FudgyDocker

NOT a complete disaster - for once!

FudgyDocker

Well, I opened my Gen watch box the other day, to put away a watch. I had got a 5mm scratch on the mineral crystal on my Ingersoll a few days before (which really pissed me off), only I found THIS instead!

G0Cn.md.jpg

After trawling through loads of websites looking for a replacement, I came up empty. It appears that you can only send these back to a service centre and pay some ridiculous cost to get it replaced.

Left the watch disassembled, as the existing crystal didn't come out as I had intended.

Ze36K.md.jpg

This meant that I couldn't exactly measure the old crystal correctly to size up for a new one. So I used the calipers to measure internally between the gasket, and round up to the nearest half mm. So I did a bit of hunting and eventually decided on a CousinsUK domed mineral crystal instead, for the princely sum of £2.50+VAT & delivery. Knowing my track record on attempted repairs, I bought two as "I'm bound to fuck up the first one". Also ordered a £10 crystal press from Amazon. 

Crystals arrived yesterday, so I unpacked them and inserted the first crystal as much as I could by hand & eye, selected the most suitable press adapters, after watching various YouTube videos on how to do it, and gently pressed it home with a satisfying click. Fuck me, FIRST TIME!
Replaced the dial & movement assembly and braced myself for reinserting the stem. My track record on these is also not good, about 50% success. Gently pushed it in and felt a little resistance, so pushed gently on the release button and slowly rotated back and forth. Bingo! It slid in :)

Here is the end result. Not a big deal for some here, who can breakdown and reassemble a movement in their sleep, but from my point of view a huge confidence boost and a real sense of achievement. It isn't quite how it was originally, but looks pretty bloody reasonable.

j8lPc.md.jpg

BadApple

Is that fingerprint on the underside of the crystal ?? :D

dsg2013
2 minutes ago, Badapple said:

Is that fingerprint on the underside of the crystal ?? :D

Looks lime "micro"-dust. Like putting a screen protector on the phone every damn time!!

FudgyDocker
6 minutes ago, Badapple said:

Is that fingerprint on the underside of the crystal

Bastard! You made me zoom in and look, as well! The dust is on the outside, luckily. However, the scratches on the insert at 10 & 11 are real. That's for another day. I can live with them for now. 

elp
26 minutes ago, FudgyDocker said:

Gently pushed it in and felt a little resistance, so pushed gently on the release button and slowly rotated back and forth. Bingo! It slid in :)

Well done, thanks for the tip  :)

GingerApple

Xtal's upside down. That aside, good work.

FudgyDocker
13 minutes ago, TheFreckledTampon said:

Xtal's upside down.

I flipped it over, and now the canon pinion has snapped off and hands rattle around inside. FFS!

GingerApple
8 minutes ago, FudgyDocker said:

I flipped it over, and now the canon pinion has snapped off and hands rattle around inside. FFS!

I only meant it needed rotating through 90 degrees....

FudgyDocker
1 minute ago, TheFreckledTampon said:

I only meant it needed rotating through 90 degrees....

How does "upside down" translate to "rotate through 90°"? It's ruined now....

Abe Fromen
38 minutes ago, elp said:

Well done, thanks for the tip  :)

Just the tip? LOL

NCRich

:clap:

Nikosaldente

Well done mate!

Thanks for sharing!

n18lld

Jammy bastard. Congrats

BadPickle

£2.50 for the crystal? i think you've just doubled the value of the watch now

GenTLe

Well done, I killed my seven Friday glass once before finally put the second one in... At 30$ each as the only available one from Ali had that price :/

FudgyDocker
2 hours ago, pickledbeetroot said:

£2.50 for the crystal? i think you've just doubled the value of the watch now

Ouch, that's a wee bit harsh!