Cigarlvr313

2836 Asian Automatic Stem Pulled Out

Cigarlvr313

I'm getting bored waiting for the parts to finish up my 1675 build so I've decided to try and see if I could learn to "Reset My Keyless" on my 2836 powered "Submariner". I've searched the "keyless & keyless works" terms here and on google without much luck. I have searched high and low for a how to video but either I'm not searching correctly or none exist. From everything I have read and found so far it sounds like all of the work needs to be done from the dial-face side of the movement so I'm going to start there and maybe someone can point me in the right direction to find the info I need to complete the task. I found some interesting parts and pieces as I disassem

hrRBW.jpg hrN5P.jpg hr70J.jpg hrvTo.jpg

bled the watch today. There were no clips to hold the movement, just a stainless collar that it sits in and a plastic ring.

hrS9L.jpg hrfNS.jpg hrGKQ.jpg

Cigarlvr313

The dial face isn't held in place with feet and screws, instead it has a ring that holds it on the movement and it just easily pry's off.

hrxD8.jpg hr0MR.jpg

Cigarlvr313

So I'm down to the movement now. I have no idea why the stem pulled out or how to fix it but my next task will be to try and figure it out.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.............thanks.

htZB4.jpg htDUj.jpg

Popperini

Try searching “keyless works repair” on YouTube - you’ll get a whole stack of videos. The Watch Repair Channel guy has done a ton of excellent tutorials/guides. I’d be amazed if there isn’t something useful there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BadPickle

There are 2 keyless reset tutorials here on the forum which I have used many times to reset the keyless on a clone 2824, but sadly photobucket has stolen the pics :sad: 

YouTube has the answer now :D 

NCRich

Dr Fun Socks

Somewhere around 12ish minutes this guy rebuilds the whole keyless system. Its not actually that hard if you follow him. Rate his videos very highly. I tried the way in @NCRich’s video but honestly i found it easier to just strip the whole thing. The date wheel spring is the fiddliest bit but just use a tooth pick or pegwood to hold the spring in whilst you put the retainer in after.

Cigarlvr313

Thanks everyone that weighed in..........now I just need to decide how to proceed........dial side (I'm leaning that way right now) or from the "backside". One thing is for sure though at this point, I can't really hurt a broken watch.

Cigarlvr313

I also found this link which I thought was an interesting read.........  http://www.timezone.com/2002/09/16/the-keyless-works/

NCRich
26 minutes ago, Cigarlvr313 said:

Thanks everyone that weighed in..........now I just need to decide how to proceed........dial side (I'm leaning that way right now) or from the "backside". One thing is for sure though at this point, I can't really hurt a broken watch.

Do the dial side.  I meant to post that.  Its not hard, just takes patience.

Cigarlvr313

I just had to f___ around with it a little......I got the stem back in but now its "stuck"..........lol......oh well I'm sure I'll get it back out.

hTfy4.jpg

NCRich
8 minutes ago, Cigarlvr313 said:

I just had to f___ around with it a little......I got the stem back in but now its "stuck"..........lol......oh well I'm sure I'll get it back out.

hTfy4.jpg

Forcing the stem in can bend the cheap little metal parts and stop them from doing their job.

Cigarlvr313
2 hours ago, NCRich said:

Forcing the stem in can bend the cheap little metal parts and stop them from doing their job.

I had to use the "release button" (sorry I can't think of the proper name) but it slid right out. Ever since the stem pulled out the first time it has gone in and out easily........until today. I just wish I understood why it pulled out in the first place and if it's likely to happen again if I somehow manage to fix it. I decided to go in from the Dial Side.........the surgery has begun.........

hXpbi.jpg hXlTX.jpg hXQoc.jpg

Cigarlvr313

Well the good news is that I'm not afraid to tackle the keyless works issue anymore, I've had the 2836 apart and back together 3 times now and I'm getting better at it every time........:) The bad news is I haven't fixed the problem and so now I'm curious if it's something that I'm doing wrong or if my movement has other issues. I've watched the "How to Service" video that Drfunsocks  posted several times and I'm pretty sure I've done everything correctly. I still have the same 2 issues that caused me to take the keyless apart in the first place. My winding stem won't stay locked in and I cant set the time.........it can wind like crazy but that's all it can do........any ideas guys? Thanks

hugYk.jpg huc3D.jpg huJ7Y.jpg