hanski

The Gen Experience

hanski

I finally decided to treat myself to the genuine experience last weekend. But before we get to that...It all started a few months ago with that dang Speedy Reduced restoration project. After having completed it, worn it, and thoroughly enjoyed it - it just sucked me in further. I became totally obsessed with the Speedmaster line and the relationship to NASA. Once again, the heritage of it all got me. I needed to have a Speedy Pro. 

Fast-forward after a couple of months of saving, purging parts, and hunting for the right price I knew what I had to do. 

It was a Saturday evening after a long day. The kids were finally tucked away in bed and I was half-soaked after battling overtired kids in bath. But that’s okay, pretending I was walking into an AD I poured myself a glass of the closest thing to champagne in the nicest clean glass left - a local IPA in a coffee mug. Brushing aside the mess of stuffed animals on the couch I sat down in with my phone to buy a Speedmaster Pro from eLady Globalzone. I sought out the piece that was in my price range, stared at it, imagined it on my wrist, and tried really hard to determine if anything look awry. Nervously I punched in my info and took a deep sip of my drink before hitting confirm. 

Having no experience with this online store I wasn’t sure what I was getting into - but I knew the prices were great and free shipping, no sales tax, and potentially no customs was pretty nice. 

It was sent out EMS within 1 day. Arrived at my doorstep 5 days later. No customs fees at all. 

So now, in my possession is a fantastic ‘98 Speedmaster Professional 145.0022 (reference 3590.50.00). 

It’s definitely a big watch - particularly for a small-wristed fellow such as myself. 42mm case diameter, 39.7mm bezel, and 48mm lug-to-lug. It’s probably on the edge of watch size for me but I think it wears well because the lug-to-lug isn’t too long. 

The bracelet is a 1498/840 with oval links. It’s got a fair bit of stretch and the endlinks aren’t flawlessly married to the case. That’s okay with me - it’s very comfortable, sturdy, and looks good. 

Pretty psyched about this purchase. Probably won’t come off my wrist for awhile while I’m honeymooning with it. 

Cheers! 

BF5-D4-F32-52-D5-4911-8389-9-A0906-FA713

(Oh, that’s a piece of grass at 1:00, I was just outside playing with the kiddos and didn’t notice in taking the picture)

Rx4Time

Congratulations on your new pickup!  I really enjoyed your Speedmaster reduced thread.  Personally, I think the speedmaster professional is one of my most comfortable watches to wear.  Enjoy it! 

My '99 speedy says hello.....

ZMnAJ.jpg

hanski
36 minutes ago, Rx4Time said:

Congratulations on your new pickup!  I really enjoyed your Speedmaster reduced thread.  Personally, I think the speedmaster professional is one of my most comfortable watches to wear.  Enjoy it! 

My '99 speedy says hello.....

ZMnAJ.jpg

Thanks! That’s a handsome speedy you’ve got there. 

deju

One of the best watches to buy gen! 

I bought my mine online too. Get that AD experience going to the boutique to get your NATO’s

:D

Mrluwin

Congrats mate that’s a lovely watch and sounds like you got a good deal, enjoy!

VMSG

Congratulations mate!
It looks lovely and I like your writing style :)

GingerApple

:facepalm:

I didn't know elady whatever was a thing.

Now I have a Speedy sitting in my shopping cart. Or whatever it's called in Japan.

I hate you. I love your Speedy. I want one. I can't afford one. I can afford one. I can't justify one. Did I mention I hate you?

Flinnt
3 minutes ago, TheFreckledTampon said:

Yes you can get everything online now. No more street corners for me. Beware sometimes the elady isn’t the one in the pic, but if you don’t mind the occasional rando crack whore...oh, shit you’re talking watches. Forget I mentioned it. 

GingerApple

Oooh! Interesting! They have an English language site. I thought you spoke really good Japanese, but now I see you possibly don't. Did I mention I hate you?

hanski
9 hours ago, TheFreckledTampon said:

Oooh! Interesting! They have an English language site. I thought you spoke really good Japanese, but now I see you possibly don't. Did I mention I hate you?

Oh, they have a 12% off coupon for the next 7 days. Want me to send you the code? 

deju
10 hours ago, TheFreckledTampon said:

Now I have a Speedy sitting in my shopping cart. Or whatever it's called in Japan.

I hate you. I love your Speedy. I want one. I can't afford one. I can afford one. I can't justify one. Did I mention I hate you?

Buy now, justify later. 

