Cigarlvr313

My First Watch Build

GingerApple

For the record, I managed to get one of these off using brute force! Ha!!!!!

I couldn't get it back on though so I just glued it :facepalm:

Towerhand
14 minutes ago, Nikosaldente said:

I encountered the same problem with my Tempus Machina....

No matter how hard I tried or what tool I  used, the Bezel wouldn't budge...

The reason was the situation that n0bby described...

Remove the insert and Underneath it you'll find an octagonal spring holding the Bezel into place.

Yours  since it's a vintage case, might have a different click spring than the new Ceramic cases.

Check out the photos for reference:

Removal of the insert and what's underneath:

20190907-171401.jpg

Try to pry it out with a pair of tweezers or a small screwdriver:
20190907-202215.jpg

After that, you simply lift it off..Don't lose the click spring!

That 2 little balls are balls of lint stuck between the click spring and the Bezel making it bidirectional and not unidirectional...
20190907-202512.jpg

Click spring in place and case cleaned :D
20190907-202524.jpg

Finished:

20191010-135103.jpg

There it is!

SCShrek
9 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

For the record, I managed to get one of these off using brute force! Ha!!!!!

I couldn't get it back on though so I just glued it :facepalm:

Hammer and chisel?

GingerApple
39 minutes ago, SCShrek said:

Hammer and chisel?

Pretty much. Don't forget the blood.

Cigarlvr313

The thing is so tight and the edge is so sharp it's almost "dangerous" to try to rotate it. I mean it will turn but not easily.........

Popperini
10 hours ago, Nikosaldente said:

I encountered the same problem with my Tempus Machina....

Excellent, thanks for adding the superbly illustrated guide Nikos. Completely by coincidence, the first time I encountered this problem was on... a Tempus Machina! I had NO idea why the bezel wouldn't budge, and ended up denting the case while attempting to force the bezel off with a case knife, and a big hammer... I eventually found the info about the spring clip online and after that the whole thing was a breeze... 

@Cigarlvr313 Don't give up on the bezel yet! Your insert will come out easily enough with gentle persuasion around its edges (they're only held in place with little dots of glue or bits of double sided tape) - I've even managed to prise out ceramic inserts using a scalpel. You just need to take your time and go carefully (says the bloke who tried to do his with a hammer). And if you're planning to replace it you don't have to worry about scratching it a bit. 

Cigarlvr313

I'm not sure now if my new bezel will work with that style. I think that for now I will either just leave it as is or possibly take it apart and see if I can get it to function a little easier. I ran the movement over night and everything seems to be working pretty well. I'm about to the point where I will be setting the movement into the case.........unfortunately it looks like I'm missing some parts. I don't seem to have any casing clamps or screws. I'm posting a pic of my remaining parts as well as pics of the movement with arrows pointing at where I believe the clamps and screws should go. Am I correct? Can I buy replacement clamps and screws? 

h5mHS.jpg h5aNW.jpg h5WtP.jpg

Cigarlvr313

Looks like a lifetime supply for a full time watchmaker! Thanks...........

Nikosaldente
Just now, Cigarlvr313 said:

Looks like a lifetime supply for a full time watchmaker! Thanks...........

You're welcome buddy ;)

Cigarlvr313

Clamps are ordered......waiting game now. I put the "GMT" movement into the case for safekeeping and I will still need to cut the stem.

h5s9n.jpg

I think this might be a good time to explore the reason why the stem pulled out of my "6205" Rep. The watch still runs and I can put the stem back in but I cant set the time anymore. Is that a keyless works issue?

NCRich
14 minutes ago, Cigarlvr313 said:

Clamps are ordered......waiting game now. I put the "GMT" movement into the case for safekeeping and I will still need to cut the stem.

h5s9n.jpg

I think this might be a good time to explore the reason why the stem pulled out of my "6205" Rep. The watch still runs and I can put the stem back in but I cant set the time anymore. Is that a keyless works issue?

Yep.  You need to reset the keyless.

wumbologist

great build pal looks great!

Cigarlvr313

OK well it's time for my build update............some good news, the tabs have arrived and been installed.........some not as good news...........when I cut my winding stem I cut it to short..........I know, my fault and to top it off I managed to loose the screw that holds the counterweight........f___! I have a new stem (2) ordered but I'm not sure where to find a replacement screw........any ideas? I wrote to "Borels" but haven't heard anything back, I'm sure one counterweight screw isn't high on their priority list. I'll keep you posted..........

2NZXk.jpg 2NDID.jpg

Cigarlvr313

I finally got a set of replacement screws from China. I will try to see if one of them will work tomorrow.

SCShrek

Did that case set come with the movement holder and dial spacer? I see a movement holder and you may not need a dial spacer but might have gotten one. Just curious. Looking good. I admire going from complete scratch on a first build. Ballsy. :thumbsup2:

BC1221

I would get a different date overlay. That one looks terrible imo. Especially when the rest of the watch looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottyDog

Great Build so far... I'm waiting for parts to start my first build... it's inspiring to see this  come together, Looking forward to the finished watch.

Cigarlvr313

I've tried everything I can think of to find a replacement screw. I know its just an inexpensive movement but I hate to just throw it away.......any ideas of where to find that screw before I do give up and order a new one? Thanks

Popperini
41 minutes ago, Cigarlvr313 said:

I've tried everything I can think of to find a replacement screw. I know its just an inexpensive movement but I hate to just throw it away.......any ideas of where to find that screw before I do give up and order a new one? Thanks

This movement is basically a 2813 with built in GMT module, isn’t it? For a tenner you can buy a 2813 off eBay and hey presto, there’s your replacement rotor screw! 

Cigarlvr313
19 hours ago, Popperini said:

This movement is basically a 2813 with built in GMT module, isn’t it? For a tenner you can buy a 2813 off eBay and hey presto, there’s your replacement rotor screw! 

What a great idea! Thanks Popperini

Cigarlvr313
On 13/01/2020 at 09:38, BC1221 said:

I would get a different date overlay. That one looks terrible imo. Especially when the rest of the watch look.

When you say "overlay" BC do you mean the calendar numbers overlay? If so I think the "cheap" cyclops really distorts the look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk