onzenuub

Wearing a watch in France

onzenuub

A Japanese man who stepped out of his Paris hotel for a cigarette was robbed of his US$840,000 (RM3.5 million) Swiss watch by a thief who snatched it off his wrist, police sources said Tuesday. The 30-year-old victim was approached outside the five-star Hotel Napoleon near the Arc de Triomphe late Monday by a man who asked for a cigarette. The thief then grabbed the man’s arm and fled with the rare Richard Mille timepiece, a Tourbillon Diamond Twister estimated to cost some 770,000 euros.

https://www.richardmille.com/collections/rm-51-02-tourbillon-diamond-twister

Abe Fromen

If you can afford and $840,000 watch at 30 years old, you can afford to replace said watch. 

Next! 

deju
9 minutes ago, Abe Fromen said:

If you can afford and $840,000 watch at 30 years old, you can afford to replace said watch. 

Next! 

Not the right attitude, rich poor or Ginger we all work for what we have and have the right to not have it taken off us. 

Abe Fromen
6 minutes ago, deju said:

Not the right attitude, rich poor or Ginger we all work for what we have and have the right to not have it taken off us. 

Not Gingie.. me! 

You're not wrong, btw... but it never ceases to amaze me how people buy garish, loud bling, wear it in public and then wow... it gets stolen. Imagine that. 

People suck. that's a constant in life. 

Genius

If you are stood in a city centre on your own waving over a half million dollars around you are pretty stupid

Glaude

It's been a big issue recently, there's an article about a watch theft in Paris every week almost

narikaa

Three quarters of a mil euroscopes on a kettle and can't afford a pistol

Adit

If I were the thief I would firstly have asked the said Japanese if he would mind awfully accompanying me to the nearest TD for verification, before risking jail time. After all. there are some jolly good replicas out there, apparently

The_Proctometrist
10 hours ago, Adit said:

lol, i don't know why people think they can fool the police.  police are are constantly being trained in the most up to date questioning techniques, including how to lie to suspects to get them to confess.  they have to do what they have to do to get the bad guys.  best advice-say little or nothing at all and never elaborate.  

RussP
On 09/10/2019 at 04:15, Abe Fromen said:

Next! 

If you wear RM you deserve to be mugged :happy:

The_Proctometrist

i can't help but feel sorry for the guy, it shouldn't happen to anyone.  i  wonder how the thief thought to take it in the first place.  these days when people are mugged it's for their phones and of course their wallets, not so much watches anymore. muggers always go for a sure thing.   how did the perp get a close enough look at the watch to know to take it?  did the the perp see this victim in a bar or restaurant, was it his waiter or a hotel employee?

roberto

That'll be the easiest 500 euros the thief ever makes...

GenTLe

It would be interesting to see how they are going to resell a "hot" rare thing like a RM ... They can't put it out online...

RussP
35 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

It would be interesting to see how they are going to resell a "hot" rare thing like a RM ... They can't put it out online...

RWG's M2M?

Jibuti
1 hour ago, RussP said:

If you wear RM you deserve to be mugged :happy:

Agree.... especially with look of THAT RM...! :)

Jibuti
4 minutes ago, RussP said:

RWG's M2M?

SSteel will probably buy it, mod it and sell it for 1.2 mio then.... Of course, watch will be lost in transit, as usual....

Intresting

Some Factory probably got it to try and make a 1:1 clone....

Adit
9 hours ago, RussP said:

RWG's M2M?

:clap:

vonn91

Morale of the story: Paris has become another shithole thanks to people from shithole places. Been there enough times to avoid the city like a pest.

The_Proctometrist

really? i like it there.  so much to do and so many cops out and about.  you can't swing a cat without hitting one. that fellow was just stupid....

Khronos
14 hours ago, vonn91 said:

Morale of the story: Paris has become another shithole thanks to people from shithole places. Been there enough times to avoid the city like a pest.

Sad but true... 

The_Proctometrist

imbéciles! paris est la capitale du monde et nous ne volerons que les montres d'idiots qui ne parlent pas français...

Glaude
On 11/10/2019 at 17:44, vonn91 said:

Paris is just a capital city, one of the most visited in the world, especially liked by Asian tourist, Asian tourist that are known to sports luxury goods and are drawn to them and that are usually too focused on their visit than their security. There's no other explanation than that.

I don't know who are the people from shithole place you are referring to, but those watch theft are french "gang" born and bred

19 hours ago, ballandbiscuit said:

imbéciles! paris est la capitale du monde et nous ne volerons que les montres d'idiots qui ne parlent pas français...

English only, thanks

vonn91

I’m referring to:

a) seemingly Bulgarian/Romanian people who do a lot of trick-pickpocketing, nearly been a victim once or twice, but they are the same in every bigger European city

b) the guys around sacre coeur who try to sell you any tourist-related stuff to then rob you.

c) gangs, often from the banlieus, dominated by people from any place that once was a french colony, especially Maghrebiens, who are rather „high profile“ orientated. Same especially in London where they appear to use stolen scooters as preferred method of transport.

The Chinese people are often careless about the luxury because they are in the false impression western cities would be secure as they often don’t need this type of security in their hometowns.

But this is getting off track.

Reason number one to never wear a expensive gen when traveling.