SCShrek

My 1675 PGC mod - mixed results

SCShrek

I had a spare BP 1675 laying around so I decided to give this a go. This build is completely BP except for the small GMT hand ordered from Raffles

I reworked the crown guards and drilled the case for 2mm bars, faded the bezel and relumed the dial and hands. The dial was a disaster and needs to be replaced but just for wearing around, it'll be fine. Reluming a dial after taking off applied indices is just horrible.

Anyway, I was really going for the PCG's on this build, the dial will most likely be given a second go after another Raffles order. 

Critiquing is welcome as y'all know more than I about this ;)

Lussi.jpg

LuM9X.jpg

LukRI.jpg

Lu4Kc.jpg

• Like 1

RussP

Not bad.

I don't think my extremely limited skills-set would allow me to do anything as adventurous as this.

You will only get better with time.

And spares from Ken @ Raffles.

NCRich

Real nice job on the case.  Those dials are a bitch to do anything with.  All you need is a dial from Yuki or other and it will be fine.

GingerApple

I like it! The dial only  looks a bit ropey if you really zoom in; on the wrist I bet it looks nice. The Crown guards are nice (though I've no idea if they're Gen like as that's not the sort of stuff I notice). The only thing I'm not a fan of is where the insert has some shiny blue bits and some matte blue bits. Between 12 and 3 is most noticeable on the shots above - but that's just down to a shitty insert, not you. Good work! Again!

SCShrek
18 minutes ago, NCRich said:

Real nice job on the case.  Those dials are a bitch to do anything with.  All you need is a dial from Yuki or other and it will be fine.

Surprising, the dial doesnt look too bad to the naked eye but my OCD will get to me. :)

SCShrek
15 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

I like it! The dial only  looks a bit ropey if you really zoom in; on the wrist I bet it looks nice. The Crown guards are nice (though I've no idea if they're Gen like as that's not the sort of stuff I notice). The only thing I'm not a fan of is where the insert has some shiny blue bits and some matt blue bits. Between 12 and 3 is most noticeable on the shots above - but that's just down to a shitty insert, not you. Good work! Again!

What your are seeing on the insert is the "oh shit" moments when you debate between having this insert versus a possible ghost insert. After taking the finish off the insert with a dremel and polishing pad, I put it into hot bleach and this occurred in about 5 seconds...I may go for the ghost and if it's crap, get a better insert.

8 minutes ago, HorFan said:

Agree with Rich, those BP dials are fine for practice but are really so hideous from the start there’s not a lot that can be done to improve them. The raffled gmt dials are 29mm and won’t fit that case. Go for a yuki or get one from this guy:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F264560544477

Good to know on Raffles, I hadnt measured this one yet. Thx for that link :thumbsup2:

NCRich

You don't have to take the finish off to bleach (as you found out).  Everyone ages their first try too much.  For example this is my first ever 1675 attempt (2nd build overall) from 4 or 5 years ago.

A8oAGGQ.jpg

I laquered the dial until the dots were glued down and didn't look like pips. 

A different dial will probably mean you need dial feet.

Intresting

Nice PCGs.  Is the fat font insert or standard BP insert

SCShrek
9 minutes ago, Intresting said:

Nice PCGs.  Is the fat font insert or standard BP insert

Standard insert brother. 

SCShrek
28 minutes ago, NCRich said:

You don't have to take the finish off to bleach (as you found out).  Everyone ages their first try too much.  For example this is my first ever 1675 attempt (2nd build overall) from 4 or 5 years ago.

A8oAGGQ.jpg

I laquered the dial until the dots were glued down and didn't look like pips. 

A different dial will probably mean you need dial feet.

I tried hot bleach before taking a dremel to it and it didn’t budge after 5 minutes or so. I do like the color on yours though. I have yet to successfully use bleach to fade an insert. It just seems hit and miss. I have dial feet from cousins so I can handle that. 

GingerApple
24 minutes ago, SCShrek said:

I tried hot bleach before taking a dremel to it and it didn’t budge after 5 minutes or so. It just seems hit and miss.

Totally is! I've had bezels that have lost all of their paint, literally straight to bare metal, within a millisecond of touching the bleach. I've had other bezels that have hardly faded at all in spite of being left in very hot bleach for ages and then being scrubbed in hot bleach. Then others still that have faded absolutely beautifully and controllably over a few minutes of bleaching. It's pot luck which type you get for sure.

HorFan

Offer that eBay guy $10 less than his asking price.
That will offset the cost of the new feet ;)

Jibuti

cannotbeunseen.jpg

• Like 1

Alhig72
Offer that eBay guy $10 less than his asking price.
That will offset the cost of the new feet wink.png
I've used this guy for dials before, he will, make it with different position dial feet if you ask him, just make sure you ask to keep the gen position for the date window

HorFan
I've used this guy for dials before, he will, make it with different position dial feet if you ask him, just make sure you ask to keep the gen position for the date window

Good to know!

SCShrek
56 minutes ago, Jibuti said:

cannotbeunseen.jpg

Warned ya about looking...;)

Theviking

Well done @SCShrek. The case is great and dials are an arse, when I mess them up, I pile on the clear Matt spray. Better to have a go than not.

Jibuti
12 hours ago, SCShrek said:

Warned ya about looking...;)

I just liked pic of small panther....

:)

Icemix69

Take my money