Gangan

New Alpinist

BravoDelta
16 minutes ago, Intresting said:

Those have really nice dials.   @NCRich  snowflake is stunning,

Agreed, that snowflake is amazing. But they're not $400 :MoneyEyes:

k4jun
On 21/09/2019 at 14:53, Gangan said:

Guess many will already have heard the more than Rumour, Seiko are to bring out a new Alpinist in 2020!  Three dial colours, green, white, and black, 6R35 movement, display back, and one of them on a steel strap.  As for my SARB017, it is enjoying a holiday with me.

Gangan, where did you find this strap? I probably need one or two :D

RussP

This watch served as the blueprint for the Alpinist:

49194858688_7e018f2c5a_b.jpg

• Like 2

BravoDelta
15 minutes ago, RussP said:

Nice @RussP is that automatic?  39+ mm? I can't go smaller than that. 

RussP
10 minutes ago, BravoDelta said:

Nice @RussP is that automatic?  39+ mm? I can't go smaller than that. 

No, its a manual wind and approx 33mm in diameter.

Perfect for skinny wristed fellas like me.

Lorendab

My penis smells of goat shit

RussP

Payment Sent to Lorendab

Gangan
On 30/01/2020 at 09:02, RussP said:

Yes, you can see the influence of this watch on the alpinist.  It can serve both as a dress watch and a tool watch.  The textured dial looks great and is shown off by the smooth finish on the minute markings and the labelling.  Certainly a watch I would like to have in my collection.  How old is it?  

Gangan
On 30/01/2020 at 08:34, k4jun said:

Gangan, where did you find this strap? I probably need one or two :D

I bought it on Ebay about a year ago.  The standard of manufacture is not too good but the material is just right.  I have mixed views about Bond nato straps but the muted colours on this one one are just right.  As it says on the listing, the narrow red line tends to disappear when when the strap is viewed from a distance.  They can still be found on eBay.uk, try searching the item number 283689169239.  Looks good on the alpinist that so do many straps, particularly brown leather.  MID grey NATO looks good too, it brings out the colour of the compass ring.

RussP
36 minutes ago, Gangan said:

Yes, you can see the influence of this watch on the alpinist.  It can serve both as a dress watch and a tool watch.  The textured dial looks great and is shown off by the smooth finish on the minute markings and the labelling.  Certainly a watch I would like to have in my collection.  How old is it?  

@Gangan

I haven't narrowed down the date of this watch, but have it on good authority that it was made in the 1950's.

Lalex

Seiko makes such beautiful watches. I've been about to buy my second seiko, which would be my overall second watch I must admit, but then found reps and this site with all of you sick guys. 

And now I'm spending my little free time searching for watches on TDs sites. 

So my money goes to China now instead of Japan and that's all your fault. 

Gangan
39 minutes ago, RussP said:

@Gangan

I haven't narrowed down the date of this watch, but have it on good authority that it was made in the 1950's.

Well, it looks in great condition and one of those 'timeless' designs which doesn't go out of date.  I've had a number of Seiko's over the years, the first one I bought is pictured below.  I bought it new in St Helier, Jersey island in 1965.  It's still going strong despite being now in its 55th year.  Originally it was on a steel bracelet which is now long gone and the strap it is on at the moment is one I made myself.  What I think is interesting is that at the design of the watch which is very similar to some in the Grand Seiko range .  It is a 35mm hand wound  Seiko Seahorse model  and is labelled as being 'waterproof'.  It was before the trade descriptions act and nowadays, of course,  watches are given a water resistance rating but I used to swim wearing it and never had any problems.  Not worth much momentarily but is priceless to me  in memories of the 60s .IrN0j.jpg

• Like 3

BravoDelta
16 minutes ago, Gangan said:

I bought it new in St Helier, Jersey island in 1965.

I think its fantastic that you still have the watch after 55 years, a great story! And it looks to be in very nice condition too. :thumbsup:

I have a few things from 1960's but their stuffed animals. I was only a kid. :lol:

k4jun
6 hours ago, Gangan said:

I bought it on Ebay about a year ago.  The standard of manufacture is not too good but the material is just right.  I have mixed views about Bond nato straps but the muted colours on this one one are just right.  As it says on the listing, the narrow red line tends to disappear when when the strap is viewed from a distance.  They can still be found on eBay.uk, try searching the item number 283689169239.  Looks good on the alpinist that so do many straps, particularly brown leather.  MID grey NATO looks good too, it brings out the colour of the compass ring.

