.

Griffo
19 hours ago, museguy said:

Hi @Griffo,

The watch is a Seiko 6139-6012 purchased off ebay.

Thank you. I’ll keep an eye out!

museguy

Hi All,

Received my first replica watch, busy unpacking.

Edited by museguy
Moved text