VMSG
Buy now, justify later. 
Life hack!

Monkey_Business

So close to pulling the trigger on a 39.5mm speedy (I thought the regular one was a little too big for my tiny girlie wrists).

1 minute ago, VMSG said:
11 minutes ago, deju said:
Buy now, justify later. 

Life hack!

I can vouch for this. Bought my no-date sub this way

GingerApple
1 hour ago, hanski said:

Oh, they have a 12% off coupon for the next 7 days. Want me to send you the code? 

Thanks mate, that's really kind, but I'll pass. I actually went to impulse buy one last night, but when I went to check out, the only way to pay is via PayPal in USD - which means any savings in the purchase price are swallowed up by PayPal and their awful exchange rates and it made it basically the same GBP price as Chrono 24 (the exact one I was looking at it also of Chrono 24). Are you in the US?

34 minutes ago, deju said:

Buy now, justify later. 

I would have were it not for PayPal!!!! Want to sell your Speedy?

GingerApple
25 minutes ago, VMSG said:
36 minutes ago, deju said:
Buy now, justify later. 

Life hack!

24 minutes ago, Monkey_Business said:

So close to pulling the trigger on a 39.5mm speedy (I thought the regular one was a little too big for my tiny girlie wrists).

I can vouch for this. Bought my no-date sub this way

We're not a forum, we're just a bunch of addicts and enablers.

And I love you all!

VMSG

We're not a forum, we're just a bunch of addicts and enablers.

LOL, this is so true.
I'm browsing this eLady site for an hour now, convincing myself it is a good idea to buy my fifth watch this month...

GingerApple
12 minutes ago, VMSG said:

LOL, this is so true.
I'm browsing this eLady site for an hour now, convincing myself it is a good idea to buy my fifth watch this month...

It's a good site huh!!! Well, for those paying in USD or Yen at least. What harm could one more watch cause....

Genius
12 hours ago, TheFreckledTampon said:

Just buy it!  

1 hour ago, TheFreckledTampon said:

Thanks mate, that's really kind, but I'll pass. I actually went to impulse buy one last night, but when I went to check out, the only way to pay is via PayPal in USD - which means any savings in the purchase price are swallowed up by PayPal and their awful exchange rates and it made it basically the same GBP price as Chrono 24 (the exact one I was looking at it also of Chrono 24). Are you in the US?

I would have were it not for PayPal!!!! Want to sell your Speedy?

You can set your credit card as the funding method pay in USD and then get the credit card rate through paypal 

GingerApple
9 minutes ago, Genius said:

Just buy it!  

You can set your credit card as the funding method pay in USD and then get the credit card rate through paypal 

Enabler! Let me go and check out this PayPal situ..... could I use one of those prepaid travel cards with USD already on  It I wonder!!?! That would make it worth the punt on import duty!

Genius
8 minutes ago, TheFreckledTampon said:

Enabler! Let me go and check out this PayPal situ..... could I use one of those prepaid travel cards with USD already on  It I wonder!!?! That would make it worth the punt on import duty!

Yeah, it's just a Visa or MasterCard so can be added as a paypal funding source

GingerApple
13 minutes ago, Genius said:

Yeah, it's just a Visa or MasterCard so can be added as a paypal funding source

I shall investigate, thanks mate :thumbsup2:

deju

@TheFreckledTampon at the jap prices it’s worth the import duty gamble even after that it be under the price it flip at.

It’s easily one of the most flexible gens you’ll get, it dresses down it dresses up. Strap changes make it a totally different watch. 

I’d say it’s a must have for a collection. I mean so is a Newman but these are under £2k and great watches. No excuses it’s like 4 reps these days :lol: 

GingerApple
2 minutes ago, deju said:

@TheFreckledTampon at the jap prices it’s worth the import duty gamble even after that it be under the price it flip at.

It’s easily one of the most flexible gens you’ll get, it dresses down it dresses up. Strap changes make it a totally different watch. 

I’d say it’s a must have for a collection. I mean so is a Newman but these are under £2k and great watches. No excuses it’s like 4 reps these days :lol: 

Couldn't agree more! Don't tell my wife though...

simey83

Lovely pickup mate! One of the best. Now all it needs is a nice strap. Throw that metal thing in the bin :)

14685920185_a39cae6aa5_b.jpg

Cheers

Simey

deju
35 minutes ago, TheFreckledTampon said:

Couldn't agree more! Don't tell my wife though...

Tis but just another rep dearest :lol: