Dr Fun Socks

How to thin your royal oak

Glaude
4 hours ago, Drfunsocks said:

So people on rwi have suggested i make this available to people, im not happy risking risking peoples $400 watches so im thinking ill get a load of case backs, machine them down and sell those instead. If anyone is interested shoot me a pm. Raddave was ok with offering this on rwi but if any mods here are unhappy let me know and i wont be offering it here!

As long as you make a sale post about it and that doesn't become a regular business, that should be okay, send a PM to @trailboss99 about it to double check

Dr Fun Socks
1 hour ago, Glaude said:

As long as you make a sale post about it and that doesn't become a regular business, that should be okay, send a PM to @trailboss99 about it to double check

Good call man, I've sent him a message!

Nikosaldente

WoW!

What an effort!

Thanks for sharing and for your patience!

Well done :clap:

Dr Fun Socks

Got the green light from the boss, now just to find some case backs :)

Dr Fun Socks

So to anyone who is interested, I've heard back from intime and they want $88 per case back! Also i can only order one at a time so i have to add in postage and fees on top of that. Might be a case of one in one out at those prices. If there is enough interest ill bite the bullet and buy one to have as an ‘in stock’ item but i will need your case backs in return unless you want to add at least $88 to the cost price. Shoot me a pm if your interested.

Genius
11 minutes ago, Drfunsocks said:

I've heard back from intime and they want $88 per case back!

Try with Toro and Mary both seem to be better at sourcing spares than the other dealers

Dr Fun Socks
27 minutes ago, Genius said:

Try with Toro and Mary both seem to be better at sourcing spares than the other dealers

Thanks mate, ive already tried mary, again only one at a time but she didnt give me a price. Ill try toro now. 

Dr Fun Socks

Ok so toro is knocking them out at $50 a piece so ive ordered 4. God knows how long that will take to come but as of now the price will be £100 for the work if you return your case back to me, and £150 if you want to keep both your case back and the one i machine down. 

GingerApple

What tools do you need to remove the caseback? Is it just normal screwdrivers or (as I seem to recall)  is a weirdly shaped, unique screwdriver needed too?

Dr Fun Socks
1 minute ago, TheGingerFerret said:

What tools do you need to remove the caseback? Is it just normal screwdrivers or (as I seem to recall)  is a weirdly shaped, unique screwdriver needed too?

Just a normal screw driver mate. Try to make sure its the right size obviously but nothing special needed. Im happy if you would prefer to send the whole watch, i can even water resistant test it. I got 6bar out of mine with a thinner crystal on the back so no reason it wouldn’t pass. 

GingerApple

That's an added bonus, ta!

I'll let you know. I may just try it myself, how hard can it be.....

zLh5c.jpg

Dr Fun Socks
3 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

That's an added bonus, ta!

I'll let you know. I may just try it myself, how hard can it be.....

zLh5c.jpg

Mate if you can photo shop that you’ll be fine. Its 8 screws, just dont bloody lose them! Only issue you could run into when re fitting is if any of the bezel nuts on the back of the bezel screws (the case back ones dont hold them in) are loose they may contact the case back screw and prevent it going all the way in. I only know this because it happened to me. But i had mikeys little titanium ap nut tools :)

semperfi55

@Drfunsocks

Sorry have been busy and off the forum for some time, thanks for the tag, otherwise I would have missed this!

That’s some brilliant modding work there, Royal Oak expert! ;) 

Dr Fun Socks
2 hours ago, semperfi55 said:

@Drfunsocks

Sorry have been busy and off the forum for some time, thanks for the tag, otherwise I would have missed this!

That’s some brilliant modding work there, Royal Oak expert! ;) 

Thanks mate! Ill leave expert status to legend over on rwi. I think he’s got more gen ap’s than i do reps, and he’s still messing around making reps better! But i do have a workshop and a load of tool making experience so this is very much in my comfort zone :)

Dr Fun Socks

Just as an update, I’ve  received some case backs from so I’m  good to go with the project. If any one is interested send me a pm. 

• Like 1

Swiss_goupil

Will it work on a ROO 44mm? Mine is CF midcase but SS see through caseback...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GenTLe
23 minutes ago, Swiss_goupil said:

Will it work on a ROO 44mm? Mine is CF midcase but SS see through caseback...

I doubt if not putting in a gen movement. The 7750 inside is already very near to the glass (I've one where the rotor touches the crystal due to a not perfect rotor bearing... You can imagine...).

Swiss_goupil
I doubt if not putting in a gen movement. The 7750 inside is already very near to the glass (I've one where the rotor touches the crystal due to a not perfect rotor bearing... You can imagine...).

I guess we could remove the deco plates. Will we be able to create space then? I really need to take apart on of my ROO

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

GenTLe
1 hour ago, Swiss_goupil said:

I guess we could remove the deco plates. Will we be able to create space then? I really need to take apart on of my ROO

No idea, no point to me. Anyway there was a watchmaker in Germany, an Italian origin guy, that was doing these kind of mods, but I don't remember his name now... Domi probably.  This guy: https://forum.replica-watch.info/forum/domi-s-corner/48958-introducing-our-new-watch-modder-domenico

Try to ask him, but don't expect cheap labor, he is a professional.

FunnyStarSystem

Good gash that was solidly entertaining! And I'm not even interested in ROO's in the slightest!

"Ive gone for (a rather ambitious) 0.1mm clearance after thinning. Why clearance, you could be 0.1mm closer to gen? Well the rotor wont spin then dummy!"

:rofl: