Steve53

IWC Portuguese Annual Calendar -ZF version - some photos

Steve53

So I bought this IWC Portuguese Annual Calendar made by ZF.  44mm diameter and 15mm thick.

3ZuSD.jpg

3ZsCY.jpg

This photo gives a better view of the hands. The hands are the same colour as the hour digits. (Oh yes, my photo skills needs improvement.)

3ZMis.jpg

The trusted dealer wrote  this make/model sometimes has a problem with bad centering of the month/date/day. Looks pretty good to me. Date is maybe a smidgen low.  The date wheel starts to move at 10.30 pm  and snaps into place two minutes after midnight. Whoever set the hands did a good job. The day falls into place 15 minutes after midnight.

3Zwc3.jpg

The power reserve on this replica is 3 days and 10 hours. Not as good as genuine (which I assume is 7 days?) but impressive nevertheless.

3Zkwn.jpg

Printing looks pretty crisp.

3ZdYE.jpg

Base movement apparently is a A23J and the rotor winds in both directions.

3ZX32.jpg

7.5 mm crown feels really good to wind. I like winding watches. Crazy, huh ?

3ZP7t.jpg

Hard to tell in this photo but the sapphire crystal is slightly convex.

3ZC8F.jpg

3ZpL5.jpg

Occasionally when winding, the rotor will turn. The first watch-smith I contacted said even genuine watches do that. He did not want to touch it. The second watch-smith took the case back off. He could not figure out how to access the reversing wheels. Something about decorative cover plates he did not understand. So I will leave well enough alone and rely om wrist motion.

3ZQGp.jpg

3Z6kc.jpg

As received the watch had a beat error of 0.3 and ran 10 seconds fast. Pretty good. After regulating it now varies plus/minus 3 seconds, depending on position. Real good.

3Z9z4.jpg

3Zy7j.jpg

3ZY81.jpg

Somewhat unusual is the bent spring bars.

3ZOAv.jpg

3ZqGK.jpg

The supplied strap (125mm-62mm) is about 5/8" (16mm) too short for my 8" (200mm) wrist. A longer one will be sourced. The strap goes from 22mm at the watch to 18mm at the buckle. Will the rose plating last? Time will tell. For $428 + 30 shipping, overall I am very happy with the watch.

--------------

Postscript:  Prior to joining this forum, the IWC brand of watches was unknown to me. Then this impressive review was posted by forum member/technical administrator Glaude:

Very informative with lots of facts and  brand history. However, I was not too keen on the 7750 movement and in no need of a stop watch. So therefor ended up buying this Portuguese annual calendar. Note to self: Stop reading watch reviews. It can be expensive.

• Like 1

Fulvio_61

Great watch and great photos, too!

FoxWilde

Great review mate. I was always curious about the calendar reps..

Glaude

Nice review and good pictures ! Thanks for taking the time !

I like that they managed to nail the calendar complication on this IWC, wish they could do the same on the Patek Annual calendar and not use a stupid mini cyclop at the center date window !