Dr Fun Socks

Bezel insert ‘mod’ experimentation

Junior88
5 hours ago, Dazza78 said:

Loool!

I haven't and I hope I haven't insulted anyone

You haven't. 

You're not the one doing the insulting anyway.  And considering the source.........

It isn't even an effective insult. :D 

Just the red headed stepchild begging for his next beating. :rofl:

aitcharGMT
On 26/11/2019 at 15:07, Dr Fun Socks said:

I have to agree the colour/texture ratio on the pen is good, cant fault it. But i know from experience durability is terrible. A few weeks and it looks like shit again. Im going to try running the platinum for a while and see how it holds up. Maybe the acrylic or enamel spray will hold up better. Maybe i should be doing thinner coats, the final coat is normally fairly thick. 3-4 super thin coats could be the daddy!

Excellent post! Regarding the thickness/droplets etc you can try a very very fine grit sandpaper, jeweller's polish compound or there's a product that as a former modeler I used to rub on tiny little HO scale cars to polish the paint -similar to Rodico but in different abrasives grits. Heck, if you're comfortable with the texture and want to increase durability, a tiny amount of transparent lacquer (or whatever your paint is compatible with, be careful with that actually because it can damage the paint it not compatible) and there's also another final coat product called something like nano-finish or something in different sheens (mat, glossy, super glossy etc etc) which if you're complaining about removing the pilot pen, wait to see this one... Best of all is water based... I will come back with the name.

(BTW I've used the methods I've described and I'm happy with them, the difference is that I have a compressor and airbrush, so the droplet size and other things can be adjusted and the droplet is finer to start with.)

Again, great post

Dr Fun Socks
3 minutes ago, aitcharGMT said:

Excellent post! Regarding the thickness/droplets etc you can try a very very fine grit sandpaper, jeweller's polish compound or there's a product that as a former modeler I used to rub on tiny little HO scale cars to polish the paint -similar to Rodico but in different abrasives grits. Heck, if you're comfortable with the texture and want to increase durability, a tiny amount of transparent lacquer (or whatever your paint is compatible with, be careful with that actually because it can damage the paint it not compatible) and there's also another final coat product called something like nano-finish or something in different sheens (mat, glossy, super glossy etc etc) which if you're complaining about removing the pilot pen, wait to see this one... Best of all is water based... I will come back with the name.

(BTW I've used the methods I've described and I'm happy with them, the difference is that I have a compressor and airbrush, so the droplet size and other things can be adjusted and the droplet is finer to start with.)

Again, great post

Thanks for the kind words! Yeah something in the model painting world will definitely help durability. Unfortunately im just a monkey with a workshop and not a huge deal of experience with paints. I do however have a compressor so maybe an airbrush with a dehumidifier (or whatever the water catchy part is called) could be a way to go. Might be possible to get the renault platinum but with a finer grain of metallic flake in it possibly? Ill leave it until summer, as i say im happy with the results achieved. If the durability really is crap with the current setup ill probably go down the silk or matte lacquer route!