Intresting

Oyster Perptual 114300 JF 316 vs ARF 904L

Intresting

Hi, trying to search the archives for more info and thin on ground,  how does the 114300 JF 316 grape compare with the new ARF 904L one?  is the ARF worth the extra $100?   Feedback appreciated.  Thanks

Mr_B

Same factory, You're basically paying for the 904L steel used in the ARF. 

Intresting

Thanks!  If all things the same,  just wonder the opinions of members of the merits of 904L vs 316.   Maybe its good to save the cash, after all, its a rep...?

Mr_B

That's a very RWI question, most of us on this forum don't really care if it's 904 or 316 

tonyh7

Rolex use 904L steel because of its extreme resistance to corrosion. If you worked for example as a diver and your watch was immersed in seawater every day for a year, 316 steel might corrode, but 904 should be fine. It is a complete mystery to me why anyone should care about this difference in a rep watch, given that I would barely risk my reps washing my hands much less diving. In fact I've always wondered how you would know if your 904 rep was 904 at all, and not just the same old 316 rep with an added $100. 

Genius
Just now, tonyh7 said:

I've always wondered how you would know if your 904 rep was 904 at all, and not just the same old 316 rep with an added $100

Probably is just that.  Maybe some are 904 but if a factory ran out of 914 bracelets and had some 316 ones in stock there's no way they'll turn down the order...

Mr_B
46 minutes ago, Genius said:

Probably is just that.  Maybe some are 904 but if a factory ran out of 914 bracelets and had some 316 ones in stock there's no way they'll turn down the order...

They supposedly use different codes in the clasps, so if you were anal enough you'd spot the rogue 316 being passed off.

Khronos

I had a 904 and a 316 Explorer 1 side by side. They are exactly the same in all light conditions. 316 is fine. 

gooner2826

Remember seeing a chap on RWI who started a thread called gen brushing (or something similar).

Basically used a Bergeon satin finishing wheel on his TC sub (316 steel) on a lapping machine and it was identical to his gen Hulk finishing (904 steel). Basically, as long as the finishing is good, literally indistinguishable between the two. 

Tony above is right, higher nickel content in the 904 only helps with corrosion. The "white" sheen on a Rolex is due to the quality of the finishing, not the steel used. 

Intresting

Great info.   I must say having got an ARF datejust 41 supposedly in 904, I just can't see the difference with 316, especially when both are just polished.     I wonder if the BP 114300 stacks up just as well as the ARF one?   Its in 316 and a hundred cheaper.

Genius
On 14/09/2019 at 14:20, Mr_B said:

They supposedly use different codes in the clasps, so if you were anal enough you'd spot the rogue 316 being passed off.

Unless it's all a big con everything is the same steel and they engrave the different numbers so you know you are getting 904 ;)

Mr_B
53 minutes ago, Genius said:

Unless it's all a big con everything is the same steel and they engrave the different numbers so you know you are getting 904 ;)

Or that LOL

Intresting

Hopefully, there is honour among thieves, maybe?  :)

nivka

I opted to save the $100 and went with jf. No regrets 94db6e3f5463da41711cff7f79235d4e.jpg