dsg2013

Omega Dress Watches (Need Advice!)

dsg2013

Hello all,

I’ve been contemplating to get a proper dress watch for an upcoming black tie affair and since I have a very fond liking for Omega I’ve narrowed it down to a couple of options.

Mind you, closest thing I have to a dress watch is a blue tuxedo dial Aquaterra.

Option 1:

The Seamaster Edizione Venezia

So basically a dressier and clean version of the Aquaterra at 39.5 mm and automatic.

963015fed906794cfb92395f92fb5b3a.jpg

Option 2:

The Deville Tressor

I guess a proper dress watch at 40 mm and handwound.

a0347074b6961fbc5eae7e5be9bdb98e.jpg

Hard choice since I like the EV but that would be my 4th seamaster model after planet ocean, Aquaterra and the Spectre 300. Maybe the variety of having a Deville is good.

Would love to hear everyone’s thoughts or pictures if anyone has either!

Cheers..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stevestown

FudgyDocker

For a dress watch, I wouldn't go Omega. But if you insist, #1

dsg2013
For a dress watch, I wouldn't go Omega. But if you insist, #1

Not completely set on omega, I thought about nomos too. Not sure where to start with a proper dress watch so I went to my default with omega

CurioLeo

I would get a Grand Seiko (assuming you are talking gen watch here) otherwise a vintage Seikomatic 35j which looks an awful lot like #1

FudgyDocker

Agree with ^^^^^. Are we talking Gen or Rep, here?

dsg2013

For the Omega it'd be a rep but I can do gen for a seiko.  Speaking of the grand seiko that logo is just too ugly!

RussP
6 minutes ago, dsg2013 said:

For the Omega it'd be a rep but I can do gen for a seiko.  Speaking of the grand seiko that logo is just too ugly!

It's an acquired taste.

After being involved in the rep game for a while, you will learn to recognise the classic lines and beauty of the GS range.

A good rep dress watch would be a Patek Calatrava.

FoxWilde

Calatrava, or maybe...just maybe a nice IWC. I like the DeVilles. 

FudgyDocker
CurioLeo

Not actually mine (I do have the same watch) but a 6218-8950 Seikomatic- right before it was rebranded as GS62. Possibly the best bang for buck dress watch you will ever get. 

seikomatic-6218-8950.jpg

Flinnt

The wearing of a dress suit needs an acknowledgement of the irony contained in the act. A nod to the farce that it is. An emphasis of the ridiculous nature contained within. 

So I present you with the best choice, an Omega to boot. 

4-FA975-E5-9315-4-B64-A7-E8-64-F03377-A2

KarmaToBurn

If I currently wanted to get myself a new dress watch it would probably be a Glashutte Senator Sixties with the blue dial.

If you're set on one of those Omega's I like the first one.

porschespeedster

Grab a used gen Omega dress watch, mate.

For 2-3-400 dollars/pounds/euros you can usually find something decent. Most of the 'Omega Geneve' handwinds are at that price point, and if you're lucky you could find a dress Seamaster or De Ville.

Yes, a 400 dollar gen is 2x the cost of most reps, but if you ever sell it you'll get that money back. 

Edited by porschespeedster

VMSG

The Edizione Venezia is amazing (no rep AFAIK). Like others said, I prefer Patek, JLC, IEC, ap and Breguet (the ultimate dress brand IMO) for dress watches... Omega is more a sporty brand.

steveo75

I've got a couple of rep dress watches, a JLC Master Ultra Thin which I find a bit awkward to wear, with the case back making it sit weirdly on my wrist and a white faced Deville Tressor which I love. Get a good strap for it and it's a smart looking watch. Something to be aware of is that the date starts moving 3 or 4 hours before midnight, flipping fully at midnight (on mine at least, which has been serviced), maybe a quirk of the movement but checking my watch at 10pm flags up my OCD a bit!

dsg2013

I thought about the globemaster but I can’t get past the bezel. Wish it was a smooth one

VMSG

I thought about the globemaster but I can’t get past the dial

Plus, it is very hard to call a 13mm watch a dress watch. IMO, 10mm should be the top limit for a dress watch thickness.

dsg2013
The wearing of a dress suit needs an acknowledgement of the irony contained in the act. A nod to the farce that it is. An emphasis of the ridiculous nature contained within. 
So I present you with the best choice, an Omega to boot. 
4-FA975-E5-9315-4-B64-A7-E8-64-F03377-A260.jpg

But I already have that
0f9a137aa933b5f00a760e349f23ffa6.jpg

Not actually mine (I do have the same watch) but a 6218-8950 Seikomatic- right before it was rebranded as GS62. Possibly the best bang for buck dress watch you will ever get. 
seikomatic-6218-8950.jpg

This I like. Reminds me of the Aquaterra 2500

dsg2013
The Edizione Venezia is amazing (no rep AFAIK). Like others said, I prefer Patek, JLC, IEC, ap and Breguet (the ultimate dress brand IMO) for dress watches... Omega is more a sporty brand.

I saw the seamaster eve on Josh’s website. Haven’t asked him if they still make it..

https://www.pf-868.com/watches/omega/seamaster/seamaster-mens/edizione-venezia.html

I've got a couple of rep dress watches, a JLC Master Ultra Thin which I find a bit awkward to wear, with the case back making it sit weirdly on my wrist and a white faced Deville Tressor which I love. Get a good strap for it and it's a smart looking watch. Something to be aware of is that the date starts moving 3 or 4 hours before midnight, flipping fully at midnight (on mine at least, which has been serviced), maybe a quirk of the movement but checking my watch at 10pm flags up my OCD a bit!

I’m leaning towards tressor as the EV would me the 5th in the seamaster family. I might get a gen leather strap with a deployment buckle. Not a fan of the tang buckle

VMSG

I saw the seamaster eve on Josh’s website. Haven’t asked him if they still make it..

I didn't know about it, thank you!

Abe Fromen

I remember James Dowling telling me on a forum years ago.... a dress watch must be a white dial with NO complications, so think Calatrava. Granted it was years ago and he's a crankly old guy but knows his isht. Of the two choices, I say white dial but I would look at a Patek or a JLC  if I wanted a true dress watch that is slim and understated. 

CurioLeo
16 hours ago, dsg2013 said:

Here is mine

20190914-120221.jpg

16 hours ago, dsg2013 said:

dsg2013

So went with the seamaster from Joshua. Will do a review once it comes in. Stay tuned