Bear16

Asian 23J Winding Problem

Bear16

Hi Fam, 

This is is my first post and I hope you guys can help me. 

I purchased a Hublot automatic watch with an Asian 23J (https://kuvarsit06.com/hublot-classic-fusion-skeleton.-45mm.-ss-gray/) less than a month ago. After wearing it for a week, I determined that the strap was not comfortable enough to be a daily watch so I would have it be my weekend watch.  

When I first got it, I remember the crown being a little stiff when turning it clockwise to wind it. I also remember during that first week while wearing it, I was turning the crown and noticed that it got much smoother, meaning there wasn’t as much stiffness when turning it clockwise. After the first week I put the watch away for a few days then when I took it back out the time stopped which is what I expected. So I started winding it again (at least 20-30 times) and it worked. However, I noticed that the watch would die out on my wrist quite often within a couple of hours. I would sit and turn the crown clockwise many many times and still it wouldn’t last a day. I finally noticed by turning the watch around that it looks as though as I turn the crown that the shaft is suppose to turn the circular components but it’s not. The shaft just turns. Every now and then if I turn the crown very very slowly the circular parts would move just a little but then the threading would not stick and the shaft of the crown would just continue turning. Now, If I wind the crown, the watch wouldn’t start on its own. It’s only when I shake it is when it starts. Can you tell me your thoughts on the issue? What are your thoughts?

zY2Qk.jpg

zYoxR.jpg zYIW8.jpg

Edited by Bear16

NCRich

It sounds like a keyless issue.  The keyless maintains tension so that the gears can engage.  If you don't have the tension then the gears don't mesh and it doesn't wind.

Bear16

Is that a simple fix or is that a complicated fix? Thanks for your reply! 

NCRich

Simple in theory, maybe not so much in practice.  The movement in the watch you have has been modified to look like that.  I don't know what would have to be done to access the keyless. 

Bear16

I took the watch to a watch repair shop last night. The guy took apart the watch and pretty much there was a mechanism that was part of the winding that’s about 1 mm and straight that broke in half. The watch guy suggested I put in a new movement. I guess the alternative would be to ask the TD for that one broken item. The watch repair guy said a quartz movement is very low maintenance and offered to sell me an MK watch he had for $100 that had a quartz movement inside. He would take the quartz movement and install it for me. However, I would have no use for the rest of the MK watch. I would like to get a new movement for this watch but am not sure what non chrono quartz or automatic movement would fit in it.

Do all movements fit in all watches? Do you have any suggestions on movements that are good value (doesn’t need to be the cheapest but doesn’t need to be the most expensive) that can be fixed/maintained easily? 

Thank you for your help!