FoxWilde

AQUANAUT 5167 STRAPS REVIEW: ZF vs. GEN

FoxWilde

Hey guys!

recently I picked up a rubber strap from a Patek Philippe AD in Italy. It peaked my interest to compare it to my ZF Aquanaut. So one bad financial decision later, I brought home the strap. Here are some pics of my deductions. 

77-F149-CF-2-E09-4-F4-D-BCDD-43-DB73-E11

the GEN is the longer one.

228-E2383-72-A3-4-CB7-BCA2-DABE4-ECA8749

in this picture, the gen is on the left  one main difference is the text of the brand name. ZF (right) does not have rounded edges on the letters like the gen  the same goes with the CalArts a logo. ZFs edges look sharper over all  

27-C0-C35-C-3-A8-B-4-AC4-BAF0-FE3-A401-F
pic above: gen

C9-A99793-0-DAF-47-EC-8-E5-B-C2-C076-D0-

pic above: ZF

36-B74-ADE-D2-DE-4-B67-8-D05-B14-CF06405
ZF on the right. GEN on the left

they are both 21mm in width and the spacing between the two metal lugs are exactly the same. They both fit snug on the watch case. 

996-EF0-E0-2-BDE-40-E3-BB7-A-B62798-C637
the GEN has softer edges on the numbers, although all markings are the same. This, the GEN has a more sculpted effect than ZF’s “stamped” feel. Nonetheless, ZF did good. 
DDBA24-B7-DC0-D-4305-9576-9-B9-D387-C212
Above: ZF

E2-E47-F18-E437-4-A2-B-9-A1-F-2-DFDE1-C0
ZF on the right, GEN on left:

you can see how different the light hits the edges on both straps. The gen’s rubber also feels softer, more “buttery” if that makes sense. The GEN is a bit more flexible. The GEN also has a bit more shine than ZFs, like a freshly cleaned tire. 
(also, apologies for the soap on ZF’s strap, just cleaned it before the pictures)

FAFBD7-C3-4967-4748-A894-C2-D34-C315-E2-

GEN on the top: you can see here the rubber mold lines. It’s good to see ZF’s are the same as the GEN. they both fit the ZF 21mm spring bar snug. 

BB208509-A50-E-4-E86-ABC8-A128-EE6-CB958

the deployant notches line up on both. GEN is on top (the longer one)

there you have it folks!

the difference between ZF’s strap and GEN is minimal, but noticeable next to a gen. But good luck finding a gen strap to compare it to in the wild. I’m overall very impressed with ZF’s strap. It is one of the best aquanaut straps out there. 

• Like 1

Jasonbaylee

Good day foxwild!

Immense thanks for this review !

It is just like the Gen AP roo rubber strap has this shine that’s beautiful as in a gen PP rubber strap.

GingerApple

I've always wondered about Gen rubbers, how much better they are (if at all). I get the impression you don't think the slightly higher quality is worth it. Fair?

FoxWilde

@TheGingerFerret I was curious as well. ZF rubber straps are an expensive order, but the price of a gen from the AD was the same as a very nice rep IMO. Next on my list I’ll have to compare Rolex’s rubber Oysterflex strap.

• Like 1

Jibuti
15 hours ago, TheGingerFerret said:

I've always wondered about Gen rubbers, how much better they are (if at all). I get the impression you don't think the slightly higher quality is worth it. Fair?

I always wear Gen rubber 

GingerApple
6 minutes ago, Jibuti said:

I always wear Gen rubber 

I knew one child would bite! ;)

Theviking

Super review @FoxWilde a great service you do us. 

Jibuti
1 hour ago, TheGingerFerret said:

I knew one child would bite! ;)

Hamilton

Bravo! 

Alan24

Thanks man for comparison! Can anyone simply buy an original strap with a clasp from AD? 

teenup91

@Alan24 I don't believe so. However, I have been able to purchase gen straps through friends who are good relationships with AD's