bilbohobbit

Quality of Panerai reps

bilbohobbit

Hello, 
I have a Panerai PAM 616 Carbotech V3 i purchased from Toro and i am very disappointed now.

It was working pretty fine, no big problem but after almost one year of wearing the rubber strap broke despite the fact i was taking good care of the watch, i don't know if it's possible to find the exact same strap (the original one rubber black with the blue Panerai logo). I contacted Toro aboit this i'm waiting for a reply. Also the watch is becoming in quite a bad condition as one of the small black round plastic thing on the besel broke and i lost it (it's very very small so...). Also the paint markers on the bezel faded and disapperead after only a few weeks of wearing...I really wanted to buy some new watches for Christmas but i'm afraid to have problems with it like it happened on my Panerai...

What do you think about Panerai rep or rep in general ? From my experience it seems like it's better to avoid rose gold plated ones (the quality of the rose gold plating is often terrible), watches that have painted minutes/hour markers on the bezel, flyback chronograph (or even chronograph)...that's becoming a lot of things to avoid...i'm quite sad that none of my reps lasted more than a few months or a year without problems is this bad luck or a real lack of quality ? I know they're rep after all so i can't expect the quality of a genuine one but i don't know if it's worth the money, i wanted to buy this Rolex 

https://www.pf-868.com/rlds-4130-032r-nf-904-steel-daytona-116519ln-oysterflex-ss-cer-ru-black-diam-sa-4130-superclone.html

But i don't know if i'll pull the trigger, for more than $600 i don't want to have it repaired after a few months...

Here is a few pics of the victim, i hope i'll find a solution to get it repaired because i really liked this watch :( 

hu1JP.jpghunaW.jpg

Edited by bilbohobbit

persuader

I have previously purchased same strap on ebay.

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

deju

Even gen rubber straps snap, gen bezel paint fades etc.  

Panerai replicas are among the best value for money replicas, close to gen and well built. 

Rx4Time

You could just buy a genuine rubber from Panerai.   The feeling will be significantly better than any replica.   Cost is $170 new so it's a judgement call, but if you wear it frequently, I would recommend this route if you want an OEM look.  IMHO, Panerai replicas give me the most enjoyment and every example I've had has been very well built.  I currently have 7 and have had probably 20 others over the years.   They offer endless options for straps and bracelet options.  look at straps made by makers like Hirsch, vintage G, donnerix to name a few. 

bilbohobbit

Well i searched for PAM 616 rubber strap but can't find the one with the blue logo...About the bezel paint fade quickly it's actually how to spot a fake Panerai from what i seen on the web lol 

If the paint is not fixable i don't really mind even if it would be better with a brand new paint but concerning the small plastic thing missing on the bezel i'd like to get it repaired if it's possible, i'm still waiting for Toro answer so i'll see what it's possible to do. But i do agree that Panerai watches are beautiful i had a great time wearing this one.

Edited by bilbohobbit

The_Proctometrist

sorry about your broken strap.  the nature of this hobby is captured in the essence of your broken strap problem, so expect the unexpected and be ready to fix, mod or replace.  pan reps are among the best value for the money but no mod will ever be perfect, so expect to be let down.  

bilbohobbit

Well i can find a strap (i would prefer the same like like the one that came with the watch) but if i can't find one i'll see for a different strap. The thing is i'd really like to fix the paint or at least the small black button missing so i'll wait for Toro reply (if i get one). But i agree my issue with this PAM is not the biggest ever. I think i can replace a strap with the right tools (never done it before tho) and for the rest maybe Toro can help me. But what's really pissing me is that if i buy an expensive rep i'll have to see if the TD can fix it because where i live no watchsmith will accept to mod or repair a replica...a few years ago i had one who was helping me to fit rep metal strap to the right size for a few euros but that's it and his shop closed so if i have bigger problems with the movement or something and the TD can't help me the watch would probably finish to the bin. I really love some reps but i have a few gen automatic of small/unknown brands i got for less that 150€ made with movements from asia and it's still working after nearly 10 years without any problem and not even a strap change so if random brands can make a watch that last for years, a rep maker should be able to do it i guess. 

Some of my favorite reps are $600-700+ so i don't know if i will pull the trigger because if they have any big problems, if the movement need to be repaired or modded like i saw on some thread then it will be a pain in the ass to find someone able to do it and it will cost me half the price of the watch to get it working fine lol

Edited by bilbohobbit

Rx4Time
4 hours ago, bilbohobbit said:

Well i searched for PAM 616 rubber strap but can't find the one with the blue logo...About the bezel paint fade quickly it's actually how to spot a fake Panerai from what i seen on the web lol 

If the paint is not fixable i don't really mind even if it would be better with a brand new paint but concerning the small plastic thing missing on the bezel i'd like to get it repaired if it's possible, i'm still waiting for Toro answer so i'll see what it's possible to do. But i do agree that Panerai watches are beautiful i had a great time wearing this one.

https://www.panerai.com/us/en/accessories/straps-and-bracelets/mxe044bs.html

That's the one with a blue logo.  $170 from Panerai. Beyond the ripped strap, your's looks in great condition.  As far as paint, it'll wear off of anything with enough use.  

Here's an older Panerai of mine.  Bezel paint is still perfect, save for the #6 on the left which probably wore off a bit from manually winding it

IMG_20191017_122949a8360febd3c16dd6.jpg

The PVD on this is better then most genuine you'll see.

IMG_20190927_225935e3b68176cb2f19a4.jpg

Rx4Time

Where are you located?   There's a number of Europe based watchsmith who can sort out any issues with the movement, the cavieot being the latest superclone movements, with the exception of the SH,and VRF 3135 and SA4130, have no parts available if they break.  The Rolex clones I mentioned have pretty good compatibility with genuine parts so can be repaired. 

BadApple

Them straps all over Aliexpress for $15

davidcff

There are a number of sellers with cheap strap replacements--I think the fading is normal 

thefever

DHgate has those straps. An over abundance. 

GenTLe

AliExpress: I tell you a secret... Ali turns down the shops selling fake material.

Therefore you'll NOT see the blue logo on the shop pics, and you'll have to dig into feedback pics to see if it's what you are searching or not.

For example this is your strap WITH logo (check the feedback pics):

https://a.aliexpress.com/_TIrOR

About the bezel paint: quite common problem an many reps. I have had the same happening on the bezel of my Rolex Explorer II, on the case back of few of my Omegas etc. Solution is easy: remove the remaining color with a brush and some thinner (if it is not on steel check it will not harm the material first) and repaint them.

The hour marker on the bezel? They are delicate. If you knock on something likely they will go, it happens on genuine Rolex too with their bezel insert luminous dot.

My suggestion: for day by day usage get a smaller watch and in steel, not a huge thick 47mm Pam in a composite material. That one is prone to catch on things and it's more delicate than a steel one.

deju
9 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

I tell you a secret...

Yes you can... 
giphy.gif

• Like 1