processengr

Crystal lift tool for plexis-any good?

processengr

Hi all,

So I want to replace the plexis on both my Cartel vintage daytona and a Omega FOIS vintage with say a Clark T21 and a ? more domed look crystal.

i see these inexpensive "crystal lift" tools that look like Freddy Kruger fingers on Ebay/Amazon $12-$15...

Any good? Supposedly you compress and lift off old crystal, compress and install new crystal...

BC1221

Most plexi on reps just pop off if you wedge off the tension ring, which you can do with a razor blade without damaging anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCRich

You don't need a crystal lift tool.  Tutorials have that in them.

BC1221
Hi [mention=10171]NCRich[/mention]The tool https://www.esslinger.com/watch-crystal-remover-and-inserter-crystal-lift-tool/
claims to be able to remove & replace a plexi crystal without removing movement or even opening the watch.

That’s a watch crystal removal tool. Crystals are much harder to take off than plexis. Crystals usually have to be pushed out from the inside. What that tool does is lift the retaining ring off of the crystal so you can pop the crystal off from the front. Plexis do not need that. You can easily remove the retaining ring from the front of the watch with a razor.

All you need to do is get the bezel off, which you can do with the same method. You can pop it off with your hands if you’re careful and not pull too hard on one spot. Just be sure work your hands around the bezel until it pops off. Hell, the retaining ring pops off with it sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NCRich
2 hours ago, processengr said:

Hi @NCRichThe tool https://www.esslinger.com/watch-crystal-remover-and-inserter-crystal-lift-tool/

claims to be able to remove & replace a plexi crystal without removing movement or even opening the watch.

I own that tool.  Its great for taking plexis off timex or similar.  Not Subs.  Look at the tutorial.

processengr

Thanks! Saved some $$$