Nikosaldente

My 16610 Build

GenTLe

Hey Nikos I didn't remember about this one, well done mate, it looks very very good :)

How many black dial Rollies do you have now? :D

BC1221
Thanks mate!
Maybe [mention=10171]NCRich[/mention] could elaborate about the 5 digit Cases from BP.
Keep your eyes peeled for something that may pop up on M2M Section 

Hahaha if that popped up in M2M, I’d buy it in a heartbeat. I have a JF 16610 with a SH3135 on the way so Hopefully, that will turn in to a 16800 to match my 1680 and 5513. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nikosaldente
1 hour ago, GenTLe said:

Hey Nikos I didn't remember about this one, well done mate, it looks very very good :)

How many black dial Rollies do you have now? :D

Thanks mate! You are one among the members that I say in my post that gave my information, advice and urge to do it;)

Well this was my very first Rolex and it was April of 2018...

Now I must have about 7 of them:rolleyes:

GenTLe
11 minutes ago, Nikosaldente said:

Now I must have about 7 of them:rolleyes:

LOL :D

semperfi55
On 06/11/2019 at 12:09, Nikosaldente said:

Then came a BP 16610 Case with lug holes, BP Dial/Hands/DWO, a Gen Rubber B and a BP Bracelet with hollow middle links and Solid SELs.

Thanks for tagging me and for sharing the process :D 

Apologies for not commenting earlier; life has a habit of taking me away from the good stuff.

One thing I don't understand, so you basically sourced out various BP parts and assembled it? Why not buy a BP sub from the TDs? Don't get me wrong, yours look absolutely amazing but I'm not familiar with 5 digit subs. Is it because BP don't make them like they used to?

Also, nice to see you showing all the steps, great way to inspire more people to start tinkering :thumbsup2:

Fletcher

Great work matey!

Really like what you've done. 

I was thinking about ordering a JF16610, and this has made my mind up for me.

Love the drilled lugs on yours btw.

Theviking

I missed this, love a documented build post, it's god's work. Well done Nik, look forward to your next one.

Cigarlvr313

Very nice Nik!! I can't wait to be able to finish mine......thanks for your help.

Nikosaldente
On 15/11/2019 at 21:46, semperfi55 said:

Thanks for tagging me and for sharing the process :D 

Apologies for not commenting earlier; life has a habit of taking me away from the good stuff.

One thing I don't understand, so you basically sourced out various BP parts and assembled it? Why not buy a BP sub from the TDs? Don't get me wrong, yours look absolutely amazing but I'm not familiar with 5 digit subs. Is it because BP don't make them like they used to?

Also, nice to see you showing all the steps, great way to inspire more people to start tinkering :thumbsup2:

You're welcome buddy!

As I said before, I didn't know which type of watch I would end up building.  Every time an opportunity showed,  I took it! First the movement,  then the BP case and then the rest... It could have been JF or Noob Dial/Hands but I'm glad they're all from BP:D

That's the spirit,  to encourage others to do similar work!

Cheers!

Nikosaldente
On 15/11/2019 at 22:31, Fletcher said:

Great work matey!

Thanks mate!

Did you order it yet?

I love the drilled lugs too!

Nikosaldente
On 15/11/2019 at 23:30, Theviking said:

I missed this, love a documented build post, it's god's work. Well done Nik, look forward to your next one.

Cheers Rory :beer2:

On 15/11/2019 at 23:44, Cigarlvr313 said:

Very nice Nik!! I can't wait to be able to finish mine......thanks for your help.

You're welcome mate!

I look forward to seeing the result of your build!

Mr_B

Top work buddy :Applause:

BC1221
Great job, I had a go at tinkering way back but stuffed the keyless on my favorite BK and got so pissed that I sold it and haven't done anything apart from very basic tinkering since.
BUT I didn't use a face mask so maybe that was my problem

Yea. I’m having a similar issues right now. What happens is, eventually the keyless cover which is what makes it spring back in to the groove gets worn down and eventually will not bounce back completely from removing the stem quite a few times. I tried bending it back a little and it just snapped so I’m waiting on that part to be delivered.
What sucks most about this is I had EVERYTHING ready to be assembled once the new dial got to me and was anxiously waiting to put it all together and then pop! Keyless was done for. :( I was sooo pissed.

