Rolexl0ver

Sourcing parts for ETA movements

Rolexl0ver

So I have had my reps for quite a while now, and they still run smooth. But lets face it, they will break down sooner or later. The question is what to do then? I was thinking about reading up on some watchmaking guides and videos to maybe be able to do the servicing myself, as part of the hobby. However I am not sure where to get the spare parts for the movements. I found some listings for clone ETA movements on Ebay, but only sold as whole movements and not as spare parts. If I need a part, should I just buy a movement and then disect it for the part I want?

Has anyone any experience when it comes to repairing their own reps, is it even possible? In case you did, please share where you got the parts and the knowledge.

Cheers

NCRich

Movements are cheap for the most part.  Just swap them.  Those that aren't cheap are awfully difficult to work on.

If you wish to do it for the fun of it then go ahead.  Depends on your hourly rate.

Rolexl0ver
10 minutes ago, NCRich said:

Movements are cheap for the most part.  Just swap them.  Those that aren't cheap are awfully difficult to work on.

If you wish to do it for the fun of it then go ahead.  Depends on your hourly rate.

I see. Swapping movement is just like opening up the back, removing the crown stem, unscrew and pop out the movement. Pop in the new movement, fasten it with the screws, screwing in the crown stem and then sealing the watch again? 

How hard is it fixing a movement and where do I get the knowledge? I have a lot of time on my hands right now, so that is not the problem. It is more that I have no experience with watches other than wearing them. 

57 minutes ago, onzenuub said:

I see you have to make an account for the cousinsuk website, does that require me being some sort of retailer of watches?

onzenuub
4 minutes ago, Rolexl0ver said:

I see you have to make an account for the cousinsuk website, does that require me being some sort of retailer of watches?

Nope.

FudgyDocker

I have a Cousins account, and I can't repair shit! It isn't for want of trying, though. They sell ETA/Chinese/Sellita/Miyota movements and all the parts for ETA movements. You just need to remember to add 20% VAT onto all the prices you see, plus delivery.
You can only buy standard ETA movemnts though. The good, top-shelf stuff is restricted

Rolexl0ver
44 minutes ago, FudgyDocker said:

I have a Cousins account, and I can't repair shit! It isn't for want of trying, though. They sell ETA/Chinese/Sellita/Miyota movements and all the parts for ETA movements. You just need to remember to add 20% VAT onto all the prices you see, plus delivery.
You can only buy standard ETA movemnts though. The good, top-shelf stuff is restricted

So the genuine ETA movements are restricted? 

Also if I have a 2836 movement, which one on the website should I replace it with?

FudgyDocker
6 minutes ago, Rolexl0ver said:

So the genuine ETA movements are restricted? 

No, standard Gen ETAs you can buy. It's the Chronometer level ones that are restricted.
An A2836 should be replaced by an A2836. It gives you the Chinese part number at the top in the description, when you click on Chinese movements.

GingerApple
1 hour ago, Rolexl0ver said:

where do I get the knowledge?

YouTube. The Watch Repair Channel is excellent (and if you get serious, you can pay for a course they run, but the free stuff is great).

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7vSOnpUocYq0z8oiYFk0zQ

onzenuub

Contact SSteal for Finnish watchmaker courses.  :D 

HorFan

If you’re serious about learning the skills, the Time Zone watchmakers course is available to supporters of RWI in the back room of the 60th floor. Or you can access it through Ofrei’s TZ site. You can purchase ETA parts through the TZ shop which is run by Ofrei but has better pricing than Ofrei’s main site, go figure.

http://www.tztoolshop.com/page178.html

Rolexl0ver
57 minutes ago, FudgyDocker said:

No, standard Gen ETAs you can buy. It's the Chronometer level ones that are restricted.
An A2836 should be replaced by an A2836. It gives you the Chinese part number at the top in the description, when you click on Chinese movements.

I found it, on top of the page. Thank you.

Y3Ys.png

But since the Sellita SW220 is a swiss made clone of the ETA 2836, I should be able to replace the A2836 with a SW220 right?

HorFan
I found it, on top of the page. Thank you.
Y3Ys.png

But since the Sellita SW220 is a swiss made clone of the ETA 2836, I should be able to replace the A2836 with a SW220 right?

Yes

Rolexl0ver
25 minutes ago, HorFan said:

Yes

Awesome. Then when they break down I will upgrade them for the swiss clones instead of the asian ones. 

I want to thank everyone for the solid advice. 

Thanks for sharing the cousins website @onzenuub and thanks to @TheFreckledTampon for sharing the youtube channel. I will watch all the relevant videos and think about paying for the course they had.

FudgyDocker
18 minutes ago, Rolexl0ver said:

I will upgrade them for the swiss clones

A Sellita SW is not a Swiss clone. It is as good as, if not arguably better than the Swiss ETA. Depends on who you ask.

Rolexl0ver
19 minutes ago, FudgyDocker said:

A Sellita SW is not a Swiss clone. It is as good as, if not arguably better than the Swiss ETA. Depends on who you ask.

Sorry, I referred to it as a clone since that it what it says here:

YkEE.png

(Screenshot from http://www.ofrei.com/Sellita-Watch-Movement.html )

The_Proctometrist

here is a guy that has sent me a few cheap movements on DHgate I have bought several movements solely to practice taking them in and out of different pieces.  (i meant to break them) they seem to work great for the past few months but they are so cheep who cares if they break:

https://www.dhgate.com/product/45mm-khaki-feild-pioneer-automatic-a2813/405002002.html#mfavit-1-null

https://www.dhgate.com/product/high-quality-2836-2-2836-a2836-automatic/475116808.html#mfavit-2-null

https://www.dhgate.com/product/high-quality-3135-movement-automatic-mechanical/461938709.html#mfavit-3-null

f#ck eta i say