FudgyDocker

Rare Vacheron Constantin Replica

FudgyDocker

VACHERON CONSTANTIN - MÉTIERS D'ART VILLES LUMIÈRES - GENÈVE

Before I talk about the replica, here's a little about the gen. to give you some background. I'm sure that the French contingent on this forum will correct me if I'm wrong, but my 'O' Level French tells me that this translates to 'Arts and Crafts City Lights'. I haven't been able to find even a passing mention of this watch either on this forum, or RWI so thought I would make a modicum of effort on it.

HEuAX.md.jpg HEv8i.md.jpg

The Métiers d’Art collection was created by VC to depict famous cities in their nocturnal panorama, namely Paris, New York and Geneva. Later iterations of the watch added Beijing to the list. The genuine watch was created by VC in extremely limited numbers. 20 watches per city were produced and only sold in VC boutiques worldwide. Due to the production process, each watch took approximately 3 months to create. It combines two artisan arts. Grand Feu champlevé enamelling, by the VC master enameller and hand-applied precious powders

Grand Feu champlevé enamelling
For each of the dials, the Vacheron Constantin master enameller first examined the possibilities afforded by champlevé in order to highlight the shapes of the streets, gardens and stretches of water. After hollowing out the gold dial by hand according to the chosen outlines, he then applied successive layers of translucent coloured enamels. Between each coating, the dial is fired at the extremely high temperature of 850°C. These crucial and delicate stages, masterfully guided by intuition and governed by stringent discipline acquired over time, enable the powdered glass mixed with colouring oxides to be melted, transformed and then vitrified by cooling – with the inevitable risk that the dial may crack or flaws may form. In the Métiers d’Art Villes Lumières collection, the master enameller has taken up the additional challenge of composing subtly translucent and dark shades in order to reproduce the singular night-time atmosphere.

Luminous rain

Vacheron Constantin invited the Japanese artist Yoko Imai to associate her art with that of the enamelling artisan. Trained by the great Japanese masters, she has developed her own artistic technique: a calligraphy-inspired painting on canvas, inspired by precious powder. For Vacheron Constantin, she has for the first time adapted this process to the enamel of a watch dial, while creating a fascinating chiaroscuro effect. To ensure a faithful transcription of the city lights, her deft hands are guided by absolute mastery, unwavering concentration and special sensitivity. requiring a particular form of concentration and sensitivity.

The technique of applying precious powders borrows a fundamental principle from the art of calligraphy: the quest for balance and purity. Using a thin stylus, the powder particles are individually affixed using a technique that remains a jealously guarded secret. The luminous magic of the completed tableau depends on this extremely rigorous approach: each fragment is perfectly positioned in its rightful place and there is no room for anything random or superfluous.

Each of the powder specks is thus chosen according to its size and its shimmer, then worked on from several angles and with various types of light, so as to ensure enhanced radiance and realism. First of all, tiny gold grains form the luminous backdrop. Then diamond and platinum powder are successively applied to create shiny and dark effects, punctuated by pearl spangles. Their varying brightness makes it possible to adjust the direction and size of the luminescent areas, in order to infuse the dial with life and warmth. On the enamel base, between the raised gold ridges, tens of thousands of spangles shine in the light. The particles of precious powder, all of varying shades and degree of luminosity, interact both amongst themselves and with the dark shades of the Grand Feu enamelled background. The radiance of the composition is more intense in the dial centre and gradually softens towards the outer edges of the dial. Hand-crafted during more than three months and born from a mingling of artistic crafts, each dial is truly unique. A magnifying glass provided in the presentation box of the timepiece provides a chance to admire the workmanship in all its glorious detail.

Movement

The watch is driven by VC's own 26.2mm x 3.6mm 2460 SC calibre. Comprising of 27 jewels,  and 182 individual components, it runs at 28,800 vph with a 40 hour PR. There is an exhibition case back showing off the 22k gold decorated rotor. Everything is enclosed in an 18k white gold 40mm case. The whole assembly is 8.9mm thick, roughly the same as a Patek Nautilus.

All of this equates to a price tag of €108,000 !

