ZxExN

A7750 Manual Wind Repair Needed

ZxExN

Hi,

Seems like I have damaged my Omega Seamaster Chronometer (2225.80 version) with A7750 by over manual winding it. The auto-wind still works but when I try to manually wind the watch after a long period of not wearing it, it is very sticky and doens't quite engage. Is there anyone easy fix I can do or someone I can send this watch into for repair? It's my first replica watch and I'd love to save it if I can.

Thanks in advance,

Z

GenTLe

You can't overwind an automatic watch.

Anyway, 7750s are quite delicate in the manual wind section because the gears there have an high gear ratio. But normally the feeling you get when you broke some teeth of that part of the watch is not a sticky or hard crown, it is the feeling that you are missing teeth (the force is not constant during winding, sometimes it seems you turn but there is no force at all), plus ticking noise caused but jumping gears.

I advise you to avoid forcing it because you may break something. I did it my self: I had a hard crown but it was caused by blocked autowind reversing wheel, meaning that trying to manual wind I was forcing the auto rotor to spin - fast - and ended up breaking a wheel on the autowinding system.

Unfortunately there aren't around spare parts for this movement: in that section only few genuine ETA parts will fit (if any!), hence the solution probably is just to replace the entire movement, which costs (movement alone) at least 90$ (see https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000128667525.html). If you consider keeping the watch then you may add to it a service to the fresh movement (not less than 120$, at 30$/h which is quite cheap) and another 50$ to set back all together...

If you are lucky instead it's only a matter of a service needed, so you may be able to spare the cost of the movement.

Ah well, and finally you need to find someone that is willing to deal with a 7750. They are quite a pain in the ass to work on. Not really because of difficulties in the movement itself (even if it's not a movement for newbie tinkerers) but for all that goes around (I've seen glued-on hands, setting back all those hands - the non glued ones - is a time consuming PITA, etc).

ZxExN

The watch still works but requires me to get it going by movement. There seems to be a watch repair shop here in Toronto that services also reps so I will speak with them to see what would be required however, your explanation provided me with a rough understanding of the issue. Thanks

Sent from my LG-H933 using Tapatalk