Gangan

Chinese Reps from Turkey

Gangan

I've bought several watches from China, the first being about 20 yrs ago.  It was a Yaught Master with a genuine swiss ETA mechanism which I have used often and is an excellent time keeper.   I have also sometimes bought from a dealer in Turkey who I have been friends with for around 12 years.  The last one was bought just a couple of weeks ago and is an Omega Aqua Terra.  I don't know what the mechanism is but it is made to look like an 8500.  The case, face, and bracelet are amazing though.  Finely brushed and polished as it should be, and the removable links just like the original with tiny screws each side and a push out pivot pin in between.  As a rep, it's as good as they get  The only thing is though, it cost me only £100.  I must admit that the price  for others would be  £125, but compared to prices on the Chinese dealer sites, it's a bargain.  I know he buys from a guy who travels to China every winter buying in bulk.  On Chinese watch sites, one of comparable quality would be £250+

Theviking

Show us some picks! In my experience they sell £50 DHGate reps for £100+ in Turkey. Even the special Hiden VIP stock in the back room is shit, just in a dark place. Maybe I've been going to the wrong place.

NCRich

You would be the first for whom that is true.  Apples and oranges for the most part.

Gangan
3 minutes ago, Theviking said:

Show us some picks! In my experience they sell £50 DHGate reps for £100+ in Turkey. Even the special Hiden VIP stock in the back room is shit, just in a dark place. Maybe I've been going to the wrong place.

I'm new to the forum and don't seem to be able to insert pictures.  I can assure you though that I have seen nothing better direct from China.   I also have several genuine watches, 3 Omega a Longines, and a couple of Seiko's so I know it is good.  The Turkish dealer has been a good friend for many years and in his small shop he has watches of all prices.  His best are £125-150 (£100.00 to me)  My son has been talking about a less common Tag and my friend has said that he can get watches to order over the winter.

judas9r

So what's the angle? Are you selling or just pointing out the error of our ways?

jsmm

we need to see some pictures..:bounce: try maybe imgur and copy paste the link 

deju

If you don't post pictures to back this up then this reeks of a backdoor selling attempt. 

I hope I'm wrong. 

GingerApple

You're in luck OP. As of today, we have our very own, easy to use, picture hosting site: www.clickpix.org

Gangan
10 minutes ago, judas9r said:

So what's the angle? Are you selling or just pointing out the error of our ways?

No angle.  I'm not selling, and was just wishing to contribute some food for thought on my recently joined forum.  Over the years I have bought several reps from China so any 'error in our ways' applies just as much to me.  I have around 25 wataches, some originals, many Cinese reps  The reason for my buying some direct from China is that I can choose the spec.  I've a fondness for ETA works and believe that a good case combined with such a mechanism results in a watch at least as good as branded equivalents in the UK.  I have just ordered an Explorer from Steve with Asian ETA mechanism and I chose one from the BP factory as they are said to be accurate copies.   I did not order one with a Rolex clone mechanism as I know that I can buy eta spares from Cousins in the UK and I know that the watch will spend a lot of time on my wrist in the years to come.  

Gangan
7 minutes ago, deju said:

If you don't post pictures to back this up then this reeks of a backdoor selling attempt. 

I hope I'm wrong. 

Yes, you are wrong!  I have only just joined the forum as I am a watch enthusiast.   I have never sold a watch and have never even recommended a retailer.  I hope it is possible to coment on things of interest without causing offence.  I have re-read my post and can't see what has caused such a reaction.  As far as posing pctures, I took some (jpegs) with my Tablet but they didn't seem acceptable when I tried to upload.

Gangan
17 minutes ago, TheFreckledTampon said:

You're in luck OP. As of today, we have our very own, easy to use, picture hosting site: www.clickpix.org

Sorry, I'm new to this.  How do I use click pix to upload?

jsmm
9 minutes ago, Gangan said:

go on the site, and there will be a button 'start uploading' in the centre click that and load a picture..

GingerApple
12 minutes ago, Gangan said:

Go to the site, click on upload photo, once it's uploaded, underneath the image there's a tab thing that says 'about' with an up and down arrow next to it. Click on 'about' and then click on 'embed codes'. A load of boxes pop up. The second box down is titled 'Image URL'. Copy that link and then paste it into your response directly in this thread, hit return and the image should then embed itself in your reply.

FudgyDocker

@Gangan - most of the reps in Turkish shops are certainly in the £100-£150 range, and the reps are basically shite (DHGate quality). Very few shops have the really good stuff and it can be up to  £400. But you need to know what you're looking at and not be fooled by their old patter. I've been lucky in the past, and not bought any shite.

I've known one shop owner over there for 15 years, and he tries to pass off Asian movements as Swiss ETA. After learning loads on this forum, I have no qualms about telling the guy that he is chatting shit, and will no longer go there.

Out of interest, which part of Turkey are you going to?  

Gangan
38 minutes ago, TheFreckledTampon said:

Go to the site, click on upload photo, once it's uploaded, underneath the image there's a tab thing that says 'about' with an up and down arrow next to it. Click on 'about' and then click on 'embed codes'. A load of boxes pop up. The second box down is titled 'Image URL'. Copy that link and then paste it into your response directly in this thread, hit return and the image should then embed itself in your reply.

Hope this works.  I will take some 'proper' pictures when we are back in the UK next week.  Hopefully the Explorer from Steve will be delivered by then.

https://www.clickpix.org/image/KKBv

https://www.clickpix.org/image/KhR1

https://www.clickpix.org/image/KAhj

Thanks for all your coment and help.  It's really encouraging! 

black263
7 minutes ago, Gangan said:

Hope this works.  I will take some 'proper' pictures when we are back in the UK next week.  Hopefully the Explorer from Steve will be delivered by then.

https://www.clickpix.org/image/KKBv

https://www.clickpix.org/image/KhR1

https://www.clickpix.org/image/KAhj

Thanks for all your coment and help.  It's really encouraging! 

What are we supposed to see in that third link?

rikracy

Looks decent enough!

Only rep I bought in Turkey....packed up before the end of my 2 week holiday!:blink:

Was 20 years ago though...by the looks they've moved on since then!!!:D

rikracy
5 minutes ago, black263 said:

Nice blanket!:rofl:

Edited by rikracy

GingerApple

Looks a cheapie to me. I could be wrong, but isn't the date window in totally the wrong place? And the font shocking too?

rikracy
Just now, TheFreckledTampon said:

Looks a cheapie to me. I could be wrong, but isn't the date window in totally the wrong place? And the font shocking too?

Now I've got my glasses on...yes!

Dhgate...reject?

jsmm

yep.. does look like a gate piece..40$ max maybe.. 

ive bought similar years back from Greece at £20.. guy was asking £150 + :finger:

NCRich

I don't like to criticize so I won't.  It is 2813 date window I believe.

Gangan
3 hours ago, black263 said:

It's the back of the watch.  When I get back to the UK I will be able to do some proper shots

FudgyDocker

@Gangan - Sorry to have to say this, but judging by that Aqua Terra, and ones I have that are similar, your Turkish 'mate' is selling you £50 watches for £100. The movement is worth about £15 tops, for starters.

I've seen it myself over there for 15 years. Tourists lap up Omegas, TAGs & Rolexes of that quality by the bucketful, all day long. 

RussP

Welcome to the forum.

We appear to have saved you from buying more overpriced watches from your contact.

Enjoy your stay here, there's plenty to learn.