max99

Hi there current Gen Rootbeer owner looking for a Kermit

max99

Hi all, 

Looks like this forum has a great community!!!

I was lucky enough to get my hands on a brand new Rolex rootbeer (GMT-Master II) and LOVE it, however I'm looking for a daily watch so I can keep this one for special occasions.

I'm in love the Kermit ( 16610LV )  but can't fork out £14k which thye are going for on the second hand market!

Would love some advice on which is the best replica of this? Been looking through the forum a lot but a little confused on the different options!

Thanks in advance

Max

Edit to add photos:

ISs0uDT.jpg

and a short 5 sec vid of it https://streamable.com/5mb1u

Edited by max99

MAJ75

Welcome to the forum.

I'm a fellow LV  enthusiast, you have a few options.

By common consensus the best out of the box 16610LV was the TC , but unfortunately he no longer produces these. It is extremely close to the gen in almost every detail. With patience you might find someone selling one in M2M but you need to be in the right place at the right time (ask my friend @Howitzer who has just aquired a beautiful example).

Of the currently produced TD sourced versions the JF is very well done, my preference would be the model without the engraved rehaut. Depending on how anal you are about the details some people install genuine date wheels, crystals & inserts to get them nearer to the real thing.

http://www.trustytime01.cc/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_7&products_id=18206

Here is my TC LV (as any excuse is good to share a photo).

TC2.jpg

All the best in your hunt.

Howitzer

@MAJ75 is quite right, I was definitely in the right place at the right time to snag this little belter:

jnSFD.jpg
jnFWs.jpg
jnGlY.jpg

Apologies for the inferior photos! 

Having owned a JF, my TC V7 Extreme that arrived this morning is on another level  and then some, but as M says, they are common as rocking horse shit. 

Either be patient, and check the forums religiously for that lucky shot, or pick up a JF, which is a nice watch OOTB but does need to some mods to get it close to a TC. 

Welcome to the forum and happy hunting! That daily beater will soon have ten or so friends :) 

Oh, and we are going to need pics of the Root Beer or it didn’t happen! 

:ttiwwop:

SCShrek

@MAJ75 @Howitzer

That's TC snobbery right there!!!

I'm envious. :drool:....An no, buying a Ginault will NOT make me feel better.....

oh yea, gorgeous kermits too

max99

@Howitzer photo and vid added to my post at the top! Yours looks a beauty!

@MAJ75 thanks so much for the tips and yours looks so nice too! Looks like I might have to keep my eye out for one! or go for the other! The JF one does sound interesting, how noticeable are the things that make it not up to scratch?

NCRich

How noticeable?  Do you normally walk around with a loupe?  What they have cost $1k, this cost $50 8 years ago.

ppAQiev.jpg?1

The JF is better than the $50, not as good as the $1K one.  No normal human could tell the diff between the 3 of them.

GingerApple
6 minutes ago, NCRich said:

How noticeable?  Do you normally walk around with a loupe?

The date font is shocking on some JFs, utterly dreadful. And I say that as a happy owner of a JF with a decent date wheel (and even then, it's still mediocre at best - some decent numbers, but it gets ropey in the 20s). That said, I've had the JF side by side with a TC and, date font aside, there wasn't much in it imo.

Nice watch btw OP! You have very pointy-upy arm hair.

Howitzer
3 hours ago, max99 said:

ISs0uDT.jpg

Beautiful... watch looks ok too :thumbsup2:

max99
56 minutes ago, TheFreckledTampon said:

The date font is shocking on some JFs, utterly dreadful. And I say that as a happy owner of a JF with a decent date wheel (and even then, it's still mediocre at best - some decent numbers, but it gets ropey in the 20s). That said, I've had the JF side by side with a TC and, date font aside, there wasn't much in it imo.

Nice watch btw OP! You have very pointy-upy arm hair.

hahaha I thought exactly the same when I saw this photo so big! I don't normally but that was on top of a big hill in the peak district (national park) when it was stupidly windy and freezing! I am in fact in my gf's jacket as I'd only gone out in a t-shirt, ran up to the top of here for the view then i thought i'd take a quick photo of it! 

:bananarider:

GingerApple
33 minutes ago, max99 said:

hahaha I thought exactly the same when I saw this photo so big! I don't normally but that was on top of a big hill in the peak district (national park) when it was stupidly windy and freezing! I am in fact in my gf's jacket as I'd only gone out in a t-shirt, ran up to the top of here for the view then i thought i'd take a quick photo of it! 

:bananarider:

If you're still oop north, you're in luck! All your dreams come true; this weekend, it's the Northern Monkeys G2G!!!! You can take your Gen and make the oiks with their crappy reps jealous:

Or just go and have a beer with some splendid chaps and try on a load of lovely reps.

max99
11 hours ago, TheFreckledTampon said:

If you're still oop north, you're in luck! All your dreams come true; this weekend, it's the Northern Monkeys G2G!!!! You can take your Gen and make the oiks with their crappy reps jealous:

Or just go and have a beer with some splendid chaps and try on a load of lovely reps.

I'm London based but from up north so back quite a bit, theres a small potential of me to be back this weekend so if I am will look into this so thanks for the heads up!!