It’s definitely frustrating when you know you have everything correctly in place. The date change works correctly, the stem works like it should and then I put everything back together. I go to set the time and the stem pops right out. This happened to me about 10 times a few days ago. I was so close to just throwing it away and just get a new movement but eventually figured out what was going on.

The little notch that holds the stem in place also gets worn down every time you put the stem back in it too so keep an eye on that as well. That’s the worst thing about the asian movements. The parts wear down much faster than a ETA.

There’s a few pieces I always replace on a rep when I get them. A gen ETA mainspring is one of them (for better power reserve. It’s a cheap mod and is worth every penny) Now, the keyless part is gonna be on that list after the first few times it fails.

Oh the joys of having a frustrating but extremely awarding hobby. The feeling you get when you fix something that has been bugging you for days is great. Especially if it’s for a mod and it’s now complete after you’ve fixed that part.

Now I just have to wait for the parts to get here. Attach the dial feet on the patiently shaved dial (thanks NCRich for the dial feet!) and put it all together. I will then have a lovely 1680 with a beautiful richview dial, gen spec lug holes, gen spec spring bars, atheya crown, tube, pearl.. etc. :D

My next project will be here by the time this is complete so I’ll be on the hunt for a nice matte 16800 dial but will lume the 16610 dial with yellow lume until I get a nicer dial. :)

While this hobby can make you rage quit sometimes, it is all soo satisfying when you complete a nice build like the one in this post.

Modding is way more fun than wearing the watch imo. I don’t buy reps to show off. I buy them to mod or tinker with them. It’s a great hobby for people like me with OCD and ADD. It’s something you have to completely focus on and make it as perfect as possible.

Best of luck to all of you tinkerers! Take the next step and start a build. It can get expensive but it will be worth every penny when it’s complete. Especially knowing it is something you built yourself. I would compare it to something like renovating your kitchen or modding your car. It can get frustrating and you’ll run in to some issues but it will be worth it when it’s complete.

BC1221
Great work matey!

That’s what I’m starting my 16800 build with. JF 16610 with a ARF datewheel (JF has a horrible date wheel). movement serviced and the correctly calibrated datewheel yoke so the date wheel doesn’t get stuck or flip 2 dates.

I think it’s about the only 5 digit sub (except TC) that has a gen spec/style case, and bezel construction. BP used to but now they’re using the ETA based date window and have the paper clip bezel build, which is crap. Not having to clip and attach dial feet is a huge plus as well.

Then I’ll be sending it off to get lug holes drilled when JMB has time to do it. Can’t wait for that one as well. :)

Once that’s complete, it will be a 5513 or a 1016 build. This hobby gets expensive. Lol.

semperfi55
On 16/11/2019 at 22:28, Nikosaldente said:

As I said before, I didn't know which type of watch I would end up building.  Every time an opportunity showed,  I took it! First the movement,  then the BP case and then the rest... It could have been JF or Noob Dial/Hands but I'm glad they're all from BP:D

Ahhh gotcha :thumbsup2:

jd1566

Wow.. fantastic.. and I only found out about this build now?!?!   Been off the forum too long, and back here because I am actually prepping to do a 16610/16800 build... No idea where to get BP holes cases so I'm going to try my luck with Startimes, which have a sub holes case.. Which means I have to build the whole damn thing myself!  As for the movement looking at a Yuki 3135 that I see are now on ebay, and a dial from somewhere.. Should be fun.. I mean, there are only 9 dead watches on my bench staring imploringly at me, not to do this again.. :-)

freediver

Amazing work !

Wish i had your skills buddy ...

J!m

Nicely done!

For those interested, Startime has a 99% correct holy case for reasonable money. 

I am contemplating doing builds based on that and selling complete watches. I will use gen 3135 or clone 3135 movement only (because that’s what the case is made for) with as many gen parts as your wallet desires. Gen dials are still somewhat reasonably  priced. 

I’m not a fan of Alan’s crowns. Gen 703/704 is only $100 used. Tube is $20 from WO990. And it won’t leak. 

They won’t be cheap but they will be good.  I’ll let everyone know if I move forward with that idea. If you’ve been collecting gen parts, it could be a good chance to put them in a nice build. 

Bbsee

Looks great mate - curious to know, was this watch a keeper or did you sell it? Haha 

J!m

I built this one for me. 

Nikosaldente
On 09/10/2020 at 10:49, Bbsee said:

Looks great mate - curious to know, was this watch a keeper or did you sell it? Haha 

Still with me mate!

Definitely a keeper :D