Undinist

How much is too much to spend on your Grail?

Undinist

I've been secretly harbouring a desire for a gold IWC Doppel, with a white dial. They're about £9k on a strap or twice that on  a bracelet. A lot of people would say it's crazy to spend that kind of money on a mere bauble. And it would be hypocritical, because I'm always banging on about the gap between rich and poor. What are your thoughts? 

Here's the beast. 

kdeWzKZ.jpg

37od6sr.jpg

NnFXFOi.jpg

Gogab8p.jpg

FoxWilde

The hands throw me off, but it’s a nice watch. Get what you like. I’m starting to go gen myself on some LOL. 

My limit is 5K. Because most the ones I want over that are repped pretty well. But I also like vintage watches, which are pretty reasonably priced (if they’re not Rolex)

FudgyDocker

I think it looks better on a strap. On that bracelet, it's toooo much gold!

Undinist

It's a lot of cheese on the bracelet. Visible from space I would think.

Popperini

I just can’t get into IWC. It might be because their logo looks like someone said to the dial printer, “...oh, and it needs our name on it. What font? Oh, I don’t know anything about them. Times Roman? Yeah, that sounds classy - go with that.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Theviking
2 minutes ago, n0bby said:

I just can’t get into IWC. It might be because their logo looks like someone said to the dial printer, “...oh, and it needs our name on it. What font? Oh, I don’t know anything about them. Times Roman? Yeah, that sounds classy - go with that.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Agreed, but I do like the balanced design of their chronographs and that they're not so well known. The name makes them sounds cheap. I had a friend from school notice my spitfire, said 'nice watch, how much' I told him the rep price (as I was with old school friends, no point lieing) . He asked what does IWC stand for, I told him and he asked if I got it off Kickstarter. 'Sounds like a Kickstarter company' he said.

Undinist

I'm not an admirer of IWC. I don't think they've made an appealing watch since this one in '93 and the Deep One in '99. After they made this one they wrecked the look of it by shovelling pilot bits on it. I like this one because it's not too piloty, it's got a bit of that Scandi/German business look. I used to have the steel version., which is very restrained. 

brang1
1 hour ago, FudgyDocker said:

I think it looks better on a strap. On that bracelet, it's toooo much gold!

+1 

9k is not too much, i am gob smacked at what people fork out for a Sub nowadays 

porschespeedster

Buy it on a strap, use extra money to buy fun 2nd or 3rd car and take a trip.

Or maybe get a 3rd party gen gold bracelet for 500-1k

• Like 1

deju

Depends on where we set the line for grail.

If it’s never going to own but want.... Paul Newman Daytona. 

Grail for me is the watch you pine for the most at the time and would give a forever home  is  the Tudor Monte Carlo. 

Popperini

I assume this thread must be referring to a gen watch the OP is considering buying - otherwise the title would be nonsensical.

It seems an odd question to ask on a rep forum... don’t we (generally) buy reps because we either can’t afford gens, or object to their inflated prices?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Piccolo

Spend what you’re comfortable with, depends on your priorities and other needs.

I read recently that John Mayer has a collection that is over 25% of his net worth.  That’s a big number but it depends a lot on what your net worth is! 

9k is not a lot of money for a watch in the grand scheme of watches. If it feels like too much, don’t buy it.  It has to be money you are willing to lose. 

NCRich
57 minutes ago, deju said:

Depends on where we set the line for grail.

If it’s never going to own but want.... Paul Newman Daytona. 

Grail for me is the watch you pine for the most at the time and would give a forever home  is  the Tudor Monte Carlo

Hell, I spent over $1500 on the rep of that Tudor.

deju
28 minutes ago, NCRich said:

Hell, I spent over $1500 on the rep of that Tudor.

So much to love about that watch! I can believe it and parts are rare as hens teeth these days. 

I don’t see why it’s not still replicated 

steveo75

I'm not normally a fan of gold watches but that looks great on the strap! As for whether the price is "too much" that's totally personal for you. For me when I get my gen grail it'll be about having something of value to pass down in later years that isn't a house or a car and represents "me" and how hard I've worked, and to be comfortable with the expense I need to do it without compromising other family priorities. That's what dictates too much for me rather than any particular number :-) 

black263

I don't have a grail.  I've got about £10k tied up in my collection, mix of gen and rep, and between them they scratch all my itches.

• Like 1

Undinist
On 17/09/2019 at 12:15, porschespeedster said:

Buy it on a strap, use extra money to buy fun 2nd or 3rd car and take a trip. 

After a lot of thought, this post is the winner! :D  I spent £3k on a motorbike. Which inevitably led to another 2k on security and parts and so on...then 4k more on gear...so I'm down £9+k, but a motorbike can do lots  of things a watch can't, such as transport you, and release adrenaline. It even has a clock. 

judas9r
30 minutes ago, Undinist said:

After a lot of thought, this post is the winner! :D  I spent £3k on a motorbike. Which inevitably led to another 2k on security and parts and so on...then 4k more on gear...so I'm down £9+k, but a motorbike can do lots  of things a watch can't, such as transport you, and release adrenaline. It even has a clock. 

Buy the watch too. Biking opportunitys are limited but you can even wear a watch in bed. Seeing a credit is cheap ATM, get he gold strap as well.

GingerApple

:ttiwwop:

Undinist

Here's the bike - a barn find 1995 K1100RS with 3 thousand miles on the clock. 

ma2NhFr.jpg

DEQEn7Y.jpg

6wsU0b5.jpg

25 years old but to my eye it still looks quite futuristic. To go with it I bought an absurdly extravagant helmet. But this is the last place I need to justify Shiny Things!

WvspLQd.jpg

Also incoming is a made to measure BKS jacket with built-in airbag.

After that....there's a surprisingly cheap gold Doppel  at chrono24! https://www.chrono24.co.uk/iwc/doppelchronograph-18k-gold-automatik-herren-ref-3713-013-full-set--id14214595.htm

• Like 2

BravoDelta
24 minutes ago, Undinist said:

Here's the bike - a barn find 1995 K1100RS with 3 thousand miles on the clock

Very nice...You may appreciate this...my 1991 BMW K1 I owned for over 20 years until I hung up the leathers recently...

DSCN2023.jpg

• Like 1

Undinist

Ooh, I'd love one of those! Probably the most interesting exercise in production motorcycle aerodynamics there's been. I'd like to give it a bit more power somehow and see what the bodywork is really capable of.  I wonder if the K13 engine would fit? Did you find it to be a practical bike? Any issues with overheating?  Did you modify it?

BravoDelta
35 minutes ago, Undinist said:

Did you find it to be a practical bike? Any issues with overheating?  Did you modify it?

I loved the bike, but...I wouldn't consider it practical. As you can see I had it fitted with RKA soft luggage as the bike would not accommodate the excellent factory bags. Also the riding position is somewhat cramped for extended rides. And you better watch that your toes dont catch the faring lowers when coming to a stop or...:thud: Still, it was my favorite bike to ride and it got a lot of attention wherever it was parked. 

As for modifications,  no. I owned several motorcycles and always kept them stock. The only way to go for collectable models. 

Ironically,  I always wanted a red K1100RS like yours :happy:

Undinist

On balance I prefer the RS, but if I was rich I'd have both. I'm thinking about getting a K1 front mudguard for my bike  - it looks terrific. 

6WaP9tK.jpg

CSCItNE.jpg

I'm also thinking about the Harris race version of the XR1200.  By all accounts they are hilarious as a road bike.  Not super fast by current sports bike standards, but a better power to weight ratio than the RS, which is fast enough.  I've got my eye on this one:   https://ebay.us/nGEnns

gsDVEpJ.jpg

Here are some videos which sold it to me  

BravoDelta
1 hour ago, Undinist said:

getting a K1 front mudguard

That might be hard to find. Be advised that it is made of plastic. Mine had several cracks on the seam where the screws held the two halves together.