dsg2013

ST19/Lemania Movement Power Reserve

dsg2013

Hello all,

I recently acquired a speedy from Kevin with the Lemania copy movement. It's my first watch with a handwound movement and I'm not sure quite how much to wind it.

I wound it up till the crown started to spring back a little. I could've still kept going but I didn't want to break it. With a wind like this the watch worked for about 8 hours before stopping,

I'm wondering how do I know if the watch is fully wound and don't overdo potentially breaking anything. What's the standard power reserve on full wound movement.

Help is appreciated. Cheers!

DSG

FoxWilde

Give it a dozen or so winds. You’ll feel when to stop. It’ll be firm against you. It might need a cleaning. 

dsg2013
8 minutes ago, FoxWilde said:

Give it a dozen or so winds. You’ll feel when to stop. It’ll be firm against you. It might need a cleaning. 

When you say firm, hoe firm are we talking? Till I feel like I'll break something because it's "springing back" now. 

Also, cleaning on a brand new watch? Just got the watch yesterday...

FoxWilde

Firm as in the resistance you’ll feel is enough to irritate your fingers. Usually for those Lemania clones it’s 15-20. Maybe more. 

Mans yes. Remember, these are watches assembled in small shops. The movements will be dirty, and not properly cleaned/oiled. It’s a good idea especially with these chronograph movements to make sure they are in good working condition. Dry oil/dirt/lint can cause issues, including gritty and shitty winding

dsg2013

Forgive my ignorance, but any resources regarding the cleaning? Can I do it myself or needs a professional's touch?

automatico

"Forgive my ignorance, but any resources regarding the cleaning?  Can I do it myself or needs a professional's touch?"

You need to be experienced in working on complicated watches.  Chronographs are not easy to work on.

Here is a six part service video on a Venus 175 by a highly respected watch repair guy to show what is involved:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI3T-IR3AgM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n26kBi62HVs

The Seagull ST 16 and the Venus 175 are basically the same.  

I would wind it up all the way and see how it goes because the cost to service the ST 16 can exceed the value of the watch depending on who does it.  It takes 25 or 30 turns of the crown to wind the ST 16 from start to finish and it should run for 35 hours or more.

Running the center second hand/minute register when not needed is not a good idea.  The less you use the chronograph function, the better imho.  The pushers are called 'suicide buttons' for a reason.   :shoot-foot: 

Nikosaldente
12 hours ago, dsg2013 said:

When you say firm, hoe firm are we talking? Till I feel like I'll break something because it's "springing back" now. 

Also, cleaning on a brand new watch? Just got the watch yesterday...

If it's starting to "spring back" it sounds like your click spring is about to snap. 

It's a common thing with this type of movement after some years of use.

When it does snap, you're going to need to replace the click spring with a new one!

Get an assortment of click springs from Cousins and try to find one that fits:

https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/click-springs-wristwatch

I recently did it to my Moonwatch :D

You'll find what you need here:

Cheers!

7 hours ago, automatico said:

"Forgive my ignorance, but any resources regarding the cleaning?  Can I do it myself or needs a professional's touch?"

You need to be experienced in working on complicated watches.  Chronographs are not easy to work on.

Here is a six part service video on a Venus 175 by a highly respected watch repair guy to show what is involved:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EI3T-IR3AgM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n26kBi62HVs

The Seagull ST 16 and the Venus 175 are basically the same.  

I would wind it up all the way and see how it goes because the cost to service the ST 16 can exceed the value of the watch depending on who does it.  It takes 25 or 30 turns of the crown to wind the ST 16 from start to finish and it should run for 35 hours or more.

Running the center second hand/minute register when not needed is not a good idea.  The less you use the chronograph function, the better imho.  The pushers are called 'suicide buttons' for a reason.   :shoot-foot: 

Thanks for sharing the links! :thumbsup:

BadApple
12 hours ago, FoxWilde said:

NCRich

From dead empty, a ST19 requires 25-27 full rotations to reach full reserve.  The click spring is easily broken from overwinding.  You should do about 20 full rotations from empty, then 8-10 each day thereafter.  You should have about a 48 hour power reserve on a full wind.  They generally do not need cleaning and servicing when new, aside from the click spring they are a very robust movement.