The Replica

As mentioned previously, I haven't been able to find any detail on this rep on the internet, let alone any fora in existence. This brings me to the understandable conclusion that this is probably a prototype rep that never really made it out there in any kind of numbers. The dial doesn't stand up to scrutiny on a zoom-in either, although it looks perfectly fine on the wrist. There are a couple of glaring mistakes on it, although they are on the back of the case.  The first is the word 'Paris' on the back. This is a scene of Geneva. The other one is on the movement. It is engraved as 2450, although it is supposed to look like the 2460 SC. Apart from that, it seems to be pretty accurate. Specs that I know are as follows.

Case: 40mm Polished Stainless Steel
Thickness: 10.5mm 
Strap: Aligator embossed leather
Movement: Miyota 9015 decorated to look like VC 2460 SC
Crystal: Sapphire front and back

Pics

HE7vb.md.jpg HENzp.md.jpg

HEfkF.md.jpg HERY5.md.jpg

• Like 1

Mendes458

very interesting and a nice write up

Thanks

Intresting

Thanks mate.  Another erudite article to add to the annals of RWG.   :clap:

Glaude

Very nice write up, but If I understand it right, you don't have the watch in hand right now right ?

11 hours ago, FudgyDocker said:

correct me if I'm wrong, but my 'O' Level French tells me that this translates to 'Arts and Crafts City Lights'

It's right, but you wouldn't really translate it like that, "Métier D'Art" wouldn't be translated but left like that, as it depict some very specific craftsmanship used in the watch industry, we are closer to a "Artistic craftsmanship".

Same goes for "Villes lumières" which is referring to an historic appellation of Paris, closest translation would be "City of lights"

FudgyDocker
9 hours ago, Glaude said:

Very nice write up, but If I understand it right, you don't have the watch in hand right now right ?

Yes I do, the 4 pictures of my one are at the bottom of the write-up. 

Glaude
3 hours ago, FudgyDocker said:

Yes I do, the 4 pictures of my one are at the bottom of the write-up. 

I wasn't sure since you said there was no info on the rep, but that's very good, glad to see someone going for a little different watch than the usual we see ! 

Post a wristshot !

FudgyDocker
1 hour ago, Glaude said:

Post a wristshot !

Looks like the AR on it is absolute shite. Hard to get a shot of it outdoors, without the reflection of the sky on it! Could probably do with a decent crystal on it. It's flat, so shouldn't be difficult to get one.

Except the Vacheron Constantin is on the crystal itself! So maybe not... :Doh:

HJBoi.jpg  

Glaude

Still looks nice to me !

FunnyStarSystem

I adore how the NY version has Newtown Creek proudly outlined in 18k gold. Newtown Creek forms a border of Brooklyn and Queens, was once declared "the most polluted waterway in America" and was a favored body dumping location for the mafia in the 40's, 50's and 60's.  You've come a long way kid!

vacheron-constantin-metiers-d-art-villes

Paris one is the prettiest though. This is one of those luxury items which walks a fine line of art & schlock.

vacheron_5013353.jpg

The Beijing one just looks like a CPU

Vacheron-Constantin-M%C3%A9tiers-D%E2%80

Fun post, thanks for re-sharing on your sales thread!

BadApple

Do they do one with a map of Bradford on it???

Gaz1a

Unreal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zarbus

Wow... It's an old thread that had just resurfaced but thanks!

I did not know about this rep, but I also never have heard about the Gen before!

Vacheron written directly on the crystal is definitely a no go for me (and it's not only a rep thing... Even for gens like that IWC that has text on the caseback's crystal, any text on any crystal is a big turn off for me)

eI6vfyuEz6ovUts3z6VTmJQUk5pdRz_YFOgbeZ3m

But thanks for enlightening us with this Métiers d'Art Villes Lumières VC :) 

purplehaze89

Are these still available I wonder?

FudgyDocker
22 hours ago, purplehaze89 said:

Are these still available I wonder?

I didn't even know my one existed. Never seen another one anywhere, even on a review. I think it must've been a prototype of sorts. Came from an ex-TD's personal stash.

Rare as rocking horse shit.