Cheers mate

RussP
6 hours ago, Gangan said:

Well, it looks in great condition and one of those 'timeless' designs which doesn't go out of date.  I've had a number of Seiko's over the years, the first one I bought is pictured below.  I bought it new in St Helier, Jersey island in 1965.  It's still going strong despite being now in its 55th year.  Originally it was on a steel bracelet which is now long gone and the strap it is on at the moment is one I made myself.  What I think is interesting is that at the design of the watch which is very similar to some in the Grand Seiko range .  It is a 35mm hand wound  Seiko Seahorse model  and is labelled as being 'waterproof'.  It was before the trade descriptions act and nowadays, of course,  watches are given a water resistance rating but I used to swim wearing it and never had any problems.  Not worth

1 hour ago, k4jun said:

Cheers mate

much momentarily but is priceless to me  in memories of the 60s .IrN0j.jpg

I was born in October of 1965!

You must be a Septuagenarian or dare I say it, an Octogenarian
:Applause:

Gangan
22 hours ago, RussP said:

I was born in October of 1965!

You must be a Septuagenarian or dare I say it, an Octogenarian
:Applause:

'Fraid so.  I was a teenager on holiday with my girlfriend and her parents when I bought it but I could recognise a good watch even then.  When I was younger still, I remember my mum's boss buying a gold Omega and saying how accurate it was.  That probably influenced me too as I now have three genuine Omegas (and one fake).  Being borne in '65 though means you're no spring chicken either!

Edited by Gangan

Sifu Whitey
On 21/09/2019 at 12:22, n18lld said:

You mean that filthy piece of footwear doesn’t do it for you?

WTF is stuck to it?

LMFAO!!!:rofl:

Sifu Whitey
On 22/09/2019 at 02:32, Gangan said:

Sorry about that.  I'd yust walked down from our balcony though our garden to the pool and had put the watch on my battered old pool flip-flops to keep it off the hot tiles.  The watch is my usual daily goto and has never let me down.  When I looked at it on the shoe on the floor, it seemed to illustrate what the watch was designed to be, a deceptively tough two hundred metre rated shock protected little explorer.  I have taken pristine jewellery shots in the past but this one seemed to capture some of it's character.    

Just a thought as an alternative to photographing a watch without having to place it on hot tiles... take the photo of it on your wrist.  Just thinking out loud.  :beer3:

Sifu Whitey
On 30/01/2020 at 04:02, RussP said:

The Alinist is a solid and reliable watch, and lately somewhat even sought after.  But make no mistake, in the looks department THIS will always be my preference.  Another stunning piece, RussP, and that dial pattern is to die for.

BravoDelta
18 minutes ago, Sifu Whitey said:

in the looks department

As a proud new owner of an Alpinist,  I just wanted to offer this sandal-free image of mine for comparison. :D

20200204-101256.jpg

• Like 2

RussP
44 minutes ago, Sifu Whitey said:

The Alinist is a solid and reliable watch, and lately somewhat even sought after.  But make no mistake, in the looks department THIS will always be my preference.  Another stunning piece, RussP, and that dial pattern is to die for.

Thanks for the kind words.

It's a beautifully restored piece.

Sifu Whitey

BravoDelta, absolutely beautiful.   I have seen very few green accented watches, old and new alike, that appeal to my tastes.   I love most variations of the Sub, but neither the Kermit, nor Hulk, ever appealed to me.  Your Alpinist, however, is definitely a watch I would wear.  Maybe it's the absence of a toe-cheese laden sandal as a photo backdrop that makes the difference from the OP's photo?  I dunno, but I do know your watch is very nice to look at.   

• Like 2

BravoDelta

Thank you  @Sifu Whitey I didnt plan on purchasing it. But I saw one in a video and had to have it! 

NCRich
4 hours ago, BravoDelta said:

As a proud new owner of an Alpinist,  I just wanted to offer this sandal-free image of mine for comparison. :D

20200204-101256.jpg

I want this.  Send it to me.  :lol:

• Like 2

BravoDelta
56 minutes ago, NCRich said:

I want this.  Send it to me:lol:

Ok, when I'm done with it.  :